Are Synthetics Really Best?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Steve C, Jul 23, 2017.

1. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

i tried badger, boar, and synthetic.

probably about 15 total different brushes over the years.
    i ended up selling/returning all but two silvertip brushes.

and from those two..i only really use one. the other is up for sale.

silvertip badger is awesome

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  2. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

Hello,
    That's interesting. Could I ask about the two brushes you kept and which brush is your go to? My silver tip is on the way and I can't wait to give it a try.

Zykris likes this.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yes, it is hard to beat synthetics for travel.

For at home, I echo your boar sentiments. Hard to beat an Omega #49 or #98.

4. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

Douglas Carey and Marc Bagwell like this.
  5. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

Wow!

I received my Parker silver tip today and put it to good use. It's my first badge brush. I couldn't believe how luxurious it was compared to my synthetics. I still like synthetics but the badger was very nice. I can now see why so many of you love your silver tips so much. In the next few days I'll be taking my first boar brush for a spin. I'll let you know my thoughts after I've used it. Until then, I'm going to be putting my silver tip through its paces.

6. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I admit to being constantly mystified by this question... in terms of lather retention and flow, the three synthetics I’ve purchased in the last few years are rather like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes... Even cheap badgers and boars completely dominate in performance. To each his own, I guess...
    :duel:

Bobcat, jaxstraww, Col C and 2 others like this.
  7. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I've tried several times to get on the synth bandwagon and I just don't love them. I also have to say I haven't seen two of the big benefits that people often mention: using less soap and building the lather faster. My synths, boar, and badgers all seem about the same in those ways. The one place where the synths are different, besides the way they feel, is in drying time. They dry a lot faster than badgers and boars. Yugo might not be fair, though. Synths do work.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    jeraldgordon and clint64 like this.
  8. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I have used both boar and badger (neither were high end) and then someone suggested a synthetic (Razorock). I love them and they don't cost a fortune. I'm on my second one (left the other one on vacation). I'm no expert but I give them a thumbs up.

RyX, BamaT, clint64 and 1 other person like this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

My experience has been totally opposite. I've read that the later generation synthetics are much improved over the earlier ones. My H.I.S. synthetic is a lathering machine and very luxurious; boars aren't even in the same ball park. I've never tried a silver tip, but honestly my H.I.S. is so good, I have no desire to spend the money to try one.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  10. jeraldgordon

Just to clarify - synthetics seem to be just fine for bowl lathering, and then just using as a paint brush. But if you are trying to build the lather on your face, which is my preferred method, I find poor lather capacity in the brush and everything just seems to “run through”. If your experience is different, I envy you! I really wanted to like the latest generation of synthetics, but just found their performance to be more of a wish than a reality...

RyX, Puma and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I face lather exclusively, and always with synthetics. Leave a $150 super badger on the shelf because it can't hang with my $30 synthetic.

RyX, BamaT, Nate.H01 and 2 others like this.
  12. jeraldgordon

Well, there you go! To each his own. You enjoy your synthetic, and I will remain mystified!

13. Bama Samurai

I use a lot of shave sticks though... That is probably worth a mention.

RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Exactly! I think good lather can be had a few ways. The brush, in the grand scheme, isn't that important with regard to shave outcome.

15. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

This gets overlooked sometimes. They all work.

RyX, Bama Samurai and Douglas Carey like this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I face lather exclusively, and my synthetic excels at it, producing as much lather as I could possibly want. It is a reality.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yes, one area where my synthetics excel is in the amount of lather they produce. With my synthetic brushes, I have to load considerably less soap than with the natural hair ones.

BamaT likes this.
  18. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Love my new RazoRock Beehive .. cant imagine a better performing brush for the $14.99 i paid new for it.

BamaT, Douglas Carey and Bama Samurai like this.
  19. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I really like my synthetics. They work great for me.

BamaT and Douglas Carey like this.
  20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Hi @Spud how are things out east?