Are Synthetics Really Best?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Steve C, Jul 23, 2017.

1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

While it is the most badger like of the synthetics, I can still tell I am using a synthetic brush. They come up for sale on the BST sections often so you might want to keep an eye out on the various forums.

2. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

It's the only synth I've tried of about 10 over the last three years or so that I don't wind up slinging lather all about my shave den. Used it again just now, and it's a welcome addition to my brush line up. So glad it was recommended here!

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I love mine enough to own two. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc Bagwell, Puma and entropy1049 like this.
  4. entropy1049

That little Jade is very nice! Ordered from Simpson?

clint64 likes this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Yes. PM Sent.

entropy1049 likes this.
  6. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I heard a guy say that it is badger like, but not very Chubby like. He too said it was his favorite synth, but he had some natural badger Chubbies that he preferred. I really love my best badger CH2 and I am going to keep my eyes open for good deals on CH2 synths.

PickledNorthern and clint64 like this.
  7. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Agree. That Jade handle is sweet.

8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Creepiest thing every uttered on the internet, "My cat loves to bat around my Chubby."

True story.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"He among you who hath no synth, let him cast the first stone.." -John 8:7 (NSV- New Shaving Version)
    :angelic007:

10. entropy1049

Forgive me Badger, for I have synth'd...It has been three shaves since my last natural bristle lather...

Zykris, clint64 and PickledNorthern like this.
  11. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

This is my wolf Whiskers black wolf Synthetic knot.

IMG_20170822_234137.jpg

Attached Files:

jaxstraww, Zykris and clint64 like this.
  12. JazzDoc

JazzDoc Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of fine badger brushes and I rarely pull one out as I usually opt for a boar bristle brush (Omega, Semogue, Stirling, etc.).
    Badger brushes just don't have enough backbone to suit me while I'm soaping the brush or even building the lather. I could've saved a small fortune had I been onto that from the getgo.
    Synthetic brushes? Feh, not for me.

13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

You would probably like them better if you traveled as much as I do ... they make great travel brushes. By the time I come back in my hotel room after breakfast, it's already dry enough to pack. To be fair, I flick the knot against a towel a few times after my shave, to remove excess water.

14. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

I'm on the list now and stressing out on which knot to get. I have a Merkur silvertip and a semouge that I love. Hate to blow my spot on a synthetic in case I don't like it.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern and Zykris like this.
  15. JazzDoc

Well that does make sense. To be honest I haven't tried the newer incarnations of synthetics, but now you have me interested. :happy093:

PickledNorthern, Zykris and Eeyore like this.
  16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

They definitely are worth a try, if you haven't used one in the last couple/few years. Especially when you can get them from Maggards, Stirling, Italian Barber for $10-15.

My only recommendation would be NOT to try an Omaga S-Brush for your first. They are commonly bought by users new to synthetics because of the brand name, and their supposed similarity to boar bristle. While they are fine in their own right, in my opinion they bear zero resemblance to boar, and do not represent the more modern generations of synthetic.

17. PickledNorthern

I wouldn't put one in there yet, if you don't even know if it's for you. Too many really good affordable badger knots out there. Try a couple of plain jane synths first. See if you like them. Some end up not.

18. JazzDoc

Which of the synthetics are most like boar bristle? (I love boar for loading harder soaps.)

19. PickledNorthern

There aren't really any if you ask me. But, synthetics seem to load soap differently, so there really isn't a fair apples to apples comparison. Any of them, from the highest lofted Plisson type, to a Simpson Chubby will eat up your soap. They are just a different animal.

entropy1049 and JazzDoc like this.
  20. JazzDoc

Thanks, Jared. :cool:

PickledNorthern likes this.