The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Two minor project razors that just arrived.

Top- A.B.Shipley & Sons. 12/16th. Philadelphia U.S.A.
    Bottom- Black Smith
    P8231156.JPG

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The Barber's Delight arrived........

20170823_162349.jpg

ninjack, Navarrsky, Spyder and 8 others like this.
  3. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

4. Deputy

Deputy Member

Hello everyone! Just bought my first straight razor! It's a H. Boker unrivaled extra hollow ground No. 346. I'm not sure what all that Means haha but I'm excited. $_3.JPG $_3 (1).JPG $_3 (2).JPG

5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Boker makes a fine straight razor. Where did you find it? You're definitely going to have to get it honed, and pick up a strop. Welcome to the dark side:)

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Howdy! Nice razor.
    Solingen/German-made; Heinr. Böker Co. (founded 1869); "Extra Hollow Ground" = a thin hollow grind on the blade (see image below for blade grind styles); square-point tip/nose; Model #346; Boker 'tree' logo used on both the tang and scales. Solid razors that are quite popular—particularly the older models.
    straight-razor-grinds.jpg Boker-Logo.jpg

7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Just got this dandy from @M14Shooter. Super duper nice FW Engles "Special" 6/8. All I have to do is strop & shave. If I can put it down and quit looking at it :D Thanks Mark! It's a keeper!!

IMG_1501.JPG IMG_1502.JPG

8. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Congrats on your first straight .Boker is a fine brand .Like Sypder said .Have her honed and learn how to use her .Take it slow at first.Just do you cheeks at first.Also watch your angle .Keep you blade angle less that two spine widths.Welcome to the dark side .

9. Deputy

Deputy Member

i found it on ebay! got ti for $20 + s/h. I think it was a fair enough deal. Any recomendations on a strop?

Is there anyway to date the blade once i get it? it has the tree on both sides which i really like in the pictures. Gave it that vintage feel for me.

10. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

I would guess 1930's.For your first strop I would get a Whipped Dog Poor Mans Strop from Larry.Just Google Whipped Dog .Larry is a great Guy to deal with.You are most likely gone to damage the stop early on .Once you master stropping you can up grade .

jimjo1031, Keithmax, Kokak and 4 others like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

that'd be my guess as well. Pre-WW2. Tang logo stamp is consistent with the 30s models. :happy088:

12. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    H. Boker Waldorf, Antique store find. This should clean up nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Nice! Love the covered tang! We'll have to watch the before and after thread:)

Billyfergie, jimjo1031 and Kokak like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I was in a Chicago suburb today for a funeral and stumbled across an antiques shop while killing time before the service. They were having a sale and I picked this up. The replaceable blade looks like it will clean up nicely. [​IMG]

15. Deputy

Deputy Member

That's awesome! Should be here tomorrow

Billyfergie, Kokak and jimjo1031 like this.
  16. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Landed a Wade and Butcher and a Joseph Elliot today. Tried to walk away but I couldn't. Also sae a Boker I really wanted but had to walk away as the seller wouldnt haggle. Pretty excited about the big old blade though.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

17. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Awesome finds, I bet that chopper will turn out awesome after that toe chip is cleaned up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie, Kokak and Spyder like this.
  18. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I could shave with it or butcher a cow! That is a meaty blade!

Billyfergie, Kokak and Spyder like this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Very nice finds. I'm sure @HolyRollah is drooling over that big chopper.

20. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Im sure Ill be in contact with. Now I just need to raise the funds to send it to him.