Anybody cut the cord?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by txskimo, Jun 11, 2015.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Jim99 likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Mark, November 30 DirecTV Now will offer a nice package for $30-35 a month that will include Fox News.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

My son and daughter have done so. Me. I'm still using my VCR.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No, it's not Jim... @RetLEO-07 . This thread is only two years old. :D
    Just didn't want to start a new thread.
    Anyway, technology can change quick, and as it has been a while since the original post, I was curious if anything has changed when it comes to live sports. Is there a way to cut cable and still get live NFL games?

RaZorBurn123 and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I receive NFL pass (every single NFL game for every single team, including black out games) via the Amazon firestick.
    You can buy these at Best buy, office supply stores, Walmart, Amazon, eBay, Craigslist, etc.
    They cost $40 and there is a $35 monthly fee for service...unless you get an unlocked one. Unlocked go for 65+ and there is NO monthly fee. There is a legal loophole involved, so it is NOT illegal to do this or own an unlocked one.

In addition, I receive all pay per view for free, all movies (including most at theatres) for free, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, full access cable that includes worldwide shows, etc.

It has saved me approx $3500 since I got one. Go check them out.

6. swarden43

Wonder if I can get NFL Pass via Amazon Prime. We already have that, along with a smart TV. My wife watches quite a bit via Amazon Prime.

Douglas Carey and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Possibly. I use their firestick, but I don't get it through Amazon prime, it comes from other sources. It would be worth looking in to.
    I would look into it via THIS order:
    1) check your Amazon prime account first
    2) get a firestick from eBay (you must have WiFi, however)
    3) Get a Roku
    4) go with a digital antenna. It only gets local channels though.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. swarden43

We have a Roku for the kitchen TV. Cable is hooked up to just living room TV. Sooooo... two sources that will be an easy check.

I do have WiFi.

Thanks!

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I recently got a Roku 2 and I really like it. I can get lots of movie sites and it's easier than connecting my laptop to the TV to watch movies. I can use my laptop, but navigating the sites can be a pain. But I will hook up my laptop to the tv to watch football or baseball games which I can get from the internet and it's free. But if you want, you can get NFL access or MLB on Roku for a fee, don't need cable or satellite.

Edit: forgot to mention, I also have Netflix, Amazon Prime and use my GF's daughter's Hulu plus account, all on Roku.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Douglas Carey, RaZorBurn123 and Jim99 like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Televised Dodger games on Spectrum in Los Angeles keep me tied. But I use Terrarium a lot to stream to my Chromecast. Way better than Kodi on the Firestick for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Douglas Carey and Jim99 like this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Somewhat off topic to the games, I just recently cut the cord as I have just installed two antennas. I can now pick up both NY and Philadelphia local channels. Yeah, there is some redundancy with network tv, but I now have somewhere around 70 channels available. I also have a Netflix subscription and Amazon prime. My cable expense has now been reduced by $100 per month. I think I'm set.

12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have an Apple TV 4, I run a antenna for local channels. I have DirecTV Now and Netflix. I watch ESPN, FOX, CNN, MLB, you name it. I'm not interested in the NFL package, having 3 games on Sunday is enough for me, Monday night, Thursday night.

Jim99 likes this.
  13. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Cut the cable two months ago. We have Netflix and that's plenty for us and the kids. Anything over that was simply a waist of time and money... money I can spend on shavin gear!!

Douglas Carey and Jim99 like this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I also have a Roku box that I love. We can pull in plenty of additional free programs from that.

15. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I find we don't watch as much tv as we used to. I find the quality of programming generally has gone down. What little I do watch I can pick up on Internet (eg YouTube, Netflix).

16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I'm more interested in college football than the NFL, does anyone have experience getting college games other than cable?

Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Try these two sites, usually one will get them........

https://www.vipleague.se/
    http://idimsports.eu/

Jim99 and Douglas Carey like this.
  18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I cut the cable chord about ten years ago. Don't miss it.

19. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

We tried cutting it a while back. We have Netflix and Hulu, which is about 95% of what the kids watch. I just missed my sports too much. We attempted Sling TV at the beginning but had too many buffering issues, especially during sporting events. It just wasn't ready at the time, and it was a data hog. So we are connected again for now. We may try cutting the cord again after football season.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I just cut the cord in favor of fubo.tv via amazon fire stick. I also have netflix.

Tv bill going from 150/mo to 65/mo. (not counting netflix)
    Youtube tv was a very close second choice.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020