Are Synthetics Really Best?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Steve C, Jul 23, 2017.

1. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Please give me an Amazon example of a synthetic close to the WW synthetic Peter uses. From his pickup in workload I only have a month left before my number is called.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern likes this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

The closest you could probably come is to buy a black and white synthetic from Maggards and a handle from Whipped Dog. Would set you back about$20. I haven't seen anything close on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. PickledNorthern

Okay I lied. There is this:

[​IMG]

Though they are calling it a Tuxedo, I have no clue if it is the real thing or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. JazzDoc

JazzDoc Well-Known Member

OK, Jared, I just ordered up a RazoRock BARBER HANDLE Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush. Can't wait to try it out. I'll report back.

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You just killed all of your other brushes. These new synthetics are an order of magnitude better than natural hair of any sort.

PickledNorthern, Zykris and JazzDoc like this.
  6. JazzDoc

JazzDoc Well-Known Member

HA!! OK, Chris,I'm chomping at the bit! :happy108:

Zykris and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I'm gonna get a cashmere synthetic to sit besides it's tuxedo brother. I'm giving TurnNShave, formerly known as Evershave, a try since Milton has great reviews.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

I have a couple of very spoiled, primadonna badgers that would argue with you.

Zykris likes this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Will they air dry in two hours? If so, you're tied.

Zykris likes this.
  10. PickledNorthern

You've got me on that one.

Zykris likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

I agree that the performance of high end badger for lather is every bit as good; it's the drying time and economy of soap that gives synthetic the overall edge in my book. And price....

12. PickledNorthern

I would give the nod to synths on overall performance in general, drying time, ease of cleaning, and definitely price.

I give badger the win in aesthetics, variety and face feel.

Badgers may be my favorite brushes by a decent margin, but if I had to choose just one, and it was going to be the only brush I owned for the rest of my life, it would be a synthetic.

RyX, Bama Samurai and Zykris like this.
  13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Why should it dry in two hours, except when it is a travel brush? For home use, a long drying time is fine for me.

Zykris likes this.
  14. Bama Samurai

I got one for you, I am an absolutist of thought.

Tobacco processed by Orlik in Denmark is the finest in the world. It's what others, with similar exacting tastes, emulate.

My real belief.

15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

And this happens when you smoke too much of it?

16. Bama Samurai

No. It's actually my fave thing. I preach the Danish gospel on the pipe thread all the time. My wife and I are brainstorming our next trip. I am lobbying hard for a Copenhagen landing. Supposedly, Danes smoke more pipe tobacco than any other people on earth.

17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

But what does it do in this thread? Copenhagen is a nice city, by the way.

I bought this in Denmark last week:

[​IMG]

Bama Samurai likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

I actually wrote a reply. Then decided that arguing over brushes at 1am was no fun. Newbies need to hear the case for badger too. I've made mine for synthetic, and will gladly read your case for whatever you like.

She wants to see Germany as well. With trains and rental cars and such, in at Copenhagen and home from Frankfurt might be a plan.

Eeyore likes this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The train networks in Denmark and Germany are pretty good. I would not rent a car for the whole stay, especially not in Germany.

20. Bama Samurai

We'd use a car see rural and coastal Denmark. I've been to Germany, but not yet to Denmark.