I think I just committed a cardinal sin...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ColtJustice, Aug 30, 2017.

1. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

While cleaning my Merkur Vision, I used a Q-Tip to go down in the shaft and the cotton ball came off and is stuck in the shaft. :signs081: After I did it, I realized what a mistake it was. So now I'm trying to use a paper clip to push it back out, but it doesn't want to comply? Anyone else ever do this, and how did you fix it if you did?:angry032:

RaZorBurn123 and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Ever see those push button clamps for when you drop a bolt down in front of the hood. Maybe if it is small enough you can grab it.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

That's not a sin, just a mistake.

RaZorBurn123 and twhite like this.
  4. ColtJustice

It's a sin when it's your only razor besides cartridges. :p
    Still not having any luck. I'm going to try to unscrew the inside insert tomorrow with a big screwdriver. If that doesn't work, I'm going to use a small drill bit and very carefully try to get a drill into the wad and pull it out.

5. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

can you see the cotton? i would get it wet so it makes the cotton kind of "roll" together which would make it much stronger and easier to pull out.

6. BigMark83

Nix the drill bro. If you compromise the plating, kiss that razor goodbye. It's Zamak, so once the plating goes, the razor follows.

RaZorBurn123, BamaT and ColtJustice like this.
  7. ColtJustice

I can push the cotton to where you can see it with some work, but there are a few places where it sticks. I can't grab it with anything. I will try compressed air from my air compressor first, and see If I can blow it out.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good luck.

ColtJustice likes this.
  9. ColtJustice

Good tip. I'll not use the drill.

BigMark83 likes this.
  10. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Do you happen to have one of those "water pick" devices that blast pulses of water to clean your teeth? That might work if you can get to the other side of the cotton ball and blast it free.

11. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Don't know if this will help but here is a video that shows a simple disassembly procedure.

ColtJustice and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  12. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I had a cotton swab getting stuck in my Rockwell razor handle about a year a go, after many attempts to try and pull it out I finally gave up lol

13. ColtJustice

Yeah, that's what I did, but then I stuck a Q-Tip down the shaft the main rod came out of to try to clean any soap that got down in there. That's when the tip came off.

14. ColtJustice

LOL I'm not liking that solution. It's no good the way it is, so I'll do something to fix it, even if it ruins it. lol In the meantime, I ordered a Merkur 34c to take its place. I gotta have something to shave with! lol

15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Light it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. ColtJustice

It's got me mad enough to do it. lol And all I was trying to do was clean it. So frustrating. :angry032::ahem:

twhite likes this.
  17. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Make up some Schweizer's Reagent and dissolve the cotton.

[edit] if it's a polyester/nylon/other plastic one, then you'd have to use acetone, or MEK
    (one more edit. I _believe_ that the chrome should resist the acid just fine, but you might try it on someone you don't like's car bumper first)

entropy1049 and ColtJustice like this.
  18. ColtJustice

It's a regular Q-Tip, but I don't know what Schweizer's Reagent is. The only part that stuck is the cotton. The stick came out.

19. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

It's an acid mixture designed to dissolve cellulose. Similar process to what they use to create rayon.

Anyway - get it wet, and use a piece of wood. toothpick if it's long enough, but hack the end slightly to make it 'barbed'. Jab into the cotton, then pull backwards, gently. The water should help it come out and stay together.

20. BigMark83

Wow, this is another cleaning mistake I'm guilty of. In my newbie days I did the same, but with a Weber handle.

ColtJustice likes this.