Help identify this Gillette

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rusty blade, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I purchased this Gillette some time ago in an antique store and I can't seem to identify it. Can someone assist please. Here are some pics...

Attached Files:

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Goodwill.

Rusty blade likes this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

It’s a goodwill

Rusty blade likes this.
  4. Rusty blade

Thanks very much. Goodwill...that's it...1931 to 1935.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Jorvaljr like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I win!

Rusty blade and Jorvaljr like this.
  6. Rusty blade

RyX and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. Rusty blade

RyX, Jorvaljr and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

An interesting variation, though. I think I saw that it was Canadian. It looks like it's based on the New LC but has the studs which go through the cap (rather than indentations on the underside of the cap). I though that Gillette Canada only did that with the OT-based Goodwill razors.
    According to the B&B Wiki, it's a Reverse-Stud #175.

9. Rusty blade

Now that is interesting. I looked on Mr Razor and saw that it was similar to a Goodwill but I noticed the variation as well. Thanks for the info.

sdguero and Jorvaljr like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Goodwill. They are all right. It's a good one, too. I'd love to have one like it.

11. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

It sure is a good looking razor...looks substantial and hefty?

Rusty blade likes this.
  12. Rusty blade

Yes. It has good heft. And I like a heavy razor. Feels substantial in my hand. I will try this one out in a week or two. There are a couple of razors ahead of it in my rotation. I generally don’t use an open comb DE. This will be a first.

RyX and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  13. Ijustmissedthe50s

Older thread, same question lol. I think this a "New"? 1930's? It has the patent reissue info I think Ive seen on News in posts, but I can never match handle and other characteristics on the huge variety of Gillettes. My biggest question is whether or not the head is correct to the handle? Its the heaviest razor I have and I love the heft. My SE's are OC's, so this Gillette gives me the solid feel from the weight of the razor like the stiff blade of the SE's do, if that makes any sense. Thanks in advance for any info, gang! 346x0f4[8].jpg IMG_20171229_182432.jpg n

jimjo1031 likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

That is one of the handles used. A slimmer version of that handle and a ball end handle also we're used.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  15. Ijustmissedthe50s

Thanks.. the variety of Gillette parts always confuses my old brain. Now I understand why so many of us love this razor. The combination of DE convenience with the OC is super, and thiss thing drives itself. My first experience with one. 346x0f4.jpg

16. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

One of the few positive things to come out of the depression. A really nice razor.....

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.