September 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 31, 2017.

?

Which SE will you be using this month?

1. Schick Injector

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Pal Injector

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage Gem of some sort

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  4. Mongoose

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Shavette

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. Artist Club

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. Traditional Straight

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Fooled you - no SE here!

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  9. Cookies. Either let me have some or let me out.

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you Sir!

2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thank you, Gents.

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you. I really don't do that much mixing. Since the drug store brand witch hazel has around 14% alcohol, I just add the menthol crystals and 2 drops of glycerin per oz. If I am using Thayers Witch Hazel, I mix the menthol crystals into a little alcohol and warm water before adding it to the witch hazel.

4. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I do not have the Spicy Jason. As a matter of fact, I found out about the spicy this morning when I started looking around here at TSD for the Brisk Spice.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I haven't found Avon's Brisk Spice in the wild, but I hear it was their version of Old Spice.

6. GarnerPW

Thank you sir.

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Clint!

8. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Jason!

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

You are welcome. When a question about scents, aftershaves, or colognes pops up I go to basenotes. Living in a relatively small city I don't have access to new products for sniff testing.
    Vintage Avon may have more discontinued products than currently available. I'm not shy about popping a top to smell something at a thrift store or garage sale.

10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Amazing set of photos this morning, Gentlemen!

Keithmax, RyX, FaceScraper and 7 others like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. mrchick

Thank you!

13. GarnerPW

Yes, Thank you Andrew.

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Catch up post.
    SOTD Friday 9/22/17
    Razor: Genco 5/8 with Rosewood scales
    Strop: Drygulch Horse/ Linen
    Brush: 30DC LE with Omega 10098 Boar
    Soap: Jeeves of Hudson Street Turkish Bath
    Aftershave: Fine All American Blend
    IMG_7328.jpg
    Had touched this razor up on a Charnley Forest slate hone, and got a perfectly smooth hair popping edge. Three passes and DFS, with no irritation. This soap is awesome to use, and makes a great slick lather. I have four scents of his, and I think this one is going to go into the trade fodder pile. If you like Sterling Gentleman, this is very similar, but IMHO easier to lather. I think I have no more than three shaves left in this aftershave, so looking forward to finishing it off as well.

SOTD Monday 9/25/17
    Razor: Western States Cutlery Silver and Gold 4/8
    Strop: Drygulch Horse/ Linen
    Brush: 30DC LE with Omega 10098 Boar
    Soap: Jabonman/ Eufros Dama de Noche
    Aftershave: The Shave Den Iced Yin Yang
    IMG_7306.jpg
    Don’t use this razor much, because it is so small. I have held onto it, because it is the only example of a Western States Cutlery razor I have found so far. Three passes, and not as smooth as I could be, but decided not to go for a fourth pass. Soap is starting to get low. I’ve seen the bottom twice, and smashed it down. I’ve been using it every other shave, and I think I will see the bottom for the last time on the next use. After the matching aftershave pump container broke last use, I tried to get it open to put into another container. Decided it wasn’t worth the effort and pitched it. I used up the soap that matches this aftershave last month, so am trying to use this one up as well.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful lineups Adam. The Genco razor looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Andrew!

17. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

30 DC Bowl- update

Those of you who were involved in the 30DC LE brush project may remember when I finished the handles that I stated that I had over-collected by a bit. I also stated that I intented to make a bowl to match the handles for myself, and that I would make an extra to PIF to one of the 30DC handle owners to consider the project 'square'. Until this Saturday, I hadn't touched the lathe since the handles. Well, I made the bowl this past weekend and am ready to make one to PIF pretty soon. It isn't an exact copy, but I tried to make a walnut 'rim' that would look similar to the painted bulb on the handles. The figured maple is the same board that many of you have handles from.
    At the time, I mentioned that I was thinking of countersinking dowel 'buttons' into the bottom as lather agitators. I'd never seen this done before, but assume that someone has tried it. I thought this would enable soap to be pressed into the bottom of the bowl without having to deal with grooves, would be a good agitator, would last and would look kind of cool.
    Anyway, here are some pics tonight of the bowl- there is still a bit of minor buffing to do on the bottom of the inside, but that is about it:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Here is what I'd propose- Any one with a 30DC handle who would like to put their name in to get the twin of this bowl, just PM me within a week to say so. I won't finish it before I pick -through a randomizer- because I will match the colour (stained or natural) to the brush handle of whoever wins. I also won't just presume that everyone wants one as some people may never have use for a lather bowl.
    I have to make a few other small projects, and then will get to this bowl, so please PM me by next Wednesday night if you'd like your name in the hat.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  18. mrchick

That is s gorgeous bowl. Nicely done!

19. mrchick

I had two hours between my meeting and dinner tonight. The beach beckoned
    [​IMG]
    Florida isn’t so bad

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Smells like the Drug Store SEptember!!!! (Stirling Booster)

September 26
    Razor - Kai Captain Original AC
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Truefitt & Hill 1805
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    ASOD - The Veg

It's a PAINSTICK PALOOZA around here! I skipped the head shave last week when I was sick so had two weeks of hair to get rid of there. I tried the Slim/Astra on 9 but it jammed up almost instantly. Only one solution. Grabbed the Feather SS and went after it and got a fantastic smooth chrome dome using Arko for the soap. No issues. I'm thinking pain sticks may need to become mandatory for all head shaves.

For my "regular" shave I switched to the Kai Original and used the T&H 1805 and JR46 brush for great slick lather. Two passes and touch ups and I very nearly got the baby in the house. Super shave to set up for the week at work. I'll head out the door with the Mighty Mighty Veg leading the way in the morning.

Two pain sticks - no waiting!

September 26.jpg