Ranking: The top 5 best shaving safety razors.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SteveF, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Mild razors cause people to lean in trying to make up for lack of gap. The different gometrt angles require pressure adjustment... But the results are user driven. The blades removes the hair in the same way across all styles by moving parallel to the skin at a low angle. All DE razors are the same, don't let the handles and all that confuse. I've actually gotten rid of almost all my DE because there isn't much difference between any of them once the fundamentals of angke and pressure control are mastered. There are basically only three basic designs... Tech, Muhle/Merkur and SS TTO. Almost all DE razors are designed to be like one of the three listed, and many are straight clones. There isn't the variety people truly think exists.

stuartganis likes this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Right. Then extra careful.

3. Bama Samurai

My fave safety razor, had I to name one, would be a Schick G. Easy and intuitive angle for cart converts. As far as "best shaving", that's about the user.

jtspartan likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's what I thought you meant :) . I'm leaning towards your point of view, as my technique has (apparently) improved I find myself being able to get comparable results from most all my DEs, including mild razors I used to dismiss as inefficient.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I not only find, that as my technique improves with time and so does my opinion of previous razors, but I also get better shaves with blades I use to give up on. :)

jtspartan likes this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yep says the guy shaving with $.04 Chinese blades. :)

jtspartan likes this.
  7. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Agree with both these statements.

For me, 'best' is probably 'most enjoyable'. With that criteria, these are my current/right now top 5:

1. Canadian Prewar Fat Handled Tech- simple, humble stubble ninja
    2. 50s Flare Tip Super Speed- underappreciated and just gives great shaves
    3. Canadian NEW LC- knocked my Old Type out of the top 5
    4. #53/58 British Aristocrat Jr- a beautiful assassin
    5. Schick E3- I am just ending a 30 day Injector focus, and this is my favourite of the bunch (I think...)

jmudrick likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs002: My primary blades are Russian; specifically Polsilvers.

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Big spender.

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:( First I'm told I buy cheap blades then I over spend. Sorry I whizzed in your Wheaties some how. That's my clue to leave. :scared007:

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Jeez just kidding pal.

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sorry just thin skinned sometimes. A lot going on here and too much on my mind. Sorry once again.

13. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

For me, 'best' is probably 'most enjoyable'. With that caveat, these are my current top 5 (could change any minute) :
    1. Fendrihan MK. II - smoother than the MK. I
    2. Fatboy or Slim - Just edged my 1947 Aristocrat
    3. Maggard V3A/MR5 - I just wish I could get it in chrome instead of that ugly gray
    4. 1948-1950 Tech - Under-rated classic
    5. 1949 Super Speed - Birth year

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The RazoRock Mentor head is the same as the Maggard V3A, except in chrome! Stirling Soap Co also sells it in chrome:

https://www.stirlingsoap.com/aggressive-razor-head/

Keithmax likes this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Linuxguile likes this.
  16. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Though I do agree that at their core most all razor heads are similar, I'll throw my opinions into the arena of ideas. Some are just flat-out more enjoyable to shave with than others.
    1. Schick Type G
    2. Merkur 34C
    3. Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf
    4. Gillette Tech
    5. Edwin Jager DE89

17. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

For my face:
    1. Gillette New SC
    2. Gillette New LC
    3. Blackland Blackbird
    4. Weber
    5. Gillette Slim

Spud likes this.
  18. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

Perhaps I'm an outlier, but I just can't get a close shave with "mild" razors. None of the Gillette razors I own give me a truly close shave, including thin- and thick-cap Olds, short- and long-comb News, Slim set at 9, Red Tip, etc. Nor my Merkur 34C. Nor my Barbasol Floating Head (which I've sold). I need a more "aggressive" razor, like the Muhle R41 2011, PAA DOC Evolution in stainless, Le Coq cage comb (see my avatar), Charcoal Goods Level 3, Blackbird open comb, ATT H2, etc. In my experience, some razors are better than others in achieving a close, long-lasting shave.

Keithmax, Troy M and Spud like this.
  19. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

1. Merkur Progress
    2. Muhle R 89
    3. Merkur 34 C
    4. Gillette Red Tip
    5. Barbaros TR 1

Troy M likes this.
  20. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

1. Colonial Razors "The General Alum. Head" with iKon Bulldog handle (I'm looking forward to get the stainless steel version soon)
    2. Frankenrazor a Muhle R41 v2013 head with iKon Bulldog handle
    3. Parker Variant Adjustable
    4. Gillette Ball End Tech
    5. iKon X3 Slant with iKon Bulldog handle

Troy M and Spud like this.