Difficult to clear blade to continue shaving

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by James_P, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Id agree with the others that a thinner lather would be ideal. Or even better yet, just switch to a brushless/latherless cream.

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

But that takes all the fun out of it.

RyX likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Blech! :sick007:

But that's me ;)

4. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

I kept looking I found one in really nice shape for $18.

Can’t wait to get it. I never really thought I would be excited about shaving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s, jimjo1031 and RyX like this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Congrats on your find. Getting another razor is always exciting, even for those of us who have way to many! :)

RyX likes this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I concur with the "too sticky/too thick lather" theory. You can test for this whilst lathering: When you drag the brush across your cheek, if the lather pulls away (similar to drywall mud) then it's too dry (read: thick).

James_P, RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  7. jar

jar Well-Known Member

It lets water get to both sides of the blade and between the blade and the razor.

James_P likes this.
  8. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

If your next razor doesn't have to be a TTO type, maybe try a 3 piece open comb razor. Fatip Grande razors are all brass and won't rust or flake. (the gunmetal finish will wear off however....ask me how I know)
    They rinse off easily and you could use a thicker lather if that's what you like.

James_P likes this.
  9. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Merkur Futur. This razor has a wide gap and large vents which rinse easily.

James_P likes this.
  10. James_P

Im in trouble now LOL . I have a few bids on a few TTO DE Razors from the 40's and 50's LOL

11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

They don’t call us the Enablers for nothing!

:p

jimjo1031 and James_P like this.
  12. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Yeah right! I was just thinking this. Why not a Three Piece style razor? I have been using the Merkur 23C (180) that my wife got me for Christmas last year non-stop with absolutely no issues. It has a "Tech" style, scalloped bar but I feel that even thick lather would pass through it no problem. Or the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (PAA) Double Open Comb (DOC) is affordable, will cut though the thickest of lather, and is mild enough for any beginner.

Maybe take a look at the suggestions here before you get to far down the rabbit hole:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/im-a-new-wetshaver-which-razor-should-i-get-pic-heavy.16364/

James_P likes this.
  13. Badgerstate

As with all things, YMMV. I know that a lot of people love their lather but you dont need it, all you do is wash it down the drain. I know that when I switched back to carts and disposables, I tried various canned foams/goos and the traditional brush and soap, then I tried a few brushless creams and was sold. No clogging of the razor and I can simply fill a coffee mug with water to rinse out the razor.

14. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@James_P you can get a 2 piece razor a Parker Variant Adjustable this can rinse out thick shaving soap a lot easier, while you'll have a very good grippy handle ;)

[​IMG]

Jim99, Badgerstate and James_P like this.
  15. swarden43

I'll stand by what I always say - It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

16. James_P

Nice. I may have to get one of these. I was thinking of an adjustable one anyway.

I did shave again today. I thinned out the shaving cream and it all want well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim99 and swarden43 like this.
  17. Badgerstate

That's one nice looking razor. Is it made in India like other Parkers are?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

18. swarden43

Glad to hear it went well with a thinner lather.
    I didn't think it was a razor issue.

James_P likes this.
  19. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

You probably can't see it on your D6708 Tapatalk phone, but it does say "INDIA" on the lower portion of the plate.

Badgerstate likes this.
  20. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I get joy and happiness from using a nice brush and whipping up lather, would never want to shave any other way!