Aqua Velva

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Steve C, Aug 2, 2017.

1. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

And now, Aqua Velva cocktail's all around!

Thank You Lloyd!

Bird Lives likes this.
  2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

3. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

See that's funny cause I am of German decent. And it's in fact "koo r-uh-sou", like the island. I could post links to dictionaries, sound bites, etc. But I guess you all are done with links huh...

battle.munky likes this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

People who live there.

jtspartan likes this.
  5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

You killed me man! Lmao! I literally fell off of the couch....whew! And the fast come-back Pulitzer goes to....
    :happy097:

jtspartan and battle.munky like this.
  6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Cheers!

7. Bama Samurai

Danke Schoen!

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I don't have it in my Webster's......conclusion-I don't live there.

9. Paul Turner

If that is true, it'd be like the word "circle", "circumference"(and many others that have two c's, each sounding differently....kkkkk and ssssss)

battle.munky likes this.
  10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Kirkular....when James T. draws circles?
    Cursel...

I dunno. English is just a horribly confusing language. I passed every English class I ever took but can't say I understand why the rules are the way they are.

Paul Turner likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

It's a Portuguese word, I believe.

https://translate.google.com/m/translate?tl=fr#auto/en/Curaçao

battle.munky likes this.
  12. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I'm just seeing the recent turn of events on this thread and think I can add some value to it. I recently acquired some Aqua Velva and splashed some on after last night's shave. I walked into the kitchen, hugged my wife, and she said "You smell like a hundred year old man". She's never liked to me before (except for that ONE time she helped my mom get rid of my favorite old hat - I loved that hat) so I'll accept the year statement as fact.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

13. Paul Turner

I wear it a lot, and my voice doesn't sound 100, I still have some blond hair around(the grey is slowwwly coming)and I work out 3 times a week, not including occasional walks around the large driveway of the complex here. To paraphrase(and mess up!)the famous Vince Lombardi quote..."Smell isn't everything, it's ONE thing".

Jim99 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  14. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I was just being a little bit cheeky.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Paul Turner likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

Oh I know....I wasn't trying to be defensive. And NOW I see what you meant about accepting the 100-year statement as fact :). I suppose when I use Clubman now, some may thin they are looking at a 207-year old man(better not be a girlfriend, or fiancée/wife)!. :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  16. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Pulling this thread back on the rails a bit.

Has anyone done a comparison between the "regular" AV we can get here in the States and the Williams AV that's available in Europe?

A quick search tells me the Williams has a bit more mellow scent with some added ingredients for skin conditioning.

Thoughts?

classicav.jpg williamsav.jpg

17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I only tried the European version (of course) and I am slightly underwhelmed. It is good but not great. If the American version is not too different, I probably will not try to acquire it.

18. HKShaving

HKShaving Member

I have new bottles of both the American classic and the Williams right now. Will let you know what I think after I try the Euro kind that I just bought in Spain!

I remember the first time I picked up Aqua Velva in NYC in my late teens. Probably at a CVS. I was like, what is this Aqua Vulva nonsense? I thought it would be menthol-like, but it isn't at all of course. Now, almost 20 years on, I live in Asia and have Aqua Velva sent out here from the US, after I initially turned my nose up at it. ;) I had my sister bring me Clubman, too, and she brings it back to Hong Kong regularly when she visits since she remembers I like the stuff!

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I really like Clubman, but only like AV mixed with Florida water (50/50) to make Blue Steel. :cool:

20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Hmm ... I could try that with my Williams Aqua Velva.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.