Design and Manufacture my own Straight Razor / Shavette

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Manumik, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Manumik

Manumik Well-Known Member

Hello Guys

My Name is Manuel I am from Switzerland and im new here in this Forum. I always read what you guys talk about but now it is the first time i also created an account:).
    Please apologozie if my English is not perfect. My Native language is German but i will give my best ;).

Fore those of you who dont want to go thru my whole texte i just say it right away ;):

I plan to desig and Manufacture my own shavettes that almost feels and looks like a Straight Razor without breaking your Wallet.

Why do i wanna Design and manufacture my own Shavettes?

In the past I used to shave with a straight razor. Now i have a beard, so I use a Shavette fo the outlines. I just notices, that non of my Shavettes can give me the good feeling and the excitement my straight razor gave me.

When I shaved with the straight Razor it was not just a necessary thing to do, it's always a good start in a new Day and I loved the process. Going in the Bathroom, get my stuff ready and started shaving. Even if it takes longer with a straight razor, i always really enjoyed the process because i have a beautiful razor
    and to be honest, it also cool to shave with a straight razor... i really really enjoyed it :).

My Shavette cant give my this feeling and now I know where the problem is. The Shavette is just a cheap "Tool" for me. My Straight Razor did the same job but it felt so different because I had something in my hand that i really felt, the wheit, the design. I really felt that someone did this with love and it was such a beautiful piece.
    My Shavette is made of plastic / steel and just feel like trash... I shaved with a feather Shavette once but even this could not give the feeling that I am so desperately looking for.

Since a while now i think it would be nice to make my own Shavettes. There are a lot of Brands out there that do a great Job, but i think it's also about the "feeling" you get while you shave, the excitement you feel. That's why my goal is to create a Shavette that comes extremely close to a Straight razor in Material, Design and
    weight.

This is a project i am really passioned about. But i also think it's important to hear from you Guys what's the most important aspects should be to really deliver that Shavette. I am sure there are a lot of things to consider that I am not aware of.

My main Goal is not to make a lot of Money with these Razors. I really want to deliver something I can be proud of and people would love to use. I was working as a Furniture Designer in a Furniture Factory here in Switzerland and I am a guy who just love to create things :).

Even if I am shaving with a Straight Razor / Shavette, I am not so aware on what the most important things are to really deliver a product people would love.
    That why I would be happy if you could help me out on this part :)?

What do i already have in my mind

• The Razor should use Injector Blades and Feather Blades to make it moor feel like a real Straight Razor.
    • The blade loading mechanism should be like the old tondeo Shavette. ( I hope there is no Patent).
    • I would love to make the "Blade" polished Stainless Steel
    • The Design should look like one of these beautiful Custom Straight Razors

I hope this will turn into nice talk where we can step by step create our dream Razor :).

Thank you

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas, I hope your project works out for you.
    Please wander over to the "Welcome Center", and introduce yourself.

3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome

My instant thought as soon as you said "Use a Standard DE blade" is a Kamisori style "Handle" made of Steel to give the same size and weight of a Kamisori yet none on the honing and stropping issues that confound so many :)

The Feather is close but a distant second to a true Kamisori

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a random thought

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Can't wait to see what you build.

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Welcome to TSD. I'm subscribing to see what you come up with.

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Guten tag, @Manumik , your English is pretty good. My German stinks. Glad to have you here. I am new to straights as I love to shave with all kinds of razors. I have not had any luck with shavettes. It always ended badly. I am doing much better with my straights. I make shaving brushes. Perhaps we can do a trade or something. I am interested in seeing your shavette come into being.
    Do drop by the Welcome Center and introduce yourself for a proper welcome to TSD. In the mean time...
    zwelcome2.jpg

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. Manumik

Hey Thank you! That sound good, we should definitely stay in touch then ;)

Jayaruh likes this.
  9. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Keine Sorge Manuel - nach meiner Meinung ist Dein English prima!

10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Definitely.

Manumik likes this.
  11. richgem

Your Dutch has a very funny accent. ;) :D

mrchick and Yehuda D like this.
  12. Yehuda D

Strangely enough I can understand Dutch quite well but I find it very difficult to speak in spite of it being very similar to German. :ashamed001:

13. richgem

That's probably the problem; it's too similar to German, and yet just different enough, for you.

14. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    i-know-nothing.jpg

Yehuda D likes this.
  15. Yehuda D

A Dutch friend of mine here in Montreal speaks perfect German and English. He says that the vast majority of the Dutch population prefer English because they find it even easier than German. When I was in Holland the last time I was hard-pressed to find anyone who spoke French but English was abundant.

16. richgem

German is definitely tougher at least in terms of grammar. (German has 3 genders and many declensions. Verbs are highly inflected. Dutch has 2 genders and no declensions. Verbs have minimal inflections).

Funny tho about English speakers being so easy to find in NL (they start it at very young age). I've read on line "complaints" from students learning Dutch that the problem with going to NL is to find someone willing to speak Dutch when they (the non-Dutch) try to speak it. Well, not that they are unwilling, I shouldn't put it that way. But, that English is so familiar to them, they just accomodate almost automatically.

My own experience in Dutch St. Maarten is somewhat similar. They just have knack for identifying EN speakers at a glance and switching over on the fly.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Manumik

I hope you enjoy it here and good luck on your project. :happy088:

18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Funny reading this. I live in a Dutch community and have come from Dutch lineage myself. When I was a kid all the adults spoke Dutch in the home, now all that is remembered is the "off color" language :)

Billyfergie and Bookworm like this.
  19. Manumik

Drygulch and TestDepth like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Are these 3-d renderings? It looks pretty good, but I am not sure how it would feel in the hand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keithmax, TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.