Using a Gillette type blade in Gibbs razor (was: Your Holy Grail.)

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by riffin, Aug 15, 2017.

1. riffin

riffin Active Member

I think I get it. You both mark the Gibbs notches on the Gillette blade. Then you put the Gillette blade in the Gibbs, carefully lining up the markings with the tabs on the Gibbs. Put the cap on and start to tighten it. Then...

Then you, put the towel on the counter. Hold the razor handle in your fist with the head down. Hit it against the towel firmly but not too hard. The knob is engaged with the screw but can slide up and down in the handle. So when you hit it, the knob come out a little, the cap forces the blade onto the tabs and the notches are cut.

I was picturing you bracing the razor, handle down, on a surface covered with a towel for padding, then wacking the head with the palm of your hand. But I think just put a stress on the threads.

So you just tighten the knob until the tabs cut the notches. Does that take a lot of pressure? Any sign that may damage threads, or stress the joint between the screw and the cap?

I'll have to try this...

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It took little pressure with a Permasharp blade. The BIC this morning took a couple tries.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

RyX and riffin like this.
  4. riffin

riffin Active Member

Awesome! YouTube has everything. The next video in that come up, shows how to cut a blade to fit. I hadn't occurred to me to cut the ends off completely, instead of cutting notches. It look pretty easy. It just a matter of when you want to do the alignment. Thanks!

Jorvaljr and jmudrick like this.
  5. riffin

riffin Active Member

No, it okay. I was only very slightly sauced.

Wow, that seemed a lot less ambiguous in my head... I was describing the Personna as a clone of the Gibbs. In fact, I'm not sure which came first.

The shave was every bit as good as I remember the Personna being. It compared very well to the RazoRock Hawk, which take a Feather AC SE blade.

jmudrick likes this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yeah I love the Gibbs. The Personna didn't appear until around the time of the purchase of Personna/Pal by ASR in 1953. The Gibbs first appeared in '37.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    RyX likes this.
  7. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

I very much like my Gibb's adjustable razor, but this looks like a recipe for damaging it. There is no way that smacking the head of your razor is sustainable.

I use two methods to prepare the blades. Once can buy the little 3/32" thick and 3/4" diameter sanding disks for your Dremel tool for a few bucks at a hardware store. It takes me about 30 seconds to do a blade. I also have shears for cutting sheet metal that cost about $15 that I normally use for aluminum sheet metal work, but it also takes about 30 seconds to put a little v-notch in both ends of the blade.

I think these razors are one of the best designs for an adjustable razor, but I wouldn't want to intentionally increase the chances of damaging it. One more example of the very creative mid-century French razor designs.

RyX likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I agree, I'll be buying a punch. I never actually had to smack the head but the point is well taken.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    RyX, BigMark83 and Jorvaljr like this.
  9. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

This looks like an excellent idea as well.

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

A couple of Gibbs-heads on the French forum swear by the punch.

11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Just an FYI, a regular hole punch didn't work for me. I use shears to cut the notches

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yeah, I have small shears which does work ok. This punch specifically indicates use with light metals so it should work well, it's a heavier duty one than the one discussed on the French forum.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  13. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Let me know how it works.

jmudrick likes this.
  14. riffin

riffin Active Member

Or get one of these:

http://forum.shavemyface.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54826

News is scarce, but it seems like the project is on hold. I did contact them to ask if their caps would work in a Personna. They won't. I hope: 1) they are able to bring this into production AND 2) I find enough money on the sidewalk to be able to buy one :}

I put the blade in and slowly tightened it until the tabs notched the blade. It did not take an excessive amount of force. You can also hold the razor in both hands, head up, thumbs on the caps, fingers on the bottom of the head, and squeeze. It really doesn't take a lot of force, so even striking is probably safe, as long as you don't go overboard.

I have tried cutting notches with shears. I found it very hard to line them up. Also my shears are not very smooth so it was a bit clumsy. I just got a new pair that I plan to use to snip off the sides of the blade. I try notching one too.

I'll look around for a punch too. Maybe a square one that cut sheet metal.

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The one I bought specifically says for use with light metal.

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Punch works perfectly.[​IMG]

RyX and BigMark83 like this.
  17. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I was under the impression that razor was dead in the water.

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Especially with RE poised to deliver the Ambassador, there wouldn't be much incentive to continue the head banging.

19. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I meant the Heritage and Style razor. I thought the project was dead.

20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's what I was referring to . My point was there's no reason to revive it now that Razor Emporium has beaten them to it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    BigMark83 likes this.