DE Pack Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Zykris, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

So am I!

Linuxguile likes this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: head and face shave, three passes each. Here is the gear.
    Razor: German 37 Slant by RazoRock
    Blade: NEW Lord Platinum Class(Randomly picked)
    Brush: 24mm Full Moon Knot by TurnNShave (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave )
    Soap: Stirling's Piacenza
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed by Florida Water and topped off with Stirling's Unscented Glacial Aftershave Balm

Went for a three pass head/face shave today. Started with the face and that went really well. When it came to my head shave, the blade started showing it's degrading edge. First pass, great. Second pass, eh took a little more buffing. Third pass, it just wasn't cutting it. But I got some good shaves out of it.

Current ranking:
    1: Sputnik. For the really comfortable smoothness of the blade.
    1. Gillette Rubie Plantinum. This blade has tied the Sputnik Teflon Coated easily in my mind. Very smooth. I could barely feel the sharpness but it mowed whiskers like a boss.
    2. Personna Lab Blue. For a lovely balance for smoothness and sharpness. What treat!
    3. Astra SP. For the sharpness and mid range smoothness, longevity of the blade.
    4. Gillette 7'Clock SP. Pretty good blade with mid range sharpness. The two before it had better performance IMO.
    5. Voshkod. The blade was smooth but it didn't last long for me. Sharpness is not near Sputnik IMO.
    6. NEW Lord Platinum Class. Smooth, comfortable. Sharp enough to get the job done. Not a top five but definitely worth considering for future purchases.
    7. Perma Sharp Super. Very smooth and comfortable with decent sharpness. But only good for one use.
    8. BiC Chrome. Very sharp, mid range smooth. Very irritating blade.
    9. Treet. Just did not work out for me. Not really that sharp, not really that smooth either.

Moved BiC down my list. It still did the job better than the Treat black blade I had but irritated the crap out of my skin. Stay tuned for the next random blade pick!

Linuxguile likes this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Blade: Ladas Super Stainless, Rapira Platinum Lux (Randomly picked)
    Brush: 24mm Full Moon Knot by TurnNShave (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave )
    Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Preshave: Sweet Almond Oil
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed by Stirling's Unscented Glacial Aftershave Balm

First, I was going to only use the Ladas blade for my full head/face shave today. As I was getting my shave on, the with the grain passes felt a little tuggy. I tried consciously adapting my angle a little more and it seemed to help just a little but it still felt tuggy. Across the grain, well that felt great! I finished off my face shave a little on the irritated side, alum block loved making my skin sing. So instead of tempting fate for both a possibly irritated face and head, I switched the blade on a random. In comes the Rapira Platinum Lux. That blade felt much better over all! Where as the Ladas right now is hard to rate appropriately, the Rapira Platinum Lux was smooth with just a little under medium sharpness. My head still got a little irritated but not much more than my normal. What I plan to do for my next face/head shave is switch the blades usage. The Ladas will go for my head while the Rapira takes care of my face. Just to rule out a bad technique day.

Enrico and Linuxguile like this.
  4. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Personally, I rate Rapira PL as sharper than Sputnik, but less smooth. But with some variation in quality of Rapira PL, it would not completely surprise me if some of them would be less sharp.

Linuxguile and Zykris like this.
  5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Went ahead with my usual three pass head/face shave. Except I switched the blades for the respective areas. This time face was used with Rapira Platinum Lux and the head was used with Ladas Super Stainless. Otherwise my set up was as per normal. I'm finding it difficult to rate these blades. The shave feeling was the same regardless of the blade and area shaved. I'm ok with both. I'm not finding the spark that makes me go, " Oh, I remember the Personna labs were both smooth and sharp," or " Man, I wish I had a Sputnik blade about now." Now don't get me wrong, they get the job done. I'll have to use them a few more times before I can figure out where my preference is with them. Otherwise, good shave tonight!

Linuxguile likes this.
  6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Blade: Super Maxx Superior Platinum
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed by Stirling's Unscented Glacial Aftershave Balm

I decided to take a break from the Ladas and the Rapira blade and actively choose to go with a non stainless steel blade. So I chose the Super Maxx Superior Platinum. I've had good shaves from platinum coatings. And this one didn't falter me either. Mid grade level of sharpness and a mid grade level of smoothness. Mild irritation in my usual spots; neck, chin are and a few spots on my head/neck. I did like the performance of the blade. Now I'll go back and recheck the Ladas and Rapira then give a graded rank.

