SoS: November 13, 2017 - November 19, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Nov 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

IMG_20171117_220927_processed.jpg
    So-so Saturday
    The scent was amazing, but the shave wasn't great. I got a couple weepers and some burn on my neck. I think the Personna blade wore out after only two shaves. I cut back to only one pass on my neck, so the recovery will be quick.
    Prep: Chatillon Lux Butter
    Soap: T+S Boreal
    Brush: Wild West Go Green
    Razor: Rockwell 6sR6
    Blade: Personna Lab Blue
    AS: T+S Boreal, Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender salve

2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

C V Heljestrand MK31
    Simpson Wee Scot
    Speick Shaving Stick
    Speick After Shave Balm

DSCF7235.jpg

3. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Awww yeah. Bringing out the Shulton! Nice!

RyX, ram57, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  4. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Razor - Edwin Jagger "Kelvin"
    Blade - Astra Superior Platinum
    Shave Brush - Scaramouche+Fandango 22mm "Ultra-Soft" Synthetic
    Shave Soap - The Shave Den "Sensitive" (Unscented)
    Aftershave - The Shave Den "Sensitive" (Unscented) Witch Hazel
    Pre-Shave Oil - Lather & Wood Shaving Co.'s Unscented Pre-Shave Oil
    Post-Shave Balm - Nicci Marie Vitamin-C Facial Serum with Hyaluronic Acid
    Deodorant - Herban Cowboy "Unscented"
    Fragrance - Creed Viking

5. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Date: 19 November 2017 "SOTM"

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
    Brush: - Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synth. 24/53mm knot
    Lather: - Route 66 