Gillette tragedy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by urrlord, Sep 7, 2017.

1. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

This past weekend I was at work and was getting ready to shave and had my Gillette Tech with embossed topcap out on the counter in the breakroom with my cream and a/s.I walked out to do something and came back a few minutes later and my razor was on the counter disassembled.???
    I took a closer look realized it was not disassmbled it was broken!!!I walked into the next room and here is how the conversation with my co-worker went.
    My coworker looked at me and said "I dropped your razor and it came apart'
    "It didn't come apart ,It broke" I . replied.
    She looked a little disconcerted and said "I'll buy you a new one."
    "Good luck with that .I got it off of Ebay.This razor is probably fifty years old and it couldn't survive one days contact with you......."
    "oh"Then she turned around and went back to work.
    My co-worker is OCD and was cleaning the counter for the second or third time that morning and picked up the razor to move it,was surprised by the weight of it and dropped it.Breaking the threaded post off the top cap into the handle.I guess I can use the rest of the razor to build a frankenrazor one day if I can figure how to get the broken post out of the handle.
    Damn.Three days later and I I find myself getting a little p.o.'d typing about this.I seriously doubt she will replace anything...unless she comes in this weekend with some piece of trash plastic from the drugstore.

FaceScraper, PatrickA51 and Jayaruh like this.
  2. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

The golden rule of wet shaving:- Is NEVER leave your Vintage Gillette razor unintended otherwise somebody could break it or steal it ;)

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs2.png

entropy1049, Paul76, TobyC and 2 others like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Bummer. Sorry that happened.

5. blain

blain New Member

Nobody except firemen or missile combat crews should be shaving in a break room at work.
    She knew nothing about the razor, but offered to replace it. It wasn't an Eclipse Red Ring but I understand your frustration.
    Since she offered, I'd find some comparable razors and let her know where she can buy another.

AGHisBBS, Paul76, RyX and 5 others like this.
  6. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I am sorry for your loss, :sad024: I really am but there are many more razors out there to try. This just gives you a reason to buy another. Your next favorite razor may be just a shave away.

AGHisBBS, Paul76, TobyC and 2 others like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Sorry that happened!! :-(. I have OCD, but not the "excessive cleaning" kind.

FaceScraper likes this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

You can certainly find another. If you posted pics, you may even have members that can lead you in the right direction.

As a side note, I would definitely ask for reparations. It isn't right for her to break it and not compensate you.

AGHisBBS, Paul76 and Paul Turner like this.
  9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Stuff happens
    Gives you the chance to get another one.
    Life is short, don't sweat the small stuff.

10. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Fortunately I heard that Gillette made more than one of them. It's a pretty easy razor to replace. Post a pic and it's likely one of us might know where you can find one. Save the handle though; it can be used with a different head.

AGHisBBS, FaceScraper, Paul76 and 4 others like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I understand it was yours, she touched it, now it's broke. At least she wants to make it right. I sent a PM.

FaceScraper likes this.
  12. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

entropy1049 likes this.
  13. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Sorry to hear about what happened, but it sounded like you were kind of harsh to her. It was an accident and I'm sure she felt bad. The tech razor is very common and it can be had for cheap.

14. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Well, you left the razor in an area used by others, it was an accident, she confessed and offered to make it good. I think you should just man-up and apologize to her, and get another zamak head Tech, or see this as an opportunity to upgrade your hardware to a nice, all brass, pre-war Tech with the fat handle. (And don't leave it unattended.)

As far as the cost to you, well, you probably spent more for lunch than you will on a Tech, and you learned a valuable lesson in the bargain. :eatdrink047:

15. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

AGHisBBS, Paul76 and RyX like this.
  16. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies people.It was just frustrating,it took me a while to find an etched head tech that was not pitting or peeling..I have the plain and stamped head Gillettes already.I had set my razor out getting ready to go to the rest room and shave.There are several guys at work who do this ocassionally.She had already cleaned the counter with chemicals once that morning so I thought it would be safe.But she apparently felt that lysol was not sufficient and thirty minutes later decided to clean it again with bleach.It was just me and her there that morning .So I did not expect her to come back .I thought it would be safe.Sure it was only a twenty dollar razor,I'll find another one day.I really don't expect her to replace it as her attitude was it was no big deal and the offer was merely pro forma with no real meaning behind it.
    As for being harsh ...I was using humor as I said it and I did not use a harsh tone of voice, so I feel no need to apologize to her.So no need to "man-up".From now on I'll just take it all in the restroom with me at the time I plan to shave,just to be safe.

TobyC and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

In all honesty it's your fault, you could buy a truckload of Gillette Tech's for under 20 bucks each, so it's not that big of a deal like my good friend David said don't sweat the little things in life. Life's too short

entropy1049 likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Unless you work with deadly viruses, her abnormal psychology and excessive counter cleaning is no excuse for a nonchalant blow off. I'm not accepting of people who use "I have XYZ syndrome" as an excuse for bad behavior. That's like someone saying they have a temper so don't upset them or it's your fault. Everyone has a temper, but most learn to control their childish outburst. Your coworker ought to reimburse you the cost of the razor. If not, in your position I'd suggest it's time to up their meds.
    coworker-children-childish-take-your-child-to-work-day-ecards-someecards.png
    /rant mode off.

AGHisBBS, twhite, SpeedyPC and 2 others like this.
  19. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I just want to add my 02 cents in here. So here we go- I disagree with the contention that you are at fault of any wrong doing. Saying you were wrong to put your razor on the sink as you were called away, is like saying it's your fault you left your wall locker unlocked when our outfit called an alert, and you had to leave the area immediately, and someone stole your bank roll out of there. I beg to differ.
    In the workplace, as well as the military, people are paid to behave ethically. It's not your fault you had to leave your property unattended. You got back to it as soon as you were able. The other party should not have been anywhere near that razor, let alone handling it. Just as no one should be in your wall locker when you are on alert. Common curtesy dictates this, as well as common sense. So it is not your fault the razor was unattended. To be honest, it takes quite a bit of force to break the cap off of a Tech razor, so I wonder how it really got broke. But anyway, the best course of action may not be to address it with her anymore. Just move on. At least that is what I would do.

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: