Recommendations for a DE Newbie & Opinions on the Merkur Futur

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LSUfanBR, Sep 1, 2017.

1. LSUfanBR

LSUfanBR Well-Known Member

I have never used a double edge safety razor before as I've always been a little nervous to do so. However browsing the threads on this site have made me want to give a DE a try as they seem like they will last a lifetime and make a great hand me down item for a kid one day. I was just wondering what other members started with and would recommend to a newbie? I would like one that is at least 80 g in weight and at least 4 inches in length. I've been looking at the Merkur Futur as it is adjustable, it looks great, is over 4 inches in length, and weighs 125g.

FaceScraper, Jorvaljr and RyX like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Rockwell 6S Stainless steel let multiple lifetimes, 6 adjustment (3 reversible plates)
    An assembled Rockwell 6S weighs: 3.99 oz (113 grams)
    The entire razor is 3.74” (9.5 cm) long from cap top to handle bottom

3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I wouldn't recommend the Futur or its Mingshi/Qshave clone as a first razor. Simply because it's such an outlier in terms of handling. It's huge, heavy, and has a peculiar and occasionally problematic loading mechanism. Many love DE shaving but hate the Futur. Buy something more mainstream. Depending on how much $ you want to spend..the Rockwell 2C is also a fine choice. I don't think adjustability is necessary or desirable in a first DE razor, it just confuses and complicates the learning process. Ordinarily I'd recommend a Krona or Tech but neither is very hefty, the Rockwell certainly is in either its stainless or Zamak construction.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

What he said ^^^. +1. X2.

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Oh and before someone recommends a 34c or EJ89 as always happens, I'll opine that I think the 2C is a better shaver as well as being cheaper (in the US).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  6. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

+1

I have the Merkur Future and it is cool looking, but it is more aggressive on it mildest setting than lots of other aggressive razors. I have the chromed version and because there is no knurling on the handle, it can be slippery. Aggressive+slippery=excess blood. I ended up putting ball point pen grip on the handle and that made it better. But, why when there are lots of better choices (IMHO)? The cap is held on by tensioned wire pins and changing the blade is a little bit of a PIA. Though, that is pretty minor objection. Still, the Futur looks cool. The Vision is even cooler if you can find one. IMG_2370.jpg IMG_2371.jpg

7. LSUfanBR

The Rockwell 6S is a little more than I want to spend on my first DE. However I just noticed they are taking pre-orders for a new model called the Model T which I may buy later if I like my first DE. It will have the same settings as the 6S but with the turn knob ibstead of switchable plates. Here is a pic of it:

DSC_7355_Hi_Res_1024x1024.jpg

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Unless you are particularly clumsy you don't "need" a stainless steel razor, particularly as a first purchase. I have every reason to believe my 6C will outlive me.

9. LSUfanBR

My main worry with a lot of DE razors I look at is that they mostly have handles under 4 inches and I am used to handles around 4.5 to 5 inches in length. When using razors I extend my thumb to the top of the razor. I would have to used a completely closed fist for any under 4 as my fist is 4 inches in height.

FaceScraper likes this.
  10. LSUfanBR

FaceScraper likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Worry about heads not handles.

Pictured below, Rockwell, Italian Barber, Boss Razor. The Boss will cost you $14.99 delivered with a terrific moderately aggressive head (same as the Matador Toro Mastiff).[​IMG]

12. LSUfanBR

I did not realize you could buy headless handles. If I bought a single handle where would be a good place to start looking at heads?

FaceScraper and PickledNorthern like this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Maggards has a selection of razor heads that might work for you.

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Italian Barber and Maggard both sell handles and heads. The Boss Razor is available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FHIKU46/?tag=thshde-20

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  15. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Like others, I wouldn't recommend a Futur as a starter razor, just because of the "unique" geometry of the head. I'd also not be too hung up on the length. You will have to re-learn your grip with DE razors. If you hold it fully in your fist, I almost guarantee you'll have a bad shave. They should be held more like a pencil so you don't apply pressure...

16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Edwin Jagger DE89BL. Works really well. My second razor. VDH was my first

FaceScraper and LSUfanBR like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's a nicely tweaked Progress for a good price. Consider buying one after you learn the basics of angle and pressure on a fixed head razor.

18. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I think Merkur makes a long handled 34c, not sure what it's called. They're great razors and very reasonably priced. I used a Futur exclusively for many years and while it's a terrific razor, it may not be a best first razor.

FaceScraper and LSUfanBR like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

FaceScraper, LSUfanBR and DesertTime like this.
  20. jar

jar Well-Known Member

It is the Merkur 23C.

From left: Edwin Jagger 89LBL, Merkur 23C, Merkur 34C
    [​IMG]

Other relatively long handled introductory razors are the Feather Popular and the Schick Krona.

Schick Krona between two Gillette Super Speeds
    [​IMG]

Feather Popular

MR41, DesertTime, FaceScraper and 3 others like this.