Parker 87R.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morman Bridge, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi folks,
    Today I want to share my experience with the Parker 87R.
    I have had this razor for over a year, actually almost two years, and until recently only shaved with it twice. Now it has 4 shaves on it. It's a little too soon to be able to give a full review on the razor, since there are only four shaves on it, but I wanted to give anyone who is interested in this model of razor a quick heads up on how good it is.
    To begin I would like to share that I received this razor as a replacement for the first razor that the vendor sent me, since the first one arrived damaged. The vendor agreed to send a new one fairly quickly and in a matter of a few days I had a new one. The head was askew on the first one, as well as the silo doors were out of adjustment. I am certain it was a QC issue. Although a shipping incident could have been responsible instead. No matter. They sent a new one ASAP. (To the vendors credit!). The second one I received seemed to be out of whack a bit too, but I made a couple of minor adjustments to the transfer bar and doors and it worked fine.
    So today was my second recent shave with this razor. Both shaves were done with Trumpers GFT, and a Personna Platinum Chrome blade.
    What I discovered is this razor seems to need a shallow angle to get the best cutting angle. Once you hit the sweet spot, the razor proves to be very efficient. I also noticed it had 0 audible and or tactile feedback. It is a very quiet razor. It is one of those razors that you don't feel nor hear it cutting whiskers, and it almost seems like it must not be cutting, until you run your hand over your face a the end of the pass.
    I have found this to be a two pass razor. Very efficient. It is also nice looking. Pleasant to look at. It reminds me of my #66 Aristocrat.

[​IMG]

All in all, it is a good razor at a good price point.
    Enjoy your journey, and have a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Great write up. I originally was going to get one but I was able to score a 66 Aristocrat

3. Morman Bridge

Thanks Jorge, when I first got it I did not like it much. I was a little sour that I had to adjust it a bit. But my most recent shaves with it were very positive.

Jim99 likes this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Nice write up. I’ve considered purchasing a Parker in the past, but never got around to it as I was after vintage razors. After reading your review, I might have to add a Parker to my wish list again.

5. Morman Bridge

Thanks Jim, mine shaved really well for me. I'm pretty impressed with it.

Jim99 likes this.
  6. Macktheknife

Macktheknife Active Member

I wonder how well it will hold up over time? Looks good.

7. Sammy1

Sammy1 Active Member

I've got one, use it off and on, still looks new after 1-1/2 years.

8. Macktheknife

Sammy1, thanks. Can you share with us your impressions, compare it to a vintage razor, or other TTO?

Best,

Macktheknife

9. Sammy1

Sammy1 Active Member

I have an Aristocrat that is very close to this razor. The 87r is very close in weight and smooth shave to Aristocrat.
    It is as good as any of my Gillette adjustable, supersedes, tech's, & Schick koronas I use. I think it worth the $28 on Amazon if u want something close to an aristocrat if u can't find one in that price range.

Cearball likes this.
  10. Macktheknife

That is good to know. Thank you!

Cearball likes this.