Don't look. Not for the weak or faint of Heart. Blackland Sabre...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Oh Yeah!!! And to correct myself, they will have the L2 baseplate by Monday or Tuesday and have them available for sale later in the week along with their inkwell stand.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I visited Razor Emporium about four years ago and got to see the plastic (non-adjustable) 3D printed prototype. The Rex brand was just getting started then. In case you were wondering, Rex stands for (R)eal (EX)perience.

3. Str8on2

A quick update from Blackland Razors on their Sabre L2 plate.....

The Level Two Sabre. Subtle changes make a big difference. To notch up the aggressiveness of the incredibly smooth Level One Sabre, we did two things. First we stepped up the blade gap from 0.6mm to 0.9mm. Then we shortened the safety bar to increase the blade exposure and blade feel. The result is a razor that is efficient with a bit a blade feel while still retaining the smoothness and ease of use that makes the Sabre such a phenomenal platform.
    Production should be wrapping up shortly. These base plates will be available both individually as well part of an assembled Sabre.
    www.blacklandrazors.com
    #shaveoftheday #wetshaving #shaving #classicshave #classicman #shavelikeaman #shavelikeyourgrandpa #safetyrazor #DErazor #blackbirdrazor #cnc #polishing #shaving #machinists #sanfrancisco #GEM
    FB_IMG_1508524583133.jpg
    Looks like a bit more blade exposure and gap. And the SB looks like it has been modified to increase efficiency. Looking forward to this one....

4. Str8on2

L2 base plate and stand on its way. Just received confirmation that Blackland Razors has shipped. Really looking forward to what level of efficiency and aggressiveness this new plate will bring to the Sabre. And hopefully still be a smooth operator. :happy036:

clint64 likes this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Level 2 base plate. In particular how it compares to some of your other modern SE razors.

6. Str8on2

Got my L2 in today with the stand. Held off on shaving since Sunday, so there was 4 days of real good growth. Won't go in to too much details with prep and all. Just got my shower in, hot towel and loaded the Sabre & L2 plate with a 3 times used GEM SS ptfe.

I will say this and say this only. I thought it was a great shaver as it was with the L1 plate. Good efficiency with a very smooth face feel shave. 3 pass was the norm and results were always DFS or BBS finish, period. L2 plate just raised it another notch. Still keeps the smoothness on face, but the efficiency is turned up for the better. A 2 pass, light buff on the chin, dropped the mic performance and walk off the stage finish. 2 tiny weepers, one on the neck and one on the chin. Alum made quick work of it. A fabulous finish. Sabre with the L1 & L2 is the best one two punch in the business for a modern GEM razor. Everyday shaving, the L1 is perfect. 2-3 days it needs a little more work but it will get the job done. The L2, everyday shaving? Check. 2,3 or 4 days growth? Check. Mowed down my 4 days in 2 passes, wirey like steel hair with the slightest bit of irritation on the chin, but that was me being overzealous.

A great razor just made brilliant. Am I happy with it? Damn Straight I am.......

IMG_1844.JPG

clint64 likes this.
  7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I think it’s a great looking razor!

Str8on2 and clint64 like this.
  8. Str8on2

I must say that the Sabre and L2 base plate combo are practically near perfection. Just an excellent smooth, close and efficient shave. I feel for those that gave up on the Sabre for being "too mild". Blackland tightened it up with the L2. That's no hype Gents.....

IMG_1857.JPG

clint64 likes this.
  9. I have 2 shaves in with the L2 and I have found it to be as smooth as the L1 but a definite step up in efficiency. I get as good of a shave with it as my Cobra or Rx but was able to use it 2days in a row without the post shave irritation I get when I try two days in a row with my other 2 SE’s

Str8on2 likes this.
  10. Str8on2

The L2 is a wonderful addition to the Sabre and L1 plate. I also have the Rx and Cobra Classic, and the shave quality rivals those 2 SE Titans. Though I suffer from no irritation from either of those two that you mentioned, I do find that the Sabre is smoother and definitely more forgiving than the Rx. The Cobra is almost as smooth as the Sabre & L2 base plate... Enjoy the shaves. :happy088:

Mark DiLuciano and clint64 like this.
  11. I have only been wetshaving for a little over a year now ,so still learning

Str8on2 likes this.
  12. Str8on2

That will come with experience shortly. If I may ask, which blades do you use in the Rx & Cobra (Classic or King)?

clint64 likes this.
  13. I started with the Feather Pro-Guard and Kai mild. My last 2shaves have been with the Schick proline P30 which seem smoother. I get a great shave but if I use it 2 days in a row,as I’m a daily shaver, I will get irritation right under the jaw line. I have both the King and the classic and I prefer the classic

clint64 likes this.
  14. Str8on2

I had sort of the same issue with my Rx in the very beginning while I was getting acquainted with it. The Feather Pro felt to aggressive and the Kai Titan Captain & Pink where just slightly better but I still felt irritation. Then I tried the Kai MG ProTouch Pink. What a difference. I used those until I got my technique right with the Rx. A tremendously smooth but sharp and efficient blade. And I think I get about 10-12 shaves out of them. I use all Feathers and Kai's without any issue as of now, but those ProTouch Pinks gave me the time to experiment and figure out the Rx. I've never had an issue with the Cobra Classic regardless of blade. Just a thought, perhaps they might help in your case..
    Here is a pic of the Kai ProTouch MG Pink......
    IMG_1859.JPG

clint64 likes this.
  15. Thanks I will give it a try

Str8on2 and clint64 like this.
  16. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

I use the proline P-30 & B-20's for most of my SE's and injectors. There just isn't any smoother blade out there than the Proline and as effective as the Pro. A Kai MG for on the RX and Claymore.

17. Str8on2

Getting reacquainted with a good old friend. It's been a while and the Sabre with L2 plate did not disappoint. 3 passes of pure shaving bliss and cutting prowess.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The best Modern GEM bladed razor in the game. It's not even a debate. Unique design made from a quality alloy to go the distance. Great looks, great performance. Nothing else to be said....

89557EF0-BB84-40C9-9F71-E85EBBF0DCEA.jpeg

jluc likes this.