Has the craze leveled out finally?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Oct 13, 2017.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Not sure myself. I like adjustable razors but the Fatboy is no where near my favorite. Never tried a Slim.
    I may be mistaken, but I think the Fatboy was Gillettes first adjustable razor, providing it a uniqueness later razors lack. That would also make it older, if you're chasing vintage. Just a thought.

sdguero, FaceScraper and RyX like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Nah. The toggle was Gillette's first adjustable.

sdguero, FaceScraper and RyX like this.
  3. DesertTime

ahh. I wasn't sure. thanks..I figured if anyone knew, you would.

FaceScraper likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Interesting idea! @jmudrick - I see you do lots of shimming of non-Gillette DEs. Would a shim sufficiently alter a Krona's geometry to increase aggression? I've never shimmed so I have no idea how to begin this experiment.

I have two Krona, time to bust em out and try a Feather Hi-Stainless. The flat cap on these Schick/Eversharp DE seem to have an automatic angle of attack. They give such a mild shave it takes me 4+ passes to accomplish what I can get from others in 3.

Finding out the Toggle Experiment ended in a redesign and production of #195's made me desire a Toggle less.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Fatboy was cheaper to produce, and less complicated, design-wise. I'm not sure I would call the Fatboy a step forward though. The blade angle remains constant through adjustment on the toggle. It changes on the Fatboy. I suppose I ought to mention the (actually rare) red dot Fatboy as well. It used the same adjustment mechanism as the toggle too, but was more expensive to produce and was quickly scrapped in favor of the Fatboy.

The nickel finish toggle sold for $1.95 too, so using 195 to refer to the Fatboy in this context can be confusing. Would have been nice if Gillette had given them all names beyond "Adjustable."

6. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Methinks that you cannot shim a TTO razor. I would pop a Feather in it if I were you. IIRC I need to use them or Perma-Sharps in a Tech to get a good shave with that razor.

RyX and FaceScraper like this.
  7. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have noticed trends in what is popular. When I started a few years ago the Fatboy was all the rage. Everyone seemed to be searching for one — particularly their birth year / quarter. I never did understand that myself. I picked up a fatboy in an antique store for $3 and I can say it is a nice razor but I much prefer a Slim any day. Now the Toggle is all the rage commanding ridiculous prices. I think it is the “gotta have it syndrome”. I don’t imagine they shave better than a Fatboy....and likely not better than a Slim. This fad will pass and a new razor will step into the spotlight as the new razor to be desired. There are more start up DE razors on the market and it is nice to see entrepreneurs stepping up to fill a niche market. Personally I prefer vintage razors and I generally like to pay in the $20 range.
    Has all the craze leveled out? I think it is leveling out. It will be interesting to see what comes next.

jtspartan, Keithmax, sdguero and 4 others like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Is that ALL Camaros? Cause in my mind, some:

[​IMG]

were built better than others:

[​IMG]

brit, jtspartan, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  9. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

87b59a4c1fdc4a8603284cca0d2119ef.jpg

An Iroc is nothing without a mullet and hair band music! :D

brit, jtspartan, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  10. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I thought you said this forum was family friendly!?! That top one is dirrrrrty.

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Seriously, stop with the rarity issue. It's a common razor. A Bakelite Progress is rare. A version 1 Apollo is rare. A Shake Sharp 1.5. A Fatboys are not rare, full stop. It's people saying they are rare that drives prices.

12. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I think it started with the idea of their Fatboy as some kind of Uberrazor and then a rarity myth followed. In terms of actual rarity, you probably want to look at variants like the Serial Toggle, Bottom Dial Fatboy (or Red Dot), or late Black Beauties.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jmudrick, FaceScraper and sdguero like this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

...Yet only produced for four years...over 50 years ago. Gillette may have flooded the market with them in that brief period but they havent made them in over five decades. Finding one in very good condition isnt impossible as they do turn up occasionally. I do find the design/aesthetic very nice. The 195's 'Fatboy' nickname adds to the charm (allure?).

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Right, they turn up occasionally. eBay right now: 200+ listings for Fatboys/Fat Boys at $50+ (take out the mislabeled and you still have 150 or more). I think if you look real hard you can find a very good one. Buy the way, this compares to 19 Red Tip listings. I don't care how many years they were made for, anybody who wants a Fatboy in VG condition can get one now. That's the definition of a common razor.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    FaceScraper and Shaver X like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

That is ONE definition of common, I suppose, but comparatively speaking, a mass-produced razor such as the Gillette Mach 3 (over 2000 ebay listings) or more recent models certainly dwarf the availability numbers of the 195.

FaceScraper likes this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Rarity ... try looking for a Mono Bloc or a Mono Tech. Funny thing is Goodwills were made for the same period of time and its far easier to find a Fat Boy.

jmudrick and FaceScraper like this.
  17. DesertTime

I have to agree. While the Fatboy isn't my favorite razor, it is beautiful. A very well engineered and executed blend of form a function. Of all my adjustables, I think it's the best looking.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    RyX and FaceScraper like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

When we going to see those new-old Techs that were supposed to be reproduced a year or two ago?

BigMark83, Keithmax and FaceScraper like this.
  19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Price is driven by supply and demand. If you have 100 people chasing 50 fatboys, the price will be driven up. Likewise, if you have 100 fatboys and only 50 people chasing them, the price will go low.

Here's something to consider... if prices for vintage razors have declined across all makes, then some group is no longer buying or we dont have as many new buyers entering the market. Hobby in decline?

RyX, FaceScraper and gorgo2 like this.
  20. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Back in the early days of this hobby, right around when various shaving forums were starting, there was an article written by Leisureguy that was widely read. He greatly hyped the Fatboy as the end-all, be-all razor. Or that's how I remember it anyway. I think that article and the momentum that built around it are a big part of where the Fatboy fandom comes from.

EDIT: ...and my memory's wrong. I think I found the original article, and also found many posts from Leisureguy (on TSD, no less) where he's pretty critical of the shave from a Fatboy. Those threads do provide some insight to why people like the Fatboy so much. Seems like a lot of the responses focus on appearance. I suspect it also has to do with the birth year for many collectors.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    RyX, Keithmax, FaceScraper and 2 others like this.