Scrubbing Bubbles and vintage Gillette razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mike Williams, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Mike Williams

Mike Williams New Member

I often see Scrubbing Bubbles recommended for cleaning vintage Gillette safety razors. I have two Gillette Techs, probably from the 1960's-1970's with the chrome silver colored finish. I have an ancient Gillette Old Type open comb that looks to be brass.
    The fine print on a bottle of Scrubbing Bubbles says it is not recommended for brass. So, I guess I shouldn't use it on the Old Type. Is Scrubbing Bubbles actually safe to use on the Gillette Techs that appear to be chrome/silver?
    I would like to feel like I could use the Scrubbing Bubbles on chrome Techs at least. Seems like it would be a good cleaner and disinfectant.
    I would like to know what you guys think.
    Thank you.

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I've used it on all types of razors with no issue Mike. If you are concerned you could always use a toothbrush and some dish soap and warm water. If it is one of those razors with some scale on it, you could soak it in the same solution for a while as well.

Also, Harbor Freight has an ultrasonic cleaner that is supposed to work well but I've never used one. That wouldn't disinfect the razor though.

Demidog, DaltonGang and Bobcat like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

i have used the canadian scrubbing bubbles(pump spray bottle) on all my vintage razors at least once with no side effects.however i didn t soak them long and used a toothebrush to help remove the heavy stuff.then i soaked them in hot water and dawn dish soap.

battle.munky and TobyC like this.
  4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Make sure it's the one with no bleach, and use it. I've cleaned many razors, including bare brass ones, with no ill effect. Leave it for a few minutes and then scrub with dish soap, water, and a soft toothbrush. :happy088:

battle.munky, Bobcat and '65 G-Slim like this.
  5. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

:signs011:

I've been using the citrus SB with great results. On TTOs, I also soak in hot water & Dawn to break up the gunk in the innards that SB doesn't get to.

battle.munky, DaltonGang and TobyC like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Use it on every razor I own. No issues.

battle.munky, Bobcat and TobyC like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

DO NOT use the version with bleach!

battle.munky, Bobcat and TobyC like this.
  8. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

It's the first step (no bleach) I use when I receive a vintage razor. I spray and let sit a few minutes and a lite scrub with a soft tooth brush. Next step a 3 hour hot soak (over night if really needed) with Dawn - to help loosen and residue inside the handle. I've used on many (very old) Old Types, 40's to 60's TTO's (including Gold plated) with no issues. Just don't over scrub etc.

battle.munky and Herm2502 like this.
  9. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I've cleaned many old razors. silver, gold, chrome, brass, with a tooth brush using the green Lava hand soap bar that comes in the red paper wrapper. I get the bars at Tractor Supply. Works very well and the bar soap is not abrasive enough to scratch the finish. At least not for me. Then I follow the instructions and soak in Barbiside to sterilize. Some very sad looking dirty razors have turned out to be very nice after cleaning. I've used scrubbing bubbles but I find the Lava bar soap to work faster and much better on old soap scum and stains.

battle.munky likes this.
  10. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Mike you won't hurt that old Tech. Just do a ten minute application of the Scrubbing Bubbles and scrub it with an old toothbrush. I just used it on an old gold Fat Handle Tech and it came out looking great. You can also use Lysol concentrate in the brown bottle, it cleans and disinfects very well, and I use it too.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

battle.munky likes this.
  11. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

Go to a beauty supply shop like Sally’s and buy barbicide. Amazon also carries it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

battle.munky likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I know there a hard core Scrubbing Bubbles fans out there, but I'm not one. Sure, it does fine, with cleaning mildly gunked up razors, but for the razors that are truely gunked up, it won't cut it. I was one of those who tried about everything, starting back at the end of 2013. Scrubbing Bubbles, Ultrasonic Cleaners, diluted vinegar, etc. I had a thing for collecting, fixing, and restoring Gillette Fatboy Razors, Slims, and various other Gillette Razors. Some had decades of dried soap scrum, with hair mixed in, along with other stuff that gets shaved off the face(super nasty). This stuff was dried up inside the handle, effecting the function of the razors. Soaking with Scrubbing Bubbles, even for 24 hrs, just didn't do it. But, one thing has almost always worked well. Hot water and Palmolive.
    I put the water in Pyrex dish, and bring it to a boil, in the microwave. I use just enough to submerge the razor. After it starts to boil, I squirt a tablespoon(or so) in the water and stir until it's dissolved. Then I submerge he partially loosened razor(for Adjustables). I let it soak for a couple of hours, until the fluid is barely warm. Take the razor out, and reheat the solution. While it's heating, use an old toothbrush and scrub the razor. Then soak the razor in the hot solution for a couple of hours, and it should be clean, inside and out. Look at all the crud on the bottom of the Pyrex to verify it did work.

battle.munky and James_P like this.
  13. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Barbicide is more of a disinfectant than a cleaner though. You're supposed to clean first, then use Barbicide, and don't leave plated razors in for extended periods.

James_P likes this.
  14. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

That’s what I was thinking clean it then drop in barbicide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobyC likes this.
  15. nikos.a

nikos.a Well-Known Member

I also use Barbicide when I get a used/ vintage razor. It's a safe choice I'd say, 10 minutes is enough time.