SoS: October 2, 2017 - October 8, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD October 7, 2017

Prep: Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: Schick
    Razor: Personna injector
    Brush: Jayaruh #142 black badger
    Lather: Arko
    WTG, touch up

Nice shave with the Arko shave stick. I'm rotating through three shave sticks this month hoping to improve my lathering technique with them. So far, so good! Nice results today.

Have a great weekend!

SOTD 10-7-17.JPG

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

SOTD 10072017.gif
    Tabac Original Shave Soap
    B-400 - Omega Pro98 boar
    Osaka Suribachi & cool water
    Fatip Piccolo, Personna LB
    Alum, Fine Italian Citrus AS

3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

RECENT SHAVES
    20171007_154534.jpg

Prep: Occams Crushed Lime
    Razor: Gillette Redtip
    Blade: Rapira Stainless
    Brush: Maggard 30mm synthetic
    Soap: Fine L'Orange Noir

The Maggard Brush combined with the Fine soap made a great lather, plus that incredible scent. However, this was a bit of a rough shave. Blade was pulling and went directly into the blade bank immediately after use. Finished up with matching A/S and threw on some Stirling Arkadia balm later on for a little extra post shave.

20171007_154442.jpg

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
    Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
    Blade: Bic (1st shave)
    Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
    Soap: Wild West Shaving Co. Anine Oakley

The scent of Anne Oakley is a bright floral with violet notes with an almost boosy scent base. Performance of Wild West soaps is quite good, although I have found I do not need as much water to make the right consistancy of lather as other soaps. Residual slickness and post shave are excellent. Did get a couple weepers and it seemed this razor/ blade combo did not work well together. Finished off with just a splash of Peach Thayer's witch hazel with some menthol crystals.

20171007_160755.jpg

Prep: pre shave soap mix
    Razor: Gillette Fat Handle Tech
    Blade: Bic (2nd shave)
    Soap: Ballenclaugh Festive Parlor

Very refreshing 3 pass shave this afternoon. Super stoked to see Ballenclaugh is making a comeback, their soaps are just incredible and wish them success in their travels. Festive Parlor is leather, citrus, and clove. As with all Ballenclaugh scents it is unlike anything else and is defently unique. I get leather with a citrus almost industrial scent (not in a bad way) and is a great scent for this time of year. Performance is the same as all B&C soaps, super thick slick lather and all the good things one looks for in a shaving soap. Had a wonderful shave and finished off with Proraso Woods and Spice balm which is another scent perfect for fall weather. Hope everyone is doing well and getting great shaves!

sdguero, Bobcat, Primotenore and 18 others like this.
  4. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Play It Again Sam has a nice fresh clean scent. Plus the Bogart theme is really cool. Glad to hear you enjoy this one as well.

sdguero and clint64 like this.
  5. Richardjl41

Richardjl41 Well-Known Member

October 7th
    IMG_0057.JPG

sdguero, SpeedyPC, Bobcat and 18 others like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod171008.JPG
    Sunday's SE Shave
    zcws.gif

Proraso Pre Shave
    Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Jayaruh #224
    Gem 1911 Lather Catcher
    Original Gem Cutlery SE
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Pinaud Clubman

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Mitchell's Wool Fat face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #224 synthetic brush. I did the two passes with the Gem 1911 Lather Catcher and vintage Gem Jr. blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Pinaud Clubman AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    sdguero, Bobcat, Primotenore and 16 others like this.
  7. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Very interesting razor. Looks beautiful. I don’t think I ever saw one before.
    Steve

8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:thanks:Steve..They Come Up on EBay Quite Regular..They Can Fetch a Bob or Two..Especially a Complete Set with Good Blades..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

9. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Fragrance - Diptyque Tam Dao EDP
    Aftershave - Klar Seifen "Sandelholz"
    Shave Soap - Klar Seifen "Sandelholz"
    Deodorant - Love Myself Organics "Sandalwood" Blend
    Pre-shave Oil - Lather & Wood "Unscented"
    Post-Shave Balm - Nicci Marie Anti-Aging Hyaluronic Acid Face Serum
    Razor - Merkur Futur
    Blade - BiC Chrome-Platinum
    Razor Stand by RV Shaving
    Brush - Custom made by Mervyn Cadman with Synthetic Tuxedo Knot
    Brush Stand by Desire Metal Works
    Soap Bowl - Custom made by Mervyn Cadman

Unboxing the new custom stuff for this one:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think this looks like a shave set the belongs in the bathroom of some rich executive. What a beautiful set he made.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  10. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Sunday Planned SOTD

[​IMG]

Razor: Timeless Razor OC
    Blade: Super Iridium (D6)
    Brush Korn D7-XLT Romera Manchurian 26mm
    Bowl: TDG Style 5" Maple\Walnut band
    Pre-Shave Scrub: Lisa's Sunny Citrus
    Pre-Shave Oil: Lemon Lime Chill
    Shave Soap: Grooming Dept Credence
    Aftershave: Hawaiian Shaving Co. Lemon Lavender

11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with one of my favored brands of razor, by Union Cutlery, "The Spike". I had a flawless 2 pass shave, that left me near BBS. Zero issues.

