What's Your Occupation?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by BaylorGator, Sep 24, 2017.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Well, unless you're lactose intolerant. :(

2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Thirty-four years as a programmer/software developer/code wrangler. Almost all of the last 30 working for one or another Government contractor in support of the US Army. No great stories... just TDY to garden spots such as Fort Hood, TX, Fort Polk, LA and the Rome Labs at Griffiss AFB.

brit, Bobcat, jtspartan and 15 others like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Professional geek AKA systems admin, AKA deals with anything related to IT or has a power cord for a k-12 charterschool.

Ron R, brit, sdguero and 18 others like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I work for shaving goodies.

Ron R, brit, 178-bplatoon and 16 others like this.
  5. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

My wife is a school Band Director as well, Perry.

brit, Keithmax, wristwatchb and 7 others like this.
  6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Great! Thanks for sharing. It's a wild job!

7. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Or a diabetic. :angry032:

brit, sdguero, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Similar career path, here. Semi-retired (underemployed) Jack of Many Trades. I've been a wood butcher/ cut man on several residential home construction crews across the Gulf Coast due to my blueprint reading ability. Developed that skill working my way up the food chain in a lumber yard to store manager level doing material list bids. I have X-ray vision when it comes to houses seeing through siding, shingles, & sheetrock.

Later I shifted to production manager/ special projects builder/ new hire trainer for a wood working company producing Window Furniture (plantation shutters) near Atlanta.

Currently I'm returned to my birth city where my parents settled. Twenty years ago Dad planted a citrus orchard that I maintain. I pick up odd jobs doing handyman work if I like the project. No roofing (worn out knees) or fiberglass insulation (ick- itchy)
    Like @cliffb599, I can't pass up a trash pile because folks are always throwing away interesting stuff. I should have a yard sale.

9. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

I am a Salesman/Project Manager . I deal with commercial Roll-Up doors, Fire Doors, High Speed Doors and Loading Dock Equipment. I also have a paid Football Assistant Coaching position at a Private High School. I coach Offensive / Defensive Lines. Been coaching for 11 years, been lucky enough to get paid for it for 7. This is the first year in a long time that I am only coaching the High School team. Typically I also coach a Pop Warner team as well. I am enjoying my Saturdays now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R, brit, sdguero and 16 others like this.
  10. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

What kind of citrus? Seems like you are far enough north that you'd battle freeze problems in the winter, wouldn't you?

11. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Retired from managing a vacuum cleaner store. I sold and repaired pretty much any brand of vacuum.

Ron R, brit, 178-bplatoon and 15 others like this.
  12. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Fascinating. Its almost as many prisoners in one prison as the whole prison population of the Norseland. We have only room for 3800 prisoners at any given time, and that includes everything from petty thieves to mass murderes.

Granted, we have the same population as Central Park on a rainy day. But it is absolutely fascinating to read about the american prison system

Ron R, brit, Yehuda D and 4 others like this.
  13. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

don't we all!

14. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

30 yrs in the military, 10 years a locksmith, 5 years in city finance dept and now a pastor. Busy busy

Ron R, brit, 178-bplatoon and 18 others like this.
  15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Did you find that some days your job just plain sucked? :scared003:

16. SmokeShowing

SmokeShowing Well-Known Member

Retired emergency services photographer for several fire departments. Also retired high school social studies teacher (economics and government).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ron R, brit, Tiredricefarmer and 19 others like this.
  17. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it was always picking up!:D

brit, Keithmax, polishaver and 7 others like this.
  18. BaylorGator

I'm sure he's never heard that one before! :D

19. BaylorGator

Wow! Great shots. I gotta believe that was a pretty interesting gig.

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Just north of I-10 isn't south enough to avoid below freezing temperatures. When temps go below the danger level, 28°F, we have a sprinkler system that wets the trees coating them in an insulating layer of ice. It also serves to water the trees during dry times.
    Majority of the trees are satsuma, similar to a tangerine. Also have navel, morrow blood orange, Texas sweets, grapefruit, lemon, and kumquat. Around the edges of the orchard are 2 kinds of figs, Japanese and Mexican plums, pecan , persimmon, muscadine grapes, thornless blackberries, mulberry, and a couple vegetable gardens. We aren't north enough to grow apples or peaches that need more freeze time to bear fruit.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

brit, 178-bplatoon, Troy M and 13 others like this.