September 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 31, 2017.

?

Which SE will you be using this month?

1. Schick Injector

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Pal Injector

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage Gem of some sort

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  4. Mongoose

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Shavette

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. Artist Club

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. Traditional Straight

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Fooled you - no SE here!

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  9. Cookies. Either let me have some or let me out.

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

SEptember 30, 2017
    OneBlade Genesis V2
    Feather FHS
    Rudy Vey RV7 with Shavemac Finest
    Reef Point Test Depth
    Witch Hazel with Menthol
    Cool Water EDT

[​IMG]

Another automatic drama free shave this morning. I have enjoyed this week with the RV7 Shavemac Finest. The brush feels so luxurious face lathering that it really added a lot to the shaves this week. Three passes and touch ups almost caught the baby so I went with another pass on my lower right neck. This extra 1/4 pass was just the ticket to end with a BBS shave. Witch Hazel followed by Cool Water EDT and I am ready for a day enjoying the local Fall Festival with my wife. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Cool effects, Rick!

Drygulch, RyX, SharptoothC and 2 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Beautiful photo, Clint! Enjoy the fall festival, sounds like fun.

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

SEptember 2017 Recap

[​IMG]
    I have used SE razors for each daily shave during Single Edge September. During the month I continued to work on improving the results on my lower right neck. While paying attention and skin stretching have helped the results on my neck, the real ticket for me is an additional pass on my lower right neck. Even knowing this, I tend to skip this extra step most days. I guess I have decided I am happy with the results most days without the additional effort.

I enjoyed reading and following along for the progress in shaving and the shenanigans during the month. Thank you @Linuxguile and @mrchick for posting pictures of your son and grandson. It has been nice watching the both grow up. Thanks again for another month of friendship. I look forward to continuing next month.

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim . :happy088:

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

SEptember 30, 2017

PAV Brushworks With Envy White Two Band
    CRSW Juniper
    Colonial Razors The General with Triad Ti
    CRSW Juniper ASB
    ADP Blu Mediterraneo Ginepro

[​IMG]

7. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Another shave, another soap review. I thought it might be of general interest here and cause for further discussion because of the vegan vs tallow aspect of things. I'm interested in your thoughts...

I liked WSP enough that I shaved with it a second time lathering half my face with the Rustic (vegan) formula and half with the Formula T (Black Amber Vanille and Barbershop scents, respectively). First of all, I like this soap and will be adding it to my second tier of keepers. Second, I felt that the performance of the Formula T was a bit better (say 10%) than the rustic in all respects - lather, slickness, moisturizing, you name it. Both were very respectable, though. If push came to shove, I'd probably rate the formula T just above Catie's Bubbles and the Rustic just below it. Honestly, it's the first time I ever gave tallow vs vegan much of a thought. Looking through my list, it's starting to look like my skin just prefers tallow. We'll see if the trend continues.

8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Ditto on the Phoenix DOC; it looks interesting. Maybe, someday...

I've been reading a thread over on another forum that suggests that the aggressiveness of the New C is more a function of the cap and whether it has the correct one (small, square corner tabs which correctly fit the cutouts in the baseplate). It's actually supposed to be about the same geometry as a pre-War Tech.

9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

So once again I fell behind and completely lost track of the thread. I was so beat every night after work I was usually asleep a few minutes after I ate supper. One more shave for the month, and it will be time to find a new focus. At this point it should probably be "Focus on Actually Shaving", since I haven't shaved since last Sunday.

10. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Just a quick wrap-up for the month...

As I mentioned in another thread, I've been dealing with a pinched nerve in the shoulder of my dominant side. Things have subsided enough that I can type without too much issues, but shaving is still problematic at times. I have a Neurologist appointment next week to see if I'm looking at Carpal Tunnel Syndrome instead/as-well.

That said, I've been hanging in with a minimalist setup centered around the Schick '500' Injector. I've definitely gotten to test out the old claims about being safe enough to shave in the shower and shaving with eyes closed. The long handle (even longer than the handle of a J1) has been very helpful.

I don't think I'll be bringing out the OC's for a bit, though, so I'll probably sit out at least the first part of OCtober.

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gem Micromatic ClogPruf
    Gem Stainless
    Semogue BC Mistura
    Stirling Gentleman
    Superior 70

A nice comfortable shave to finish out the month.

12. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

September 30th

40s SS
    TGN Synthetic
    Palmolive Stick
    Thayers
    Stirling Balm

Shave today with the usual trailer set-up.
    This month I stayed on focus until today and rotated between 4 injectors- Schick E3, G4, I1 and a PAL Injectomatic. Got really good shaves with all, including the meatgrinder (finally!).
    For two other focusses this month, I used Stirling products for 18 of 25 shaves, and Drug Store Aftershaves for 12. Stirling products were 7 soaps, 4 balms and an AS. AV Ice Sport and P&G Old Spice were the two drug store purchases this month.
    A great month of shaves, but am looking forward to OCtober and using some DEs again, including my long neglected OT.
    Have a great weekend all!

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yeah the New is not an aggressive razor, really. The open combs give it a bad boy appearance but it's actually quite comfortable and easy to use. I can tell a slight difference between the LC and SC, but then my SC is haunted so that may be why. :innocent

14. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Mark!

15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD SEptember 30, 2017
    Final shave of a Stirling SEptember

Blade: Feather Pro
    Razor: RazoRock Black Hawk
    Brush: Vulfix badger
    Lather: Stirling Sandpiper
    WTG, XTG, touch up

Wow - smooth and comfortable! Terrific shave with this combination and a solid way to close out Stirling SEptember. Really enjoyed the Black Hawk with a fresh Feather blade. Amazing lather and scent from the Stirling Sandpiper followed by a cool splash of the matching aftershave. Very nice overall.

Have a great day!

SOTD 9-30-17.JPG

16. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Another great photo recap, Clint!

17. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SEptember recap:

I certainly enjoyed this month of shaves. The Stirling software is top shelf. No fail, amazing, slick, beautiful, hydrated, and protective lather each and every time. The scents are varied and interesting. For me it doesn't get much better than Stirling. I haven't tried every soap maker and won't be able to as many as there are. I'll stick with what I enjoy and what works!

I rotated through all my razors a couple of times. The SEs made more of an appearance and I think I'll keep that up in trying to use an SE every other shave or so. That keeps my technique with those in better shape.

All in all a terrific month of shaving. The time sure flew by for me as work right now is busy. 60 hour weeks are a minimum, and that's just time on the clock, not including travel time and other junk. We will meet this afternoon and then travel 2.5 hours for a band contest and come back tonight well after midnight. The kids love it but it takes a toll on the adults. But, it's not like this all the time and all of this will eventually slow down. So, no worries, just have to keep your priorities in line and remember to rest when you can. Oh....and not forget about your family! They are really understanding and supportive this time of year, thank goodness. I need it!

Thanks for a great month. Looking forward to October.

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Jim! As a backdrop, I laid out a dark blue shave towel. The black ceramic of the suribachi and brush handle caused it to disappear when I adjusted for contrast. Not my best photo, but it served.

19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

[​IMG]

-Brian Brown 6/8
    -Stirling Boar
    -Stirling Scot's Pine Sheep Soap and AS

Last shave to close out a month of missed shaves, and a focus that pretty much fell apart due to a hectic schedule. I did get in some good shavette shaves, and worked in my handful of SE's.

October and November are typically my busiest months as all of our customers try to wrap up the construction season by cleaning up everything they blew off all year and spending any money they might have left over. The normal method of accomplishing it is to pour ten gallons of crap into a five gallon bucket, and hope none of it spills over the top. So like last week, maybe my only focus will be to keep sort of clean shaven.

20. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Jim! :happy088: Hope your having a great weekend!