Your perfect brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by oscar11, Nov 12, 2017.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

There has been alot of talk on the board lately about luxury brushes, high dollar brushes, whats best,etc. I don't do so good with factory made brushes. I always feel a little tweak would usually improve their performance. Personally if I was choosing a factory brush I'd be looking for a Rooney or a M&F. Obviously the problem is trying to find one. I only own 2 factory brushes both Simpsons, one Manchurian, one synthetic and yes, I'd like to shorten the Manchurian a couple of mm and increase the loft a couple mm on the synthetic. As most of you know I'm a hobby brush maker and I've done alot of experimentation with knots, loft, hair type, etc. Here's my perfect brush. I'm not wild about the handle but again I like to experiment with style and this is where my head was at when I made the brush and I'm trying not to mess with it and view it as a sign post of where I was at the time the brush was made. You can always change a handle but I hope I don't. I have about $110 dollars in this brush. Most of that is due to the Shavemac silver tip knot. I don't consider this as a high dollar brush but it's big on luxury and performance for my taste. Let's see your perfect brush.
    [​IMG]

2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Here’s two brushes that I have and absolutely love.

The one on the left is the JR 221 with a Maggards synthetic knot. The handle is just gorgeous. The other is a Semogue boar (810 or 830 - I forgot) that is by far my favorite knot. All in price is $50.
    3A42FA49-2611-40F3-AEC6-B2963CD27857.jpeg

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I will have to dig out a pic, but for the past few years the Semogue BC Mistura has been my favoite.

It is a stubby mixed knot that works surprisingly well for me. If I could figure out how to safely remove the knot, I would put it in a different handle.

4. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

The Mistura is one fine little brush. Semogue hit a home run with this one.

oscar11 and PanChango like this.
  5. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Here is a link on how I removed a Semogue knot. Gotta be real care when removing the wood around the knot. I used a sharp pocket knife and needle nose pliers.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/semogue-1520-made-rite-5-re-knot-restore.49234/

Keithmax, oscar11 and PanChango like this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

oscar11 likes this.
  7. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

My personal perfect brush is the HJM boar. Good backbone, nice quality handle, a smallish brush (18mm) and you can get them for $11-20 on Amazon.
    HJM also makes a similar brush in badger and synthetic with a more modern-looking handle that go for about $20 that is nice too. All of those brushes are made in Germany too, which is cool, IMO.
    Omega makes some nice brushes in the $10-15 range too but a lot of them kind of look and feel cheap, IMO.

oscar11 likes this.
  8. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

My favorite is the Semogue 830.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This is JR#18. I made this from spalted maple and put a silvertip badger in it. This was back in the beginning when I did not have a lathe. It is still one of my favorites if not the favorite. I won't mention any names, but I have a green brush in the works that may end up being my perfect brush.

[​IMG]

Linuxguile, PLAla, oscar11 and 5 others like this.
  10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

My Shavemac/Rudy Vey caused me to pack all my other brushes away. For me the Shavemac knot blows away the Simpson that I have.

IMG_3284.JPG

RyX, Linuxguile, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  11. Robie Persaud

Robie Persaud Member

This is my Perfect brush. I've had it for almost 1 year now. Contacted Nathan Clark and had him make it for me. Everything about this brush is perfect fro me. IMG_2054.JPG

PLAla, Keithmax, Jayaruh and 5 others like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

My Shavemac ATG Flat Top

[​IMG]

RyX, Linuxguile, PLAla and 10 others like this.
  13. stingraysrock

Yaaaaasssss!

clint64 likes this.
  14. stingraysrock

I am a proud owner of three Oscar11/Steve handles, and they are all very fine indeed!

15. oscar11

I've been toying with the idea of doing a flat top in a DO1 in a silver tip. I had one in a DO1 2 band and it was an excellent brush. Both of the above flat tops are gorgeous.

RyX, FatherofSquirrel and Keithmax like this.
  16. oscar11

Clint is the top part of your brush (white and black) laminated or for lack of better terms painted in the grooves?

clint64 likes this.
  17. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Nice. I like the flat top look. How much was it?

clint64 likes this.
  18. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

upload_2017-11-16_10-16-30.jpeg

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The handle white and black resin stacked and turned by Shavemac.

oscar11 likes this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

It was part of a group buy on Against the Grain which made it cheaper but it was $125 including shipping to the US

oscar11 likes this.