Wizamet iridium super

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Cybermonkey, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Cybermonkey

Cybermonkey Member

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if there was anyone with experience with the Wizamet Iridium Supers from www.superiridiumblades.com. I have come across many positive remarks about these blades but it seems the ones available from this vendor may not be the same as those with glowing reviews. If anyone does have experience with them then maybe they could also state their preferred blades. I ask this also as blades are very much a YMMV topic, but knowing people's preferred blades will give myself and others a more accurate way of gauging people's assessment of these particular blades.

Regards,
    Tom

RyX and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

No experience with this blade. But my three go to blades are Gillette Silver Blue, Voskhod and Shark Super Chrome. Got 100+ of each.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've also been wondering if there are any differences between the two. From reviews I've seen on different forums, they shave pretty much the same. But a good amount of people agree that the Wizamets are a bit smoother than the Polsilvers. I've only used the Polsilvers, but I am interested in finding out if any people here have any experiences in the Wizamets as both are Gillette blades.

4. Cybermonkey

Cybermonkey Member

I've just got onto the Gillette Silver Blue bandwagon recently. I'm liking them so much I haven't bothered trying any more of the dozen or so samples I have waiting and I've ordered them in bulk. Voskhod are in the line up to be sampled too. As for Shark Super Chrome, I've been scared off Egyptian blades by Racers and Big Ben's.

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I've used both and still have about 200 of the Polsilver ones on hand. They are both nice and it has been a while since I used the Wizamet ones so I don't really remember details.

If you stumbled across some for a good price and you want them, then go ahead and get them. They are good blades, but there is no magic happening here. That said, I would not go out of my way or pay a premium for them. There are numerous fantastic offerings available for a fraction of the cost. Give Perma-Sharp Supers, GSB, or Rapira Swedish Supersteel a try. They are all nice blades.

6. Cybermonkey

Cybermonkey Member

I wasn't aware the Wizamets were now made by Gillette, I assume in the St Petes factory. I think a lot of the great appraisals of Wizamet blades are of the vintage blades that were made by the Wizamet company in their factory in Poland (now defunct).

7. jimjo1031

I probably should have said that on another forum, it was said they are made by Gillette. I was just too much in a hurry to say that. If true or not, maybe someone here might know.

8. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi, here's a photo of my remaining Wizamet blades-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wizamet is a polish company, that to the best of my knowledge, is now closed. These blades in the photo were produced in Poland. I absolutely love the blades in the blue box. They are the Wizamet Super Iridiums. I personally only can get two good shaves from the average Russian blade. The Wizamet blades usually provide me with five to ten shaves per blade. The longevity of these blades is amazing. The brown box- Wizamet Polsilver blades are not as long lasting. Five shaves is the most I have ever gotten from them. Both of the Wizamet blades are sharp and smooth.

I would like to close by saying I do not think the blades being offered for sale in the link provided by the OP are the same as the ones I have.
    Thanks for hearing my thoughts on these blades. God Bless, and have a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linuxguile and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. Morman Bridge

P. S. - my Favorite blade of all timeis the Bolzano Superinox blades.

10. jimjo1031

I've seen them used by others, but I personally haven't used them.

11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Wizamet was the brand before Gillette bought them out. There are Wizamet Polsilvers & Iridium Supers, after the Gillette acquisition the names were combined into the Polsilver Super Iridium. Some people say the Polsilvers are the same as the Wizamets others disagree. I personally find it hard to believe that the St Petersburg plant produces 30+ different blades and feel that many of them are just re-branded blades of one form or another.

12. Cybermonkey

Cybermonkey Member

Thanks @PanChango
    I have Perma-Sharp Supers in my stash of blade samples I've yet to try. Rapira Swedish super steel I didn't care much for but GSB's, well one is loaded in the razor ready to go.

Linuxguile likes this.
  13. Cybermonkey

Cybermonkey Member

Thank you very much @Morman Bridge. Your response is the answer I was both expecting and dreading. I think the blades in the blue box are the ones I've seen such rave reviews about.

Hey @Linuxguile, I've got to agree with the last statement of your post, there is definitely something fishy going on there.

14. Morman Bridge

Hello Andrew, I have some of the modern Polsilver Super Iridiums and they are not the same as the Wizamet. They are not anywhere near as long lasting. I know I will take some flak over that statement, but it is the reality for me. I know there are a lot of people who think they are the same, but to my experience they are not. I would like to say that I used to love the modern equivalent, but once I tried the vintage ones, they lost their luster to me. Now I use Bolzano's when I can get them. They are almost as good as the vintage Wizamet Super Iridiums.

15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have not tried the Wizamet so I cant say one way or the other. I like the polsilvers but there are other blades that work just as well for me at 1/4 the price, so I'm not running out to stock up on them any time soon.