Cleanin' yer DEs the smart way

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by moviemaniac, Mar 30, 2007.

1. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I can't see any reason why you couldn't clean chrome-parts in any ultrasonic cleaner :confused:
    Anyway, I use an Emag Emmi 5 but I doubt it's available in the US as it's dedicated to the European market and a current of 230 volts.

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

OK, so, I'm assigning you to go research the hundreds of other ones available to us depraved, oops deprived, U.S.A. wet shavers and report back to us in a week on what you find. :rofl

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

oh dear, what have I gotten myself into :eek:

:rofl :rofl :rofl

4. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Excellent idea. For the calcium deposit, I bet a little (1/2 - 3/4) cup of white vinegar in the water would take care of it quite well.

Thanks. Now off to eBay. ;)

5. Steve

Steve New Member

I just won one on an ebay auction. I'm sure cleaning chrome Merkurs will be fine because it's all the same technology. I was in Brookstone today and their's will clean chrome but I saved about $15 buying mine on ebay. It will really come in handy cleaning a Merkur Vision, which has a lot of spaces to accumulate stuff.

Oh and it does double duty for water resistent watches and jewelry!

Steve

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

White vinegar should work just fine :cool:

7. Steve

Steve New Member

Apparently I bought the same model as JP. If he can clean a Merkur HD with his, I suppose I can too. Actually the vendor said it doesn't do chrome so well but he was referring to a different model. I emailed him back and asked him what he meant by that and whether it applies to the model I bought.

Steve

8. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

I have no problem with my chrome Merkur in the machine. I generally add a couple drops of whatever dishwashing deteregent I happen to have around. If I want a little extra shine, then I can buff it with a towel.

I think you asked about doing a brush. I don't think that a lot of brushes would fit in there fully submerged. And I really don't know about wood in one machines, I've never tried that.

9. moses

moses New Member

Interesting. Although I find a little soap scum remover every now and then leaves mine looking brand new, which is the cheap solution. Without the scrubbing. Just apply wait a minute, and rinse. Although, my usual razor is Rhodium plated, so polish isn't really relevant.

Btw, the Gillettes in the first post are nickel plated, not chrome, which I think the Merkurs are.

-Mo

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

thanks, didn't know about that! :cool:

11. Steve

Steve New Member

I received my ultra sonic cleaner and tried it on my Merkur HD. Wow there was a lot of dirty water when it was done! It worked just fine!

Steve

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

great to hear it worked out for you, Steve ::

13. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Hey Klaus! Where's my report! :rofl:rofl:D

14. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I'm sorry, I think the dog ate it :chores016 :rofl

:shocked031 :scared007

15. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

You guys have convinced me that this would be a good investment. I will have to save my pennies though, seems I spent too much $ on razors this month.:ashamed001
    For quick cleanups by hand I do use a liquid jewelry cleaner (without ammonia) and a toothbrush, it really makes them shine.

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Since I have two more Merkur Double Edged razors on the way soon, I need to start thinking about getting one of these. It will also be good for our jewelry which takes a real dirt bath because we work with the horses.

Klaus,

Can you please post bullets of your decision criteria for buying one of these? I'll do the research but, I really would like a starting point. I'll adjust the criteria once I get going.

Thanks,

17. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Rich, here's a guideline:
    a) Buy an "industrial grade" cleaner - they're advertised that way.
    b) The operating frequency should be in the range of 50kHz - anything from 45 to 55kHz should work fine.
    c) the output-wattage should be at least 50 watts per litre of liquid in the tank (mine has 50 watts for half a litre!)
    d) depending on the size of the cleaner it should cost (new price, not for used ones, they're cheaper) at least 80-90$ for a 0,5 litre-cleaner.

That's about it :)

18. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Thanks Klaus! Did you mention something about "True Digital?"

19. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Sorry, I forgot about that. Yes, you should get a digital(ly controlled) cleaner.

20. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Thanks again, big help.