Straight vx Shavette Edges

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by JohnDB, Sep 17, 2017.

1. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Well it looks like my work is cut out for me once again.

I had to travel to the northern Midwest and packed my shavette instead of a straight.

So when I pulled it out and shaved with it I noticed the difference right off the bat.
    The blade was sharper. And my feelings were hurt.

**side note**
    I didn't know that I had any. It's been such a long time since they made their presence known I had assumed that they all were dead. I have a feelings coffin and everything to keep them in. I'm scared to open it for fear of the stench of rotting feelings infusing the house.
    **End of side note**

So I guess that I'm going to have to work on getting my straight's edge sharper. I had been satisfied with the performance...but I want sharper still. At least as sharp as the shavette. I have noticed that my handling of the razor has actually improved these past months. My speed of Shaving was very nice. (I started with shavettes and graduated to straight Razors)

So I guess I'll break out the arkies and get to honing.

RyX, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Can Hone a Razor as Sharp as a Shavette or there About..They are Unusable..An Arkie has the Capacity to Over Hone Some Blades..It Has Around a 20 K Finishing Capacity..Some SRs Can Handle that No Problem & Other Cant..Sheffield Hollow Grinds for Example are Optimal Between 12/16 K..An Arkie Can Take them Out to be Lethal..:D

Its a Case of Knowing Ones Hones & Various Steel & What Edge they Can Handle Off the Hone..This is Where Folks Can & Sometimes Do Run into Problems with Some High Grit Capacity Finishers Including Modern Sythentic High Grit Finishers Like the Shapton 30 K..:)

Sharper isn't Always Better..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

SevenEighth, Arnout, gssixgun and 5 others like this.
  3. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

A lot of shavettes are very light weight and I think that can make them feel sharper. Another thing to think about is that the De blade has half the cutting surface and the tugging or friction you feel is due to the straight cutting twice the hair in a single pass.
    Just out of curiosity why would you want your Straights as sharp as a DE blade? You have been satisfied. You get good shaves without too much work. If the straight were shaper you would still get good shaves but it might take you a lot longer to get that edge and keep it.
    Please let us know how it works though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JohnDB, Keithmax and Zykris like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

^^^This^^^ I've had straight edges sharp, that will give a "harsh" , but close shave. I prefer sharp and "smooth", which makes for a comfortable shave. But again, that's my personal preference:)

Arnout, JohnDB, Zykris and 1 other person like this.
  5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

For me, half the enjoyment of using a straight is the unparalleled comfort. I work on the road a lot, and for the last year, probably use a Feather DX more than any razor. I love using it, it may be my favorite overall razor, but I don't get the same enjoyment from it that I get when I use a straight. Aside from the process of using straights, and each razor's different personality, a straight is just more comfortable, and forgiving too. I still get the same end result, I just spend a little more time with the straight, that's all. If I wanted my straights to feel like a DE blade, I'd shave with a DE blade and save myself a lot of hassle.

To each their own. But as @mikewood said, if you were happy with your edges before, aren't they sharp enough?

I agree with you on the technique thing though. I started with shavettes too. Using straights all the time can make a guy a little ham handed. I'm doing a focus with all shavettes this month. It has been good for me. I miss my razors though.

SevenEighth, Spyder, RyX and 3 others like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I think it's just a perception that DE and SE blades are sharper. They are both thinner than straights and have coatings that create a very different feel. I think it is possible to get your straight edges shaper than a machine honed edge by the being difference is in the comfort of the edge.

Try tree topping arm hair with both a sharp straight and a shavette and you can get a sense that shavettes are not necessarily sharper.

SevenEighth, Spyder, RyX and 3 others like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I agree with most of what's said. A properly honed Straight can be easily sharper than a DE blade. I've tested some of my razors, with a Hanging Hair Test, and they cut easier than a Feather DE blade. Now, that being said, that didn't mean it was as comfortable, after the shave. The face definitely feels it with the aftershave. The Arkansas Surgical Black Stone is my main culprit in getting an edge too sharp. I am trying to limit the time spent on that stone, with each razor. It's a heck of a stone, and I'm glad some enablers here turned me onto it.

SevenEighth, Keithmax, JohnDB and 2 others like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Do you use oil or water with the Arkansas Surgical black?

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Mineral oil.