How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The Krups finally died. We suspected problems Sunday morning when we found water around the base. Confirmed Monday morning with water again around the base. We got our money's worth, but it's outta here.

Did some research and Monday afternoon ordered a Bonavita BV1900TS drip. No bells or whistles, but it does have a metal carafe that I like; it prevents burnt coffee. Did a google for best coffee makes and it ranked first or second on most lists. And, hey, if Sweet Maria's carries it... ;). I wasn't about to pay their asking price, though. Much cheaper with Amazon Prime.
    Came in this afternoon.

Yesterday and this morning, waiting for the new coffee maker to arrive, it was pour over.
    Tomorrow... I'll let you know.

2. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

Sounds good. How long did the Krups last?

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Looks like a nice one.

4. swarden43

Six, seven years? Maybe a bit longer? I'm lousy with dates.

Made a very good pot of coffee this morning. Can't wait to brew up some Dirigo Blue Kenya.

It has an infusion option I need to try. Apparently it will shower short bursts of water on the grounds, allowing them to soak a bit before getting hit with a full stream of hot water. We'll see.

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  5. Marc Bagwell

Mmmmmm that is interesting. Let me know how that works out. By theory that should bring out more flavor.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  6. Marc Bagwell

I've been using a Bunn pour over for the last thirty five years. Always had great luck with them. Back when I ran my company all we used were commercial Bunns. We put a lot of strain on our coffee makers and Bunn was the only brand that continually held up for us. I was so impressed with Bunn that I started using a home Unit and have been very happy with it. I think it's about ten years old now. I'll get a new unit one of these days, if the one I have ever breaks down. You know me, any port in the storm if it makes a great cup of coffee.

Douglas Carey, Enrico and swarden43 like this.
  7. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Keurig (no sugar, no cream).

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  8. Marc Bagwell

I'm with you, coffee was meant to be enjoyed without dairy or sugar. Nothing taste as good as a cup of hot steaming black coffee.

9. swarden43

Tried it this morning. Not bad. But then again, my tastebuds aren't as sensitive to the subtle nuances of coffee as some folks. I like what I like, and I liked this morning's cup.

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  10. Marc Bagwell

I know what you mean...I'm no gourmet coffee drinker either. I dont really like funky flavors or double mocha skim free, flavor free drinks passed off as coffee. I know some people like that stuff but I don't. I like a good brewed cup of black coffee with just the right amount of bite.

swarden43 likes this.
  11. Marc Bagwell

I find myself liking the simple things in life. A great cup of java in the mornings, an awesome hot water shave with an sharp Astra green blade. I find those things tend to give me a positive outlook on my day. I'm a simple person. Anything else is just an added bonus.

swarden43 likes this.
  12. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

It was the Melitta cone this morning. Speaking of coffee maker longevity, my Braun KF12 4-cup is going strong at 12 years. I bought the last one that was in the States back in June of '05 (you can still find one every once in a while on the 'bay, but usually 2 to 3 times the 30 bucks I paid).

All this coffee talk...reckon it's time for another cup.

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  13. Marc Bagwell

A great coffee maker is always in demand. What most people don't know about modern coffee makers is that they are almost all plastic inside and plastic won't hold up. Even the coffee makers that have stainless Steele on the outside still has plastic parts inside. And it doesn't matter how much the thing cost, it's almost always plastic inside. That's why I buy a Bunn. A Bunn may have plastic on the outside of the home units but has all stainless parts inside. Some of the older machines from other manufactures had stainless inside and they lasted. Sometimes it's better to go old school - both in shavingand coffee making. Steve (swarden43) got me hooked on roasting my own coffee beans. Now that's really old school. BTW - Its always time for another cup! :)

'65 G-Slim and swarden43 like this.
  14. '65 G-Slim

I used to roast my own until the folks at Mozart's started getting all snooty about selling green beans. "Oh, we can't sell it unless the manager is here." So, I just get whole bean from the bulk section at HEB's.

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  15. swarden43

I would have asked to speak to the manager.

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  16. swarden43

What's your roasting setup?

17. '65 G-Slim

Therein lies the problem. He was conveniently never around.

18. swarden43

It's a shame when a company doesn't want you business.

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  19. Marc Bagwell

Roasting your own is fun but it's not a have to. All that matters is the cup of java you get in the end. Big companies don't bother catering to the individual anymore. That's why I try to find small companies to do business with. They actually want your business. The only problem is finding a small company still in business.

20. Marc Bagwell

Hi Steve,
    Right now I'm roasting on the cheap. I'm using my oven but am hoping to buy a dedicated roaster before long. I wanted to give it a try before spending the money. Do you have a roaster you would recommend?