Mass market bar soaps that are actually soap?

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by PLAla, Nov 14, 2017.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I've been wondering about this for a while now. Many mass market bar soaps in supermarkets and drug stores are actually labeled as beauty bars or other terms. Actual soap seems to be rare to find for the masses.

Which readily available soaps in physical stores are actually soap and not beauty bars? I'm thinking about brands like Ivory, Dawn, Coast, etc.

Keithmax and Linuxguile like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Tom's of Maine?

PLAla and Linuxguile like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Yardley of London is an actual triple milled soap.

PLAla likes this.
  4. Linuxguile

Irish Spring seems to be an actual soap too

PLAla likes this.
  5. richgem

Kiss My Face also makes bar soap which I think is real soap. But, I'm not sure how available it is in B&M locations.

PLAla likes this.
  6. Linuxguile

Looks like Coast is actual soap too:
    upload_2017-11-14_9-38-5.png

Keithmax and PLAla like this.
  7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I like the lavender flavor. These are a buck a piece at my local dollar store.

Keithmax, PLAla and Linuxguile like this.
  8. PLAla

What are you looking for in the ingredients to know?

Linuxguile likes this.
  9. richgem

You want to look for an oil and/or a fat plus a caustic (typically sodium hydroxide and/or potassium hydroxide).

You also do not want to see a detergent such as sodium laurel sulfate (SLS), sodium laureth sulfate (SLES), and a few others. Some of the so-called natural soaps also use SLS under a different name claiming that it's natural. The chemical is the same, it's just a different name and from a natural source.

Keithmax, PLAla and Linuxguile like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Tasting your soap again, there Jeff? :taunt002:

11. Linuxguile

Some type of oils (coconut oil, olive oil, tallow, etc.) they should be the first ingredients in the soap and then sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide (the Lye).

12. PLAla

Right now I'm using a Costco body soap. Here are the ingredients: Sodium Palmate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Laurate, Water, Glycerin, Potassium Myristate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Laurate, Potassium Stearate, Stearic Acid, Titanium Dioxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Ceteareth-20, Disodium Distyrylbiphenyl Disulfonate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

After reading a few posts here this looks to be more of a beauty bar and not real soap, correct?

13. Linuxguile

No, it is a real soap. The main oil of the soap is Palm oil

These are oils that have been saponified:
    Sodium Palmate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Laurate, Potassium Myristate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Laurate, Potassium Stearate,

14. PLAla

Thanks, Andrew! This is pretty fascinating to me.

Linuxguile likes this.
  15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Would all natural 100% vegetable based soaps be included? Shugar Soapworks/Venezia brands are just that. Besides buying them at retail stores, they can be found at Dollar Tree and other discount stores. And they usually come in 7oz-8oz bars.

Keithmax, Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  16. PLAla

I'm unfamiliar with that brand but I'll see if they have them at Dollar Tree on my next visit.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. Linuxguile

As long as it uses some type of oil or fat and a caustic agent to saponify the oil or fat it is indeed soap. It doesn't matter if it is strictly vegetable oil or animal fat.

Keithmax, jimjo1031 and PLAla like this.
  18. Linuxguile

I just looked and it is indeed a real soap, using palm as the main oil in the soap base.

jimjo1031 and PLAla like this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've been using those brands for years, excellent quality and long lasting. Plus some of the proceeds go to charity and they donate many of them to different organizations.

Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  20. PLAla

Here are the ingredients for Coast Pacific Force. It's labeled as a deodorant soap. How is that different? Would that be actual soap since it has palm oil?
    Ingredients
    Soap (Sodium Cocoate [Contains One or More of These Ingredients], Sodium Palm Kernelate [Contains One or More of These Ingredients], Sodium Palmate [Contains One or More of These Ingredients], Sodium Tallowate [Contains One or More of These Ingredients]), Water, Talc, Coconut Acid (Contains One or More of These Ingredients), Palm Acid (Contains One or More of These Ingredients), Tallow Acid (Contains One or More of These Ingredients), Palm Kernel Acid (Contains One or More of These Ingredients), Fragrance, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Sodium Chloride, Pentasodium Pentetate and/or Tetrasodium Etidronate, Titanium Dioxide, Ultramarines, Chromium Hydroxide Green.