7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Face Shave, Two pass. Gear Used:
    Razor: Muhle R41 (2013)
    Blade: Super Maxx Superior Platinum (2nd use)

Today, I got in my new razor the Muhle R41, 2013 edition. I just couldn't resist giving that bad boy a shot. MWF lathered up nice and good. Now when it came to using the razor and the blade in combination...not bad at all! It didn't take long to find the right angle with the razor. Even with the manufacturer handle in place, I had very little issues during the shave. My neck got a tiny, tiny nick in like three places. But it mowed any stubble that grew within 24 hours with the help of the SuperMax Superior Platinum. I'm very pleased. Especially since the alum block told me my neck, a sensitive zone, didn't hate the razor as much as my slant razor. So for now, all future blade testings are going to be with the Muhle R41. That's gonna be my main driver. Stay tuned for a head shave tomorrow.

Linuxguile likes this.
  8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass head/face shave. Gear Used:
    Razor: Muhle R41 (2013)
    Blade: Super Maxx Superior Platinum (3nd use)
    Soap: Maggard's Leather & Tobacco

I couldn't resist but do a full head/face shave. The Muhle R41, is my favorite razor now, mowed all that stubble down well. The SuperMax definitely was slowing down when I went from my head to a face shave. It tugged here and there but made it through the full shave before being retired. So far I've noticed that the R41 is less irritating to my skin. I can find the angles easily and the alum block is showing that my face and head have less stinging. My neck is stinging a little more just because of it being a more sensitive area for me. I may be able to shave again for my first fourth day in a row on my face. I may just tempt fate. I'm going to 'attempt' the Ladas blade again but I'm prepared to use a fresh blade if any issues arise from using it. Stay tuned!

9. Engblom

At least for me, R41 is tugging more than other razors. This means you probably have a slightly shorter blade life with R41.

Zykris likes this.
  10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I would agree with you. At this point, I would say it's worth the trade off for a great shave. My opinion might change as I use the razor more.

11. Engblom

I agree. I just said it as you are going through a sample pack. Changing razor might make it difficult to compare new blades with the blades earlier tested.

Zykris likes this.
  12. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Crud. Lol. Yeah, majorly great point.

13. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

After checking my skin, I think I'll be waiting to avoid further irritation. So for now I present to you, Milton's, TurnNShave, custom 25mm Quarter Moon brush. Lathers really well when I tested it and feels great at a 59mm loft. WP_20171006_002.jpg WP_20171006_003.jpg

14. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass head/face shave. Gear Used:
    Razor: RazoRock Slant German 37
    Blade: Gillette Super Thin Platinum
    Brush: 25mm Quarter Moon Knot Custom Brush by TurnNShave (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave )
    Soap: Maggard's Leather & Tobacco

Well, I went back to try the Ladas blade this afternoon and the blade was tugging a little too much for my liking. So random pull, out comes the Gillette Super Thin Platinum. I'm impressed by the degree of sharpness and smoothness of the blade. It felt very, very comfortable to use for my head and face. Minor irritation, love my skin, but less than what I usually get. I've got no complaints on the blade. If this holds up, it's gonna be up on my list of blades. Time to rank the other two previously used.

Current ranking:
    1. Gillette Rubie Plantinum. This blade has tied the Sputnik Teflon Coated easily in my mind. Very smooth. I could barely feel the sharpness but it mowed whiskers like a boss.
    2. Personna Lab Blue. For a lovely balance for smoothness and sharpness. What treat!
    3. Astra SP. For the sharpness and mid range smoothness, longevity of the blade.
    4. Gillette 7'Clock SP. Pretty good blade with mid range sharpness. The two before it had better performance IMO.
    5. Supermax Superior Platinum. Mid grade on smoothness and sharpness. The previous four still stand out in my mind after so long. But this one stood out enough to get into my top five.
    6. Voshkod. The blade was smooth but it didn't last long for me. Sharpness is not near Sputnik IMO.
    7. NEW Lord Platinum Class. Smooth, comfortable. Sharp enough to get the job done. Not a top five but definitely worth considering for future purchases.
    8. Ladas Super Stainless. It wasn't a favorite of mine. Certain parts of my face/head where other blades excelled overall, this one was tuggy. Low grade for me on sharpness/smoothness.
    8. Rapira Platinum Lux. Same as the Ladas blade but the smoothness on it was a tad bit better. The sharpness was pretty good but I had mixed feelings on the blade.
    9. Perma Sharp Super. Very smooth and comfortable with decent sharpness. But only good for one use.
    10. BiC Chrome. Very sharp, mid range smooth. Very irritating blade.
    11. Treet. Just did not work out for me. Not really that sharp, not really that smooth either.

15. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass head/face shave. WTG, XTG, XTG Gear Used:
    Blade: Gillette Super Thin Platinum (2nd use)
    Brush: 25mm Angel Knot (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave )
    Aftershave: Stirling's Unscented Glacial Aftershave Balm

Decided to take the Super Thin for another round today. Seems like it a little smoother since my initial use of the blade. No nicks, cuts, very mild irritation. I'm kinda liking this blade thus far. No complaints.

16. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Two Pass Face Shave. Gear Used:
    Blade: Gillette Super Thin Platinum (3nd use)
    Brush: 25mm Quarter Moon Custom handle (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave )
    Soap: Maggard's Tobacco & Leather

I'm trying to build my skin's tolerance up for shaving multiple days in a row. I just enjoy being smooth and the process of shaving. The blade is still championing on without really feeling like the quality has degraded yet. The shave was just a ATG, XTG pass. Irritation feels mild. Might be able to go day 4 shaving in a row. Here's to hoping. Stay tuned guys.

17. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Two Pass Face Shave. Gear Used:
    Blade: Gillette Super Thin Platinum (4nd use), Feather Hi-Stainless

Three pass head shave went great until it's finish phase and the blade was dulling quick. The blade had given up. So when I went for my face shave, I allowed my wife to pick out the blade. She picked, by random, the Feather blade. I've had bad run ins with this blade in the past but I decided to give it a shot on a two pass face clean up, day four of shaving my face in a row. I thought I was doomed from the beginning for bleeders, irritation maximus and all sorts of fun. But to my surprise, no blood and no more irritation than I usually have. Surprise!!

Linuxguile likes this.
  18. Engblom

As your skills develop, things you thought were not possible becomes possible. One day you will notice you are able to shave with any shaving gear. It does not mean all shaving gear are equal, as some will feel more smooth than other even after many years of experience, but still you will be able to shave with anything.

You will probably have to circle through a sample again, some time later when you have developed even more skills.

19. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. :) Must be my analytical mind that find that fun to do a do over.

20. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

8Today's event: Three pass face/head shave. Gear Used:
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless
    Soap: Stirling Soap Piacenza

Decided to do a morning pass since I have a doctor's appointment to go to anyways and needed to waste some time. One thing that I appreciate about the Feather blade is that it takes no prisoners as it mows over any whiskers. Gone. Simply gone. I still did a three pass shave as I have whiskers that tend to need one ATG, two XTG passes to get them down real good. Alum block gave me some minor stings on my head and neck, nothing surprising. I'll tell you that the menthol from the unscented glacial is giving me a whallop though. lol! The Feather though is doing good imo. Before I forgot here is where the Gillette Super Thin ranks on my list.

Current ranking:
    5. Gillette Super Thin Platinum. A rather enjoyable blade that gave me 4 good uses of smooth shaving with a nice degree of sharpness.
    6. Supermax Superior Platinum. Mid grade on smoothness and sharpness. The previous four still stand out in my mind after so long. But this one stood out enough to get into my top five.
    7. Voshkod. The blade was smooth but it didn't last long for me. Sharpness is not near Sputnik IMO.
    8. NEW Lord Platinum Class. Smooth, comfortable. Sharp enough to get the job done. Not a top five but definitely worth considering for future purchases.
    9. Ladas Super Stainless. It wasn't a favorite of mine. Certain parts of my face/head where other blades excelled overall, this one was tuggy. Low grade for me on sharpness/smoothness.
    9. Rapira Platinum Lux. Same as the Ladas blade but the smoothness on it was a tad bit better. The sharpness was pretty good but I had mixed feelings on the blade.
    10. Perma Sharp Super. Very smooth and comfortable with decent sharpness. But only good for one use.
    11. BiC Chrome. Very sharp, mid range smooth. Very irritating blade.
    12. Treet. Just did not work out for me. Not really that sharp, not really that smooth either.