August 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Using an adjustable this month? Which one?

1. Gillette Fatboy

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Gillette Toggle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gillette Executive

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Merkur Futur

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Merkur Progress

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Russian Ideal or Mladost

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. The original adjustable - a straight razor baby!

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. Cookies....just cookies. Seriously, can we just stick with the stupid cookies?!?!?!

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

At the dentist as usual!

RyX, Screwtape, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Adjustable (Arko) August!!!

August 19 Grand Blade Trials

Razor - 1959 (E4) Gillette Fatboy (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

Well, the final shave on this blade is done and......let there be blood. Lots of blood. Seriously, we're talking running down my neck. Don't panic though, it isn't what you think.

Let's talk about the shave first - two passes and touch ups to a very nice DFS but the alum is pretty warm. Quite a bit of irritation on the wide open Fatboy. The best for this blade? Right in the middle at 6, and that with more irritation than any other Dorco. My take on this blade in comparison to the other three? It's not a great choice. If you have access to the ST-301, Prime, or Titan, use them. If you need blades in a hurry and don't have any other choice, finding these at a Dollar General or Family Dollar will give you an option that will work. Hopefully you have something in the middle of aggressiveness in a razor with you. If not, you'll still get a decent enough shave, you just may pay the price in some extra irritation. It's definitely a viable option in a pinch.

As for the blood.........remember me telling you that the blade definitely feels and looks thinner than the others? The feel of the blade ends is very thin and the corners are sharp. Sharp enough that when I began my neck run on the first pass on the right side the corner of the blade end hit my earlobe and punctured it. It's like I tried to pierce my ear and didn't make it through. It is a bleeder and a half in that spot and after twenty minutes of cold compress, ice cube, styptic and more pressure I finally got it slowed down enough to put a bandaid on it. Tough place for that but it's holding and hopefully will stop pretty soon. At least I'm not having to keep wiping it off of my neck and shoulder. Tiny little puncture - like I hit the jugular instead of my ear.

Tomorrow I'm thinking of starting a run through Gillette blades. I have a sampler from tryablade.com and a few others laying around. Some I've used, a few I haven't. I'll decide for sure tomorrow.

August 12.jpg

SharptoothC, RyX, Fup and 12 others like this.
  3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

This is a special announcement from Cartel Headquarters
    The leaders of the Russian/Yakuza Blade Cartel, in a stunning development, held their first ever Summit this evening in the Moscow West HQ in St. Charles, Missouri. Yakuza boss @Bama Samurai traveled under intense secrecy to Missouri as part of his eclipse tour to Kentucky for a meeting with Blade Czar @NCoxSTL . Ivan and the boys ran interference and insured his safe passage through Kansas. Not an easy thing. He has now retired to an undisclosed location for the evening where Ivan and Yuri are standing guard over his quarters (or perhaps so drunk they're passed out in front of the door) but at least their stench will keep any evil-doers away.

The Summit was deemed a huge success as the two leaders, certainly legends in their own minds, devoured dead cow with all the trimmings. As neither really imbibes much in alcohol (despite bragging about it) Diet Coke was consumed in mass quantities. Your fearless leaders wish to convey their confidence that the state of the Cartel alliance is healthy and shenanigans for all have been guaranteed for the foreseeable future, along with continued learning and great shaves!

That is all.

Legends close.jpg

SharptoothC, RetLEO-07, RyX and 12 others like this.
  4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Did you obtain the express written consent of Major League Baseball before reproducing and using the picture of that game?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    SharptoothC, RyX, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

No need. It's the Cards. Any Cards fan has the express permission of our team, the greatest in all of baseball, to take our picture in front of any game and post it everywhere. We call that sharing the love from Baseball Heaven.

SharptoothC, RyX, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I hear you. I was 37 & 39 when my two were born.

7. jtspartan

I suspect I will be in the same boat, Jim!

8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I understand why. She's a beauty.

9. mrchick

Thanks Vince
    Fortunately, the troll gene is a recessive gene.

SharptoothC, RyX, Screwtape and 4 others like this.
  10. mrchick

Looking good guys! The Yakuza still rocks

11. jtspartan

August 17,18,19
    Gillette fat handled pre-war Tech w Nacet (2,3,4)
    Palmolive Menthol (thurs,fri), Tabac (today)
    Omega travel boar
    Thayers
    Stirling Gentleman Balm

Still travelling. Not a lot of time to post, but I've really enjoyed the fantastic family shots. What a lucky bunch of guys! Here is a pic of my two at the beach a few weeks ago.
    IMG_2133.JPG
    Same travel set up for last week on work travel. Flew home late yesterday afternoon and switched out the soap before driving back out of town coaching. Very nice and uneventful shaves with this excellent razor and good soaps. Have a great Sunday, all!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  12. mrchick

What cuties

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Cute and fun!

14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

First I over ran the quote buffer, the correlation between traditional shaving and good looking families is amazing. I really enjoyed the pics! Congratulations to all.

If I knew there was a cartel meeting (and smoked meets) I would have been on a plane!

Now to Sunday's shave:

Like Saturday's razor this razor also requires time and my full attention. I am impressed at it's ability to keep a sharp edge. The edge has finally gone from A+ to A after many shaves. Despite everything I still lost focus once or twice, a small nick, a small weeper and some feedback from the alum but despite the blood a very smooth face and fun shave.

Irritation A- Closeness A+ Smoothness A Sharpness A

Razor: Silverloaf western grind kami
    Strop: Mastro Livi
    Brush: Elite Razor
    Pre: Nivea
    Soap: Tabac
    AS: Lucky Tiger, Speick ASB
    Scent: Chanel Cuir d’ Russie (vintage)

ID - 1.jpg

15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Did you get the whole cookie thing straightened out?

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I've been sending cookies, didn't they arrive? Maybe customs thought they were from the North? :think002:

Maybe I should have left out the kimchi cookies.

SharptoothC, RyX, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  17. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Yup. 42 and 44 here. We just had my oldest daughters birthday party last night. I absolutely love having two girls, but their parties? Not so much love. Did you know "teen drama" now starts around 9?

SharptoothC, FaceScraper, RyX and 7 others like this.
  18. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

How this group of misfits (myself included) could end up with such beautiful kids is astonishing!

In all seriousness, I'm really fortunate to be associated with such a great group of guys and wonderful families. It's a priveledge, gentlemen!

Yet another example. Great looking kids, Jason!

I sure hope so. I still haven't seen one dang cookie since coming here, and I'm starting to feel a bit misled.

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful family Jason. :happy088:

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great looking razor and brush. :happy096:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.