Razor- "The Spike", by Union Cutlery. True Wedge.
    Brush- Stirling Boar
    Soap- Arko/Avon Spicy
    Aftershave- Osage Rub

PA071234.JPG

12. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

OCtober 7, 2017
    Jamie's Open Comb Night shave with a PEARL 3 piece.. Nice solid Razor! Aggressive..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
    Razor: Guerrilla
    Blade: Voskhod (1)
    Brush: Morris & Forndran Tigris
    Lather: Mike's Hungarian Lavender
    Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

OCtober!!!

October 7

[​IMG]

Let's have some FUN!!!!!!

Razor - Edwin Jagger DE89l
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - FatBac
    Brush - BoS Omega 10066
    Post - Alum

Time for some fun. I've been too serious for way too long. Because of a discussion on another thread I floated the idea of the ultimate blade being half Voskhod, half Feather. Several people seemed to like that idea so, being myself, I decided to play with the idea last night. I split a new Voskhod and a new Feather in half and matched them up. Yes, I created the first VoskFeather. Or......FeatherKhod if you prefer. Or, as the picture indicates, a "Voskhod Hi-Stainless" blade.

[​IMG]

Now......it's just two halves sitting next to each other and I have no idea how to weld the halves together, nor would I try, but......could it somehow be used in a razor as one blade? Inquiring minds want to know. Could it somehow be taped together? Not really. Tried a couple of ideas and it just caused my wife to start cussing at me for almost slicing a couple of fingers. (Waited until she went to bed then continued)

Finally, the idea hit me.....find a head on a razor that would seem to hold each half securely. The DE89L did nicely. The blades were aligned on the posts and the baseplate dropped on carefully to avoid twisting them out of place. Then carefully tighten up the handle and.......you have this.

[​IMG]

The DE89L also allows me to see which half is on which side and offers proof that both halves are indeed there. So, how would this affect the shave? Well I can tell you the angles and gaps are a bit off from each other. And my main fear - that the head would allow the blade halves to twist under use causing a loose blade scenario which is normally followed by blood and scars. But......who am I to stop now.

So, let's line up the shave for the night. The VoskFeather in the DE89L. A frankenblade deserves a frankensoap so.....FatBac. And a classic boar brush since I don't have a frankenbrush. FatBac produces a fantastic lather so I was well on my way to a great shave. So let's decide on protocol. Voskhod on the right side of my face, Feather on the left. Two passes as usual with touch up as usual. Unless it all came apart. My first impression of the Voskhod was......had to adjust angle a bit from a normal DE89 shave but I found it and then only had to deal with a slight amount of chatter from the blade. Nothing major. The Feather? Smooth as well except for a bit of chatter and a stroke to find the angle. Two passes, touch up including some Gillette Slides for good measure and........the baby is in the house, no blood, and the alum was incredibly quiet.

Ladies, gentlemen, boys and girls, I call that a successful first ever shave with the VoskFeather blade. The perfect marriage of Russian and Japanese steel!

[​IMG]

15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nicely done Neal. Let's call it the Détente Blade

clint64 and NCoxSTL like this.
  16. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

That CAD set is really nice color matching. Love that one.

Smooth Steve and clint64 like this.
  17. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, good morning. Today's SOTD is as follows.

G Type Schick Injector.
    Ted Pelli blade.
    Old Spice Musk shave cream.
    Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve as.
    Nivea post shave balm (unused)
    Safari For Men cologne.

[​IMG]

I would like to give Honorable Mention to Jim @Jayuruh for his flawless restoration of this old classic. He did an amazing job on this Injector. Thanks Jim!

I don't know why I was called to use this razor tonight, as the OC I was going to use was in a different cabinet, but I'm really glad I took this one out to shave with. What a fantastic shave. I could have called it quits at one pass with DFS, but I decided to chase the BBS, and I succeeded! I have not shaven in three or four days either. I'm pretty impressed with this old razor. I am getting more and more used to it as time goes on. What a great feeling my face has. I'm amazed. Thanks for your interest. Have a great day all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdguero, alfredus, SpeedyPC and 18 others like this.
  18. mathiashellsing

mathiashellsing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

#shaveoftheday - Oct 8, 2017
    Pre: Hot water
    Brush: Maggards Synthetic 24mm
    Soap: Barrister & Mann - Leviathan
    Razor: Merkur 34c / Rapira

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro

sdguero, alfredus, SpeedyPC and 15 others like this.
  19. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Everyone SOTD 10/08/17

'62 Gillette Slim (set on 5)
    Wilkinson Sword (4)
    VDH Boar
    Col. Conk Bay Rum
    Cold Water Rinse, Witch Hazel
    Stephan Bay Rum A/S

A Simply Smooth Shave This Sunday Morning!

Have A Great Day DSCF1769.JPG

sdguero, alfredus, SpeedyPC and 13 others like this.
  20. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

You are more brave than me! Great write up!

sdguero, RyX, NCoxSTL and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.