Question: Is Nivea's Men Cream OK as an aftershave?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Ahekog, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Ahekog

Ahekog New Member

Ever since i started shaving(recently) I've been using Nivea Men Cream for face,hands and body-so i was wondering if it was a serviceable option.I didn't have any problems but i am asking as i am new at shaving.
    This is not Nivea's aftershave product,just their regular cream for men.

Enrico and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

You can use anything you want as an aftershave. You don't even have to use any sort of aftershave at all if you don't want to use anything. I usually put on some sort of cream after applying witch hazel or an alcohol based splash in the event that I don't follow up with a balm. I think that witch hazel or a proper splash is useful as a disinfectant and as an astringent but it's entirely up to you whether or not you want to skip that step and just go straight for a cream.

3. Ahekog

Ahekog New Member

Thanks for the reply :) I appreciate it.

Demidog likes this.
  4. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Ditto the above. Whatever makes your face feel good when you're done with your razor is an aftershave, even if you decide to just use air lol. Happy shaving!

Demidog likes this.
  5. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Just like the title of @swarden43 says , “ "It's your shave, Enjoy it your way."©. ”

6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yes.

I use body milk too.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I always use a very small dab of Nivea cream with a splash of witch hazel. I’ll usually follow with an aftershave.
    The witch hazel dilutes the cream and distributes a very thin layer. That combination has kept my skin from drying out. Part of my routine for a couple years now.

brit, MR41, Allen_B and 1 other person like this.
  8. Peders

Peders Member

Have been using the Nivea cream as well lately with good results. Very cheap and lasts a good while.
    I use a alcohol based aftershave first and follow up with Nivea.

HKShaving likes this.
  9. HKShaving

HKShaving Member

Ditto, alcohol-based aftershave first and then Nivea after. I use the combo often.

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I use Sterlings shaving balm, but found it too thick so cut it with Dickinson witch hazel and it works fine. I'm not sold on any particular brand, and I've used Simpson shaving balm as well. When I run out of what I have, I'll try some Nivea or AV balm.

I figure it this way ... If your face is happy with it stick to it.

11. HKShaving

HKShaving Member

I guess if it soothes your skin, there's no need to change up.

I find Nivea cream very thick, but it blends in easily on moist skin. A little goes a long way too

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I think my dad used Nivea cream (in the blue tin) for ages. Never did him any harm. But then, he also used Fresh-Up ... horrible stuff! :D

[​IMG]

HKShaving likes this.
  13. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Tbey have a Nivea cream aimed specifically at men, I have no idea if it's comparable to the original product. I prefer an AS splash but anything can be used from basic emollient creams such as SLS free aqueous cream to Savlon. I used Savlon for razor burn. I did have success with Sudocrem previously. However, the last time I used it was not a sucess. It burned like hell.

14. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Prep cream was promoted in The Netherlands for shaving. Pre and post. In the U.S. I am sure it was promoted for sun burn and insect bites.

15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

In a word Yep!

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

No, different scent and somewhat different ingredients list. I mainly use it in winter. The original Nivea cream is good as well (but contains lanolin which some may not like).

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

17. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I prefer an aftershave balm or aftershave, but each his own! If it doesn't stay to sticky, or doesn't irritate , go ahead!

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Nivea has been my moisturising choice for years, if it suits you, use it.

19. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

Nivea men cream is suitable for aftershave. A little thin but ok. It can be absorbed by skin easily. If it does matter, Nivea men cream contains paraben, I have to say.
    I use some other face creams like Bepanthol Face Cream and i think it is very succesful product for aftershave. I do not know if it is at the markets in USA.
    There are a lot of day face creams, most of them could be used after the shaves, i think.

20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team