Any Pocket Knife Folks Here?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Redrock, Apr 8, 2016.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I've carried a pocket knife all my adult life. I've had a Buck Squire for over 40 years (the second one, lost the first) and I'm also fond of the Opinal. I own a couple of others but those two find their way into my pocket most of the time.

AGHisBBS and PickledNorthern like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

swarden43 likes this.
  3. cegadede

cegadede Member

Despite having aways found pocket knives neat, I never had one. After reading this thread I've bought a Ganzo f7501cf to see if I like carrying a pocket knife

Enviado de meu Moto Z2 Play usando Tapatalk

AGHisBBS and PickledNorthern like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sorry. We have rules here. No pics, you don't have one. ;) :)

dustmite likes this.
  5. cegadede

cegadede Member

I still don't have it, it'll take about 2 months to arrive (Brazilian customs is very slow).

swarden43 likes this.
  6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Once you start carrying one. You will wonder why you didn't have one earlier. They are great everyday tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PickledNorthern likes this.
  7. PickledNorthern

So true. I even have them spread all over the house, one at every side table where I might sit. Having a Swiss Army knife next to your chair is like having all the doo-dads from your junk drawer right at your fingertips.

DesertTime, AGHisBBS, twhite and 2 others like this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no clue how many pocket knives I own anymore. I have three or four I really need to send back to Victorinox. Cracked scales, loose scales, totally jammed up so you can't open the knife without pliers anymore.... My father has one that the main blade is now about half the thickness that it was originally, due to 50 years of honing. (or more).

Anyone want a box of junk advertising type pocket knives? :) You can use them to teach people how to sharpen without having to risk real steel.

9. swarden43

PM sent

10. swarden43

Case 6318 in amber bone 20170825_151125.jpg

gorgo2, Enrico, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  11. Yossarian04

Yossarian04 Well-Known Member

I do love my spyderco paramilitary 2. I've cut through all kinds of gnarly stuff with it and can still get it back to shaving sharp.

PanChango likes this.
  12. Bookworm

I -hate- serrated blades. Especially the small ones, they're not really intended to ever be sharpened, and often have a chisel grind, which means that you have to just about dismantle the entire knife, remove the blade (and unscrew the thumb screw if you can), then hone the entire _flat_ of the blade to clear out any wire edge, etc. If your sabre ground or compound bevel knife is robust enough, it can cut anything that a serrated blade can cut, and you can sharpen it with a brick if you had to.

cegadede and Yossarian04 like this.
  13. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I carried a half-serrated Gerber para-frame when I worked construction. The serrated edge was the only thing I found that held up to cutting things like landscaping fabric. Even a replaceable bladed utility knife would wear out after three or four cuts, and my Gerber lasted years...

PickledNorthern likes this.
  14. PickledNorthern

I agree that I generally don't like serrated, but you are right, they are good for stuff like that. Silt fence is another one too. Opening bags of sandblast sand is another.

dustmite likes this.
  15. Bookworm

I used a $5 Pakistani made lock blade for things like that. Took _forever_ to sharpen, but then took almost forever for the edge to become unusable. (had to sharpen it on a grinder first, then could move to stones). Heavy cardboard/paper bags of feed, sacks of cement a few times, that sort of thing. Everything else - swiss army knife :)

dustmite likes this.
  16. swarden43

Case 52009 1/2 SSP Barlow gussied up with stag scales, sitting atop my current read, "Bedigo Shafter" by Louis L'Amour.
    20170828_103042.jpg

gorgo2, Drygulch, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  17. swarden43

Has it arrived?

18. cegadede

cegadede Member

Yes it did! Since the day it arrived I've never been without it. It's a lot more useful than I ever thought it could be!

And the knife is great, great finish, takes an great edge and feels bomb proof.

RyX likes this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Buck 305 (1990).gif
    Not the most impressive for number or size of blades, but this recent acquisition already served me on a job site. I had misplaced my sheetrock cutter. This tiny pocket knife did the duty.
    A Buck 305 Lancer, made in 1990. Flea market find for a couple bucks. It cleans under fingernails well.

20. swarden43

Cool! Any pictures?

RyX likes this.