Original handle or Aftermarket handle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark83, Sep 15, 2017.

1. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Just curious if anyone prefers original handles or aftermarket handles. I tried an aftermarket handle on my tech and find it upsets the balance. But YMMV.

2. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Depends on the razor. I have some new fatter handles I use on my Gillette Old razors and like the wider and heavier feel. The Techs came with either a very heavy Ball End handle or the fat handle and even an aluminum handle. I like all of those formats.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Never tried an aftermarket handle.
    Doubt I will, but that's me.

Ijustmissedthe50s and TobyC like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yep. It depends on the handle.

5. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I change handle if I can achieve better balance.

Some razors just have the balancing point at the wrong place. For example, R41 got a too light handle considering the weight of the head. A change to a heavier handle is well worth, in this case. Another example is iKon X3 with the OSS handle. This handle is too heavy for the light X3 head, so there again a lighter handle improves the experience.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I had to find a heavier handle for the R41, the stock handle was too light.

DRIVER_B likes this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I swapped the handle out on my R41 also, but because the stock handle was too slippery for me.

DRIVER_B likes this.
  8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I usually prefer to use the original handle on a vintage razor, it's part of using vintage. A modern handle on an OLD is like trying to modernize the Mona Lisa!

mona-lisa-duckface-1.jpg

But,... using a different vintage handle on a vintage razor seems reasonable, I have one pre-war Tech head on a common bar handle, and another on a Durham Duplex handle. I'm sure some original users swapped things around either out of necessity, or personal preference.

In general though, as long as you keep the handle length down to three inches or less, the balance will be fine. Folks these days seem to migrate towards broomhandle length handles for some reason, withdrawal issues related to their old cartridge razor perhaps? :p

9. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I kept one Tech in my collection, and I find it perfect the way it is...all original.

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Also very true.

11. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I would change a handle on a modern razor without a thought. But my vintage Gillettes? Can't bring myself to do that. I love knowing I am using a razor (handle included) that is as old or older than I am.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Some work better than others. You have to first ask if you want it for the weight, the grip, or aesthetics. Then ask if the original handle worked well or not...if so, something closer to it would be better.

I have several aftermarket handles. Here is one of my favorites (charcoal goods hammered antique copper on a copper and brass pre-war Gillette tech:

IMG_20170915_101647.jpg

RyX, AGHisBBS and BigMark83 like this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I put a much heavier handle on a DE89 head, and for me, it was like night and day. The shaves are much better with the extra weight.

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gillette did a good job with their handles in terms of balance (modern razors are a different story). You've seen this before I think Mark but I use a Star handle on my Tech which I do think Improves over the originals, ball end and fat handle. I also use it with my Ever Ready 1924.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  15. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

I tried the original handle on my Stahly, but I had to settle for something slightly lighter.
    [​IMG]

Jorvaljr, RyX, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  16. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Those are excellent handles, and the Star razor is as good or better than your average Tech. If you're worried about the Zamak cap on the Star, replace it with a Gillette OLD cap, the baseplate is already brass. :happy088:

BigMark83 and jmudrick like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've used the original handle on my Stahly for a number of shaves. While the cap and base plate do shave well on a different handle it's part of the Live Blade Experience using the 3000 VPM mechanism. Down side is they get slippery and hard to wind with soap on your hands.

18. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

Bulldog. Always Bulldog. Grip, short length, weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I prefer the original handle over an aftermarket one, I do use a couple of razors with different handles.

BigMark83 likes this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Many of my Techs I keep the original handles, but if the original was a bad design or too small, I swap to another.

[​IMG]

In this case I received just the head and no handle, so I used a Durham Duplex handle.

gorgo2 and BigMark83 like this.