Rockwell Owners Adjustable Razors Club (ROARC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Str8 Shaver

Str8 Shaver Well-Known Member

Prep - Hot towel
    Pre shave - Prep
    Razor – ‘The Rock’ (Rockwell 6S – #3)
    Blade – Gillette Silver Blue
    Brush - 'Papa Chub' (Chubby 3 Manchurian)
    Soap – Mike's Natural
    Post - Cold water rinse / Chatillon Lux: Bon Vivant Post Shave Toner

‘The Rock’/GSB gave a sublime performance with Mike's Natural, the 1st soap that opened my eyes to the fact that not all soaps are equal... LOVE IT!

Tdmsu and Kypros Christodoulides like this.
  2. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

Figured I would dig up an old thread. I recently purchased a used 6C. Tried all the plates and really like R4 for everyday shaving 5 or 6 if I just want to have an aggressive shave. I really like this razor. So I then stumbled on a good buy a few days ago for a 6S. Going to try for the first time tomorrow morning. I know they are basically the same razor but I can tell a we get difference with the 6S and think I will like that better.

I am still fairly new to this scene, but thought the 6S was offered in standard color and Gunmetal just as the 6C is now. I’ve seen photos of 6S that are fairly dark and was assuming that was the Gunmetal finish. The seller posted some pics, but they were not that great. I asked him and he said it was definitely Gunmetal finish, but it definitely looks like the lighter version to me. My 6C is Gunmetal which doesn’t seem that dark either though, so idk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tdmsu likes this.
  3. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

There is only one "finish" on the 6S models. The variation in color is due to the molds needing to be cleaned and possibly a slightly different steel mixture. The gunmetal 6Cs are also a bit light. For some reason they were unable to get them really dark even though they tried.

Tdmsu likes this.
  4. capsfanx

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Tdmsu likes this.
  5. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Like @AverageJoe said, one finish on the 6s and it is not a coating, but rather just the natural stainless steel with, I believe, a bead blast finish.

Tdmsu likes this.
  6. capsfanx

Gotcha. I just kept seeing really dark ones. Thought I had seen a choice of two on the Rockwell site a few months ago, but I guess I didn’t. Was hoping it was the dark ones I had seen. Anyway, used it this morning and was very pleased. I liked the heavier 6S over the 6C.

Puma likes this.
  7. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

The V1 looked darker, perhaps that's the one you've seen?

Also keep in mind, that various photography techniques than render the presentation darker or lighter than it appears in real life.

Puma likes this.
  8. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

That's true. The first version (v1) was a different finish. It was still natural, uncoated metal, but some surfaces were not bead blasted, so the cap, base plate, and handle didn't all match. The ones that came later have the blasted finish, which has a more satin look, on all of the parts.

capsfanx likes this.
  9. capsfanx

Explains why I was seeing different ones then. End of the day the color doesn’t effect how it shaves, so no big deal.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Tdmsu likes this.
  10. Der Koenig

Der Koenig Member

O want to join with a 6c gunmetal. Quite dark compared to some YT reviews..
    I have gone from 1 to 4 but am thinking of backing up to #3 for 30 days.

Terry Williams, Tdmsu and capsfanx like this.
  11. Der Koenig

Der Koenig Member

Ok, so I have now settled for 6c with #4 Astra sp and TOBS almond. I use alum and Nivea senitive balm. 3 shaves wtg wtg. Minor irritation and neck is getting better. (Had some bumps). Only do 3 shaves with blades. The Astra feels great shave three but will stretch that later..

Tdmsu and Terry Williams like this.
  12. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I'm usually a three and out guy on blades. I've gotten seven, but that is unusual.

13. Der Koenig

Der Koenig Member

Yeah I want to keep things as equal as possible for now but 3 feels good even after this.

14. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I try to get about 4 shaves per blade, but stop when it doesn’t feel good anymore. Blades are cheap, I think.

Tdmsu likes this.
  15. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Looks like the 6s and c are back in stock in case anyone needs enabling.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  16. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Yup. I guess the molds have been cleaned and polished, and all maintenance is done. On top of that, there is a 20% off code (VDAY20) during February, if anyone needs some additional enabling. I should have my 6S tomorrow.

Tdmsu likes this.
  17. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

It looks like the 20% off code has expired.

18. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I’m a little late to the club! I’ve recently received a Rockwell 6S Stainless. Still wringing out the Timeless Bronze so haven’t tried it yet! Next week...

Rhody and Tdmsu like this.
  19. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I just got a chrome version and it's really good so far. I heard the Timeless and Rockwell shaved similarly...

jeraldgordon likes this.
  20. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

it depends. ymmv of course. its hard to compare the timeless models to the rockwell. i havent done a side by side. there are many variables including what rockwell plate and which timeless and if its the oc or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.