Blooming ? No thank you.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by BigMark83, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I’m a bloomer! (and proud of it) :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Norseman and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

My soaps bloom on their own in the spring. Only the floral scented ones though.

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Winner.

I don't bloom soap. I also live with some of the hardest water in the nation. Blooming is not needed, making lather is a technique based process.

jimjo1031 and BigMark83 like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Just keep writing, we'll figure it out.

jimjo1031 and wristwatchb like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Lookin' good, Primo!

1.jpg

6. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

7. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Are those the daily Bloomers or the good ones for Sundays?

9. wristwatchb

Well, for most of us, Rich, those would be our good ones. However, I'm sure these are Primo's everyday variety. :D

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. wristwatchb

Sorry if I've had too much fun with your thread.

I generally don't bloom my soaps. Sufficient water on my face and my brush usually allows me to get a good lather. For soaps that prove more difficult for me, such as MWF, I will either grate it and press it into a shave stick or rub the puck directly on my face.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Hmmmm.... good to know.....? Primo and his fancy pants.

12. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I don't think anyone has said that blooming is needed. for me it just makes it easier and more effective.
    I don't buy the waste soap argument either. If you lather for 30 seconds, without the bloom or 15 seconds with the bloom and get the same result, where's the waste?

To be honest, I haven't done extensive research on this matter or consulted the force. But perhaps I should try to shave with my bloomers using only a slightly damp brush and see of there really is any changes or if it just in my imagination.
    I like my imagination and have no problem with it tricking me from time to time, but this thread has made me curious.

13. Bama Samurai

I really tried it both ways enough that I feel like it's just an extra step and added time, for little benefit. Ideal lather (may be user defined and individually unique) contains a specific ratio of soap/water/air. There are indeed a few ways to make that ideal happen. If one likes to bloom soap, no one really cares, but it's not an absolute necessity and doesn't add much for me other than time.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The "No-Time" argument doesn't apply in my case. I bloom my soaps (triple-milled only) while in the shower. Pour off the bloom water into my Aesop bowl, which I use to hydrate my lather (if necessary) and my face. Works for me and, as we have all heard here before, that's all that really matters! :)
    To (mis) quote Shakespeare: "To bloom or not to bloom, that is the question..."

EnglishChannel, LOOT, RyX and 3 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

Some say that blooming releases the fragrance (the "bloom") of the soap for greater enjoyment. If you are into scents, then that may be reason enough to bloom. This also helps me understand how the term "blooming" may have originated.

I think most here would agree that this whole wet shaving thing is about the experience more than just the shave itself. So, if you like to bloom, bowl lather, use a brush scuttle, or shave with a DE blade taped to your index finger, then go for it!

I don't bloom simply because it is not needed to get a good lather with the soaps I normally use. If I run across a soap that takes more effort than I want to invest in making a good lather, it gets PIF'd or reassigned to face, hand, or shower soap. The "takes more time" or "wasting soap" arguments don't "hold water" for me. We all make time to do things we want to do (ex: post on TSD), and the soap cost is literally pennies per use. A lot of us have more than a few bucks invested in shaving items we really don't need, so that would suggest that most of us aren't worried about cost.

Drygulch, Primotenore and RyX like this.
  16. ralphs007

ralphs007 Member

I like to bloom my soap while I'm taking my shower.When I get out,I use the bloom water for a nice pre-shave. I picked this tip up from a shaving videos I watched by geofatboy.

Primotenore and wristwatchb like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

I face lathered à hard triple milled soap with a damp synthetic tonight.

No blooming needed.

18. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Same results here with Klar soap, and it's quintuple milled.

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

This guy looks like a blooming idiot!

canoeroller and wristwatchb like this.
  20. ralphs007

ralphs007 Member

:D