SoS: Oct 30 - Nov 5, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Hilarious karl! :happy097:

Karl G, RyX, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  2. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Sunday 5th November

[​IMG]

Birch Tar Soap
    RSC Facial Scrub
    Vitos Preshave Cream
    Karo Classic Shaving Cream
    Little Wren Pottery Bowl
    Semogue SOC 2 band Badger in Cherry Wood
    Dovo Inox 5/8 razor in Olive Wood
    Alum Block with Rinse
    Homemade Buttermix
    Benjamins Bay Rum with Pimento
    Molecule 01 Super ISO E

I needed a good relaxing shave after last night. We returned home late after the Festival of Remembrance to discover my 'wee sweetheart' (a Jack Russell/Poodle cross) was missing. Eventually we found the note stuck in the letterbox. She had been found in a state of distress a mile from Home. She had managed to escape from the 'secure area' at the back of the house. No organised fireworks....but apparently some one had let off a few big ones. I have decided that fireworks are evil things and there will be no more trips out around the time of Bonfire Night:(

Fantastic 3 pass BBS Sunday Shave....and Seren is cwtched (cuddled) up beside me. She won't let me out of her sight.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Dansco, mrchick, alfredus and 18 others like this.
  3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

RECENT SHAVES
    20171104_143944.jpg

Prep: pre shave soap mix
    Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic

Blade: Gillette Platinum
    Brush: Maggard 24mm synthetic
    Soap: Deluxe Shaving Rockers

Not a bad shave from Deluxe Shaving. The scent of Rockers is a leathery raspberry scent that is a pretty strange unique mix. Reminds me a bit of L&L Cuir Et Espices, or Van Yulay Grand Lodge. Not exact match for either but they would be the closest thing I could compair the scent with. Performance is not bad, still not sure if I prefer the cream or the soap. Both seem like solid performers, their cream is more of a croap consistancy and can be loaded directly. Got a smooth shave and finished off with Emulsion and Versace cologne.

20171104_143830.jpg

Prep: Occams Crushed Lime
    Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
    Blade: Derby (1st shave)
    Brush: Maggard 24mm synthetic
    Soap: Captains Choice North
    Post shave: CC North balm

This shave was remarkably well for using a Derby blade. These usually do not agree with my skin, but this shave went off without any issues and was smooth ad could be. The CC North soap makes a nice lather and haS a juniper scent. Finished off with matching balm.

20171105_160449.jpg

Prep: pre shave soap mix
    Razor: Gillette Black Beauty
    Blade: Croma (1st shave)
    Soap: Gustafsons Stubble Management

Managed a perect shave this evening. The Gustafsons soap made by Square One Soapworks is one of my favorite hidden gems. It makes a lather similar to Perfectly Natural soaps, which is another underrated soap. The lather consistancy is more like a cream, no bubbles and is soothing on the skin. Lather held so much water it was falling off the razor, just an amazing product. Very happy with the results from today's shave and I hope you also had a similar experience!

Dansco, mrchick, alfredus and 16 others like this.
  4. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Awesome pic and setup! Lather Bros is oNE artisan that is on my wish list ( along with Storybook Soapworks). Sounds like they are decnt products. Have you tried their balms yet? Seems to be several positive reviews about them.

5. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

While I prefer splashes, Lather Bros.' balms are good performers. In line with Soap Commander balms.

mrchick and clint64 like this.
  6. Shave Monkey

Shave Monkey Well-Known Member

Many thanks!

clint64 likes this.
  7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you!

Robyflexx and clint64 like this.
  8. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

My black lab agrees with your sweetheart. Fireworks are evil. We understand your frustration with them. Glad she's home safe! :chores016:

Dan

madmedic, mrchick, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

SOTD - 5 November 2017 [​IMG]

Have a great evening!

Dansco, ilts, SpeedyPC and 16 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with a newly acquired, restored(somewhat), and honed razor- I had a nice 2 pass shave, that left me near BBS. Zero issues.

Razor- A.Halverson Co. "Star 46". Oklahoma City & Muskogee. Made in Germany
    Brush- Stirling Boar
    Soap- Arko/Avon Spicy
    Aftershave- Florida Water

PB051303.JPG

Dansco, ilts, mrchick and 17 others like this.
  11. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

IMG_1931.JPG

This morning’s shave. My 3rd shave with the Rockwell. Trying different plate each time to see which I like best. Went with Plate 5 today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dansco, ilts, mrchick and 18 others like this.
  12. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Razor - Edwin Jagger "Kelvin"
    Blade - Astra Superior Platinum
    Shave Brush - Da Vinci Uomo "Synique"
    Razor/Brush Stand by Royal Shave
    Soap - Ginger's Garden "Aventus" Vegan Formula
    Aftershave - Fine "Platinum"
    Deodorant - Lucky Girl Boutique's Pure Body Delights "Monarch"
    Fragrance - Creed "Aventus"

Monday's shave.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Dansco, ilts, mrchick and 17 others like this.
  13. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

SOTD 11/5/2017 SUNDAY
    RAZOR: Drug Mart CALIBER 5 Pivot Razor (disposable) - Personna/Schick Wilkinson Sword
    BLADE: FIVE (*compare to Gillette Fusion 5 Blade razor)
    BRUSH: NO - applied by hand
    PREP: hot water shower with Zest soap, hot water rinse
    PRE SHAVE: None
    SHAVE CREAM: Gillette Fusion Proglide Sensitive - Ocean Breeze - recovered into a container from last shave dispense malf.
    POST SHAVE: Hot water rinse
    AFTER SHAVE: Aqua Velva Ice Blue
    BALM: NONE
    Caliber5_Gillette_Fusion.jpg
    Got a 2-pass BBS with minor touchups under the chin.
    Continued with my practice of applying intentional pressure to feel the blades on my skin. Even got 2 minor weepers with this extremely mild razor.

Last time, the Gillette dispenser had a major fail - by releasing the gel under the nozzel. Luckily, it was Saturday, and I had time to recoup the lather.
    It had expanded into a thin foam in the container, but upon scooping it out and rubbing it into my face, it produced a slick, protective lather.
    Interesting note: this cream put this razor back on the track of super lubricating my face with wet kiss like spittle.
    This shave cream has a subtle melon scent to me, and a great menthol feel.

Followed the shave with Aqua Velva Musk. Great shave.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Dansco, clint64, ilts and 12 others like this.
  14. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

That’s my standard procedure but the hotel misplaced the letter I sent with my blade and didn’t deliver it until I was checking out. I’ve actually had to use a backup blade that I’d previously hidden in a hotel when a letter came late on a trip. :happy088:

clint64, mrchick, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

NOVember!!!

November 5 - Ok,we'll call it a Qshave Focus now

Razor - Qshave Futur Clone
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Pre-Shave - Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    Soap - FatBac
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum

When I took my shower this morning I discovered how poor last night's shave was compared to normal for me. I knew I missed the baby last night but didn't think it was all that bad. From the feeling in the shower when I washed my face I wondered how I had rated it a DFS. We'll have to revise it to a barely DFS last night. And with the Qshave on 4 - unacceptable. So, the goal tonight became to get a big improvement at the 4 setting. The question in my mind - is it the razor or my lack of technique with the razor that is the issue? I'm pretty sure we all know the answer to that in this thread.

I upped my chances by using the Stirling pre-shave soap and I grabbed the FatBac. Yes, the big gun came out. Equal parts Mitchell's Wool Fat and Tabac and it produces the slickest lather I think I have ever had. The scent is also quite unique and very very nice. SWMBO totally approves as well. I used the Wolf Whiskers Silvertip and came up with the exact lather I was looking for. Two passes, about a half additional pass for touch up and I'm blood free, alum is quiet and the baby is sleeping soundly. THAT'S the shave I was looking for last night and I found it tonight. Now I feel justified in taking it up to 5 tomorrow night and continuing the focus on this razor.

I'm beginning to be a bit of a believer in this razor, at least as far as its ability to deliver great shaves. I'm such a vintage groupie that using this quite unique and interesting modern razor is a bit disconcerting. However, it is a very cool item and it is beginning to feel totally at home in my hand. As always, technique trumps tools and I plan to stick with this one through the month now to get that technique perfected. As for my earlier plans for NOVember - well, both missing items arrive tomorrow but they'll have to sit on the shelf until a later time. The Qshave has my full attention at this point.

[​IMG]

Dansco, PLAla, clint64 and 11 others like this.
  16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Time to move to the new thread

PLAla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.