What's the advantage of pre-shave balm?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Galactus, May 6, 2012.

1. Galactus

Galactus Member

I was looking at TSD store, and saw this tub of pre-shave balm. I've heard of post-shave balm and use it, but not pre-shave balm. I usually just wash my face. What function does the pre-shave balm have and how is it used?

Thanks!

RaZorBurn123 and Llyr like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I use TSD Iced Sub Zero (ISZ) Pre Shave Balm (PSB) on the weekends since I have more time.
    I rub it onto my wet face and let it sit for 30-40 minutes, then take a hot shower.
    After the shower, I'm lathering up and grabbing a Single edge; a str8 on Saturdays and an SE safety razor on Sundays.
    I find the PSB helps soften the beard and prep it for what can be a more aggressive shave from the single edge razors.

Some folks rub it on and lather up right away.
    Some rub it on, wash it off, then lather up.
    Some of us like to marinate in it!

Experiment and find what you like best. It's your shave. Enjoy it your way. Don't let anyone tell you how you HAVE to use it.

Tdmsu and Llyr like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Some people also find that a pre-shave balm (or oil) reduces razor friction.

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I used to use the Proraso Pre/Post, but since I got the TSD pre shave balm I find it provides a much better shave - particularly with straight razors and my ATG passes. In the mornings before work I rub it right on before I start grinding my coffee beans, and brewing up my pot. About 15 minutes later I rinse it off, lather up and start shaving. Provides some excellent moisture and definitely softens my whiskers; especially those in my standard trouble areas like the edge of my chin.

5. newb

newb Resident Newb

For me I don't think a pre shave balm really makes a difference. That being said, on some days I still use one as every now and then I like to be pampered.:ashamed001: Emotionally it makes my shave more special.

Llyr likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Geo F. Trumpers advertises Skin Food as both a pre and post shave treatment. Never used it myself, but it's gotten very good reviews by the few willing to pay for it.

Llyr likes this.
  7. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

I use Proraso Pre-Post every shave. I find it helps with slickness, as well as providing a good bit of comfort if a nick is made. After the shave I use witch hazel, but have used the Pre-Post before, and it works wonders then, too. It's all about how you feel most comfortable shaving. As to PLANofMAN above, the only time I've used Trumpers skin food was in a sample pack - it's worth it for the comfort, but I really don't like to smell like a Golden Girl; the coral should be relabelled Rose.

8. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I was never sold on preshave's and thought they were a waste of money, since my skin was naturally oily.... Fast forward to the present, I'm currently using an topical regiment to reduce and clear up my face, which leaves my skin nearly dry, if I don't use a preshave its like buffing my face with sandpaper.

All in all it comes to down to, skill, skin type and preference, honestly I use a preshave *Trumpers Lime Skinfood* nearly daily and my face experiences less irritation overall and I can't go without it; irony at its finest.

Tdmsu, Llyr and alpla444 like this.
  9. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Aaron, my skin stayed oily too. What I found out for me was that my skin was overproducing oil to compensate for being dehydrated. Once I started using a good moisturizing AS (sometimes even before bed when I first started this) my skin has toned down quite a bit. Now the only prep I find is required for me is to shower and let me lather sit for at least 30s before I shave my first pass.

Llyr and Sodapopjones like this.
  10. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

For me I use pre shave products because I have tough hairs. I add pre shave products several minutes before shave and let it sit before removing them with a hot towel. The towel and pre shave products work extremely well to soften and lube the hair before I shave. It helps me achieve a BBS and allows me to get more shaves from the blade. IMHO

Llyr likes this.
  11. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

Preshave can help condition the skin, add slickness, and soften the beard. How much it helps depends on skin type, beard type, and your choice of soap (as well, of course on which preshave product you use). I don't always use it, but it does enhance my shaves when I do, especially if i feel like going for an extra close shave.

Llyr likes this.
  12. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I've been using Prorasso pre/post the last few months and found that i can get away with a faster and more sloppy shave without burn. YMMV of course, but i think it helps a lot.

Llyr likes this.
  13. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Whatever is used, it helps a lot if it can sit on the face for 5 minutes or more before shaving. I have found this is true for pre-shave oil too.

Llyr likes this.
  14. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

I like this method,since I'm retired I have plenty of time.I can rub it into my wet face,make coffee let it marinate for 30 minutes then shower.

15. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

In fact, I figured out what is the quality of a straight shave only after I got a tub of TSD PSB. It really helps to soften the whiskers and gives more glide also, IMHO. I think I'll buy a SubZero version also with my next TSD order. Nice stuff!

16. Ray Settanta

Ray Settanta Well-Known Member

I use the New Formula Proraso Pre & Post Cream Menthol and Eucalyptus. I did a trial where I kept everything the same except for using or not using the Proraso. For me, there was a big improvement when I used it.

17. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

I use a mixture of glycerine jojoba oil and castor oil. When my M-bomb gets here it'll go in the mix

18. JazzDoc

JazzDoc Well-Known Member

I love to use Proraso (Green or Red) pre-shave balm immediately after my shower (I would put it on before but I shower with my parrot and I don't want him getting a beak full of that stuff).
    But I have it on right afterwards (while I'm brushing my teeth, selecting a brush, a razor, the shaving soap or cream of the day and setting out an alum block, etc.). Not only is it a great jolt and pleasantly tingling, but I find it helps with razor glide during the shave even though I rinse most of it it off with the soap's bloom water before lathering up.
    At the very least it serves to continue moisturizing my whiskers and face prior to the shave.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Parrot? Do you have a picture? I want one but my wife says no.

JazzDoc likes this.
  20. JazzDoc

JazzDoc Well-Known Member

Sure, here's a couple of shots - the first is my parrot (Mister Hobbs) on the left and his sire (Kiwi) on the right.
    The second is Hobbs and I.

By the way - your wife is right. Parrots are more work than most other pets are.

Hobbs_Kiwi sm.jpg HobbsMark proc wh.jpg

RaZorBurn123 likes this.