Blackland Brotherhood (BB)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

FrankenBird! Polished top cap and comb teeth, Machined base, black oxide 101mm handle. Polished the top cap and tooth surfaces because, slippery, and added the longer handle from the 85mm. Customized to suit my needs! I love this razor so much...

[​IMG]

ShaneS likes this.
  2. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    This is awesome! Love the look.

entropy1049 likes this.
  3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Ever Ready 200T with Envy White Two Band by @clint64
    Mystic Water Jasmine
    Blackland Blackbird OC with TRIAD Ti
    Polsilver Super Iridium
    Fine Italian Citrus
    ADP Colonia Essenza

[​IMG]

4. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Gorgeous razor!

What process did you use to polish the cap? I've got an ATT I've been thinking about doing this to.

5. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Hand sanding. Started at 320 > 600 > 1200 > 2000 grit, then 0000 (I think) steel wool. Finally Maas. Pretty easy chore actually, maybe 2 hours in front of the telly.

6. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

ATTPolished.jpg
    Dove into the sanding/polishing process this weekend with my ATT S2/Edwin Jager combo. Same method as @entropy1049 notes above.

Still have some additional wet-sanding to do with 2000-3000 grit to clean up a few minor swirl marks, but its come a long way. The as-delivered machining from Above The Tie on the cap was adequate but somewhat rough. VERY smooth now.

View attachment 143874

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    entropy1049 likes this.
  7. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I'm having a dilemma here, (BBB) = Big Busty Babe?

8. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I ordered a Blackbird with a safety bar in Polished Steel . It's on it's way but I have been reading reviews and now regretting it. I think it will be too aggressive for me. I will try it and take advantage of the return policy if it's not for me.

9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I don't find the Blackbird to be aggressive at all. I rarely nick myself with it. I do find mine to be well balanced and efficient.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern and Spud like this.
  10. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Do you have the SB or OC?

11. Troy M

I have both. Neither one causes me any concern with biting or razorburn.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    PickledNorthern and Spud like this.
  12. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

You're giving me hope

Troy M likes this.
  13. Troy M

I don't regret the purchase of this razor at all. My SB plate is the original with the square corners and the OC is one of the first that came out as well. I have the original long handle as well.

Spud likes this.
  14. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

do you get a nice smooth shave from it? Is it true the angle is steeper? Thanks.

15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

For me, it was shallow. Just off the cap. Smoothest shave I've ever had from a DE.

I would say that is was a very angle specific razor. It wanted to be used in knee narrow angle only. Too steep you are scraping or hanging up on the safety bar. Too shallow, the cap is dragging. Use a little skill? Perfect. Every time.

PLANofMAN, Spud and Troy M like this.
  16. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I agree. You do need a specific angle, but it lets you know when you're off. It took me a few shaves to get it, but once it clicked it was well worth it.

Flyingbald and Spud like this.
  17. Troy M

The razor helps me get the angle right every time. Hands down, the best modern razor I've ever owned (and I own a Weber!) It almost displaced my Gillette NEW SC as the top of the heap.

Flyingbald, LOOT, Spud and 2 others like this.
  18. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Finally received my polished Blackbird. WOW, sleek and beautiful. I will take it on it’s maiden voyage tomorrow AM.

LOOT and Troy M like this.
  19. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

So I just finished my first shave with the Blackbird. The first major thing I noticed was blade feel. I went with my usual Voskhod blade which usually gives me great shaves, but on the first pass I felt some tugging. I had three days growth which didn’t help, but I’m thinking of trying the Personnas that came with the razor; never used them before.
    I did two passes on my neck, WTG & ATG, typical for me., three passes on the rest of my face (W, A, X) and a pass along my jawline. I used Wickham’s Club Cola and finished with witch hazel and GFT skin food.
    It went pretty good; no blood, only slight irritation on my neck, as usual, no worse. All things considered, I will likely be keeping the razor. I will try it again Friday with a personna blade.

Troy M and LOOT like this.
  20. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I gotta get one of these. I know little about them. The majority of what I've read has been positive. Any advice for buying? I think there are 2 versions? Are they readily distinguishable? Either one more preferred?

There are only a small pile of razors left on my gotta try list. I'm trying to get them all :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Spud likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.