September 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 31, 2017.

?

Which SE will you be using this month?

1. Schick Injector

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Pal Injector

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage Gem of some sort

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  4. Mongoose

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Shavette

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. Artist Club

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. Traditional Straight

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Fooled you - no SE here!

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  9. Cookies. Either let me have some or let me out.

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The End of Summer! But not of great shaves!!

The Cartel welcomes you to the September 2017 edition of the 30 Day Rule and Focus thread. August was another great month around here and, again, fairly laid back as people were traveling and doing the usual summer stuff. But school’s back, the days are noticeably shorter and, well, it’s September. That means Labor Day weekend right on top of us, then settling into the routine of autumn. It also means it’s SEptember!!! Single Edge September has arrived and it’s the month we dig into our dens for the Gems, Schicks and all other single edge razors in the collection. Of course, shavettes would qualify as well along with Artist Club and…..the original single edge…..those traditional straights!! For those of you who don’t own a single edge razor now’s the time to find your first! Or, just grab whatever razor you want to get better with and run that Rule or Focus!

In addition to SE – we’re also declaring Drug Store After Shave month!! Think any after shave you can find in a drug or grocery store. Aqua Velva, Brut, store brands, Clubman etc. And if you want to find some drug store shaving cream, then why not? Let’s celebrate the good old days!

If you're new to traditional shaving, or to TSD, WELCOME!!! Jump in and let the friendliest and most knowledgeable bunch of people you'll ever meet help you along. Ask questions, show us your gear. There's nothing about shaving we don't like to see and hear. Even if you are just starting with a VDH razor and soap, we value you along with everyone else and we want you to become a part of this great community. It won't take long for the enablers within each of us to have you loaded down with razors, soaps, cremes, brushes and enough blades to sink the Titanic. Including the chunk of wood that Leo could have fit on with Rose.

As one of the charter members of this thread, from January 2015, I can attest to the ability of the 30 Day Rule to build basic technique that provides the basis for the use of the 30 Day Focus to sharpen skills and develop new skills altogether. Our quest is, as always, to be able to develop technique so solid and strong that we can overcome any tools that may be at hand. The great overarching philosophy is "Technique Trumps Tools." The only caveat....."unless the tools are defective." One can't use a broken blade or a razor that won't lock the blade down and expect success.

My personal mission has always been to push the limits of the tools, and my skills, to find out what, if anything is defective. Most of you have remained sane and found instead new and wonderful ways to shave. Some, perhaps unfortunately, have followed my lead lately, but hey, no pain no gain. At the same time, practice makes perfect, and we have already learned how bad equipment can be and still produce a great shave with proper technique.

Now, on to the facts in the words of the one, the only, @Bama Samurai : (Please rise) (Take off your hats) (Seriously, do I have to mention pay attention?) (Ok, be good and we’ll hand out extra cookies)

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out.

Rules are the same people.
    1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome. (Maybe I should phrase that “experienced” members)
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. You may not say anything negative about Russian blades, especially Voskhod. The Cartel is listening.
    7. Don't think we don't hear when you badmouth Rapira either. We're vodka loving wannabe Russians, not blithering idiots. Well, ok so sometimes.....and Ivan.....well you get the idea.

Let's have some great shaves people! Welcome to SEptember at the drug store! So first things first.....group hug………and off we go!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

Keithmax, FaceScraper, RyX and 6 others like this.
  2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I'm in! My only SEs are Injectors- E3, G4 '66', I1 and PAL Injectomatic. I will rotate through them in some form.

Keithmax, FaceScraper, RyX and 9 others like this.
  3. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

I'm in as well, have several SE razors to get reacquainted with and a couple of new ones I just got. A Schick adjustable and a PAL adjustable.. Can't wait to try them out and report in!

4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I picked up a nice Dubl Duck Goldedge straight on the 'bay and treated myself to a gssixgun restore. It's on it's way back to me as we speak and Glen's last word before dropping it in the mail was "what a sweet edge". I'm looking forward to comparing some of my honing jobs to one from a master. Actually I already have, as I have a couple of straights I bought from Kevin. At any rate I'm looking forward to taking the Duck out for a spin.

5. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I'm in for single edges, drugstore aftershaves and mostly Stirling soaps.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I forgot about the drugstore aftershaves. I'll rotate through Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, Clubman, and Florida Water. Maybe others if I run across them in the overflow stash.

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I had decided a couple of weeks ago that I was going to focus on shavettes for the month because I feel my technique is getting sloppy using straights, and nothing gets you plumbed up in a hurry like a snapped off DE blade.

But last month was my focus without a focus, and I re-discovered some old tools that I really enjoy. Lucky for me they are all SE's.

I am going to be traveling hard all next month, so the shavette part fits well, and I will toss in a SE or two into the dopp each week when I leave. So I should be traveling with two shavettes and two SE's each week.

I have a few SE's that have made the final cut for a spot in my den, that I will be choosing from:

[​IMG]

And a few shavettes, including a couple that are regulars, and one that should probably be saved for Mayhem:

[​IMG]

I am also gonna jump in with @PLAla and do an all Stirling September. But for those of you who know me, you know it won't be much of a change since almost all my Shave are Stirling anyway. I just looked, and I have twenty of them going right now.

I really think this is going to be a fun month.

MR41, Keithmax, Bama Samurai and 12 others like this.
  8. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Back in June my original focus was on learning to hone. I felt like I could get a straight shave ready, not extra sharp but shave ready. So I switched to focus on an injector I had found in the wild. Since then I have shaved with mostly(99.7%) SE razors.

Right now I am learning how long a Treet SE blade will last. I am on shave number 2. Number 3 is set up for tomorrow. I also have a new(to me) Valet I would like to learn to use.

Sooooooooo................
    I'm in like Flynn. :shaver :eatdrink047:

9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm in! Stirling SEptember for me. I will still use Mitchell's Wool Fat on Fridays but will otherwise strive to use all Stirling software for the month.

I will use all of my injectors and SE razors. I have three GEM razors and a Black Hawk, and 8 injectors. I plan to use one of the GEM/Black Hawk options every other shave while rotating through the injectors. It's going to be a great month!

10. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I've been mostly using Injectors for the past month or so, this month I'm going to try and focus on the Gem razors in my den. Currently, there are four:

- A 1912 which was probably from a travel set
    - A Gem Junior from a WWII military set
    - A Gem Featherweight
    - A newly acquired Gem MMOC

Tomorrow will be the first shave with the MMOC.

To be honest, I've been very mixed about the Gem razors so far. The 1912 has been my favorite of the first three with the Junior seeming too agressive and the Featherweight just not agreeing with me at all. I'm hoping that a focus will either help me get comfortable with them... or cure me of them once and for all. :)

MR41, Bama Samurai, Keithmax and 12 others like this.
  11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am in for SEptember 2017. Not sure I will use all my SE razors during the month but I will be using one from the picture below each day of the month.

[​IMG]

13. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I have a MMCP that I've used 0.25 times. This was about a month ago. It was a terrible experience lol. PTFE Gem. Rode the cap, keeping it darn near flush to my face. Zero pressure. Left me feeling absolutely raw on the few areas I did manage to shave before throwing in the towel.

I hate to admit defeat, but after cleaning the razor I put it in a deep dark hole in my shave closet. I'm thinking I may have to give it another shot now...

14. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

In for an unfocused focus which may include, among other things, a valet autostrop, gems, injectors, and straights. With a soap sample pass around coming to my bathroom, I may stick primarily to my Slim and not rotate through the SEs too quickly as I really want to evaluate the soaps on their own merits. Besides, I'm really here more for the group hugs and newbie encouragement (and possibly an occasional smart#*$ remark). Cheers.

15. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Oh, and I see what you did trying to "bait and switch" your way to getting my cookie vote, Neal. Not buying it this time. Wise up and BAN THE COOKIE VOTE, PEOPLE! :ban:

16. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I don't feel alone anymore...

:D

17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have decided that for SEptember I will join Perry and Jared in using only Stirling Soaps. I will likeley end up using a different razor every shave so my focus will have to be on technique to make sure to keep irritation at bay.

[​IMG]

To this wonderful group of SE's I have also added a Schick J1 and L1 to my collection and have an N1 on the way.
    Handy Photo (1).jpg

18. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Nice! Those are both smoooooth shavers. Nice and mild but effective.

19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thanks Perry. I expect they will shave pretty much the same as the I, and if thats the case I know they will be great.

20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

You forgot about the cookies. Oh. Wait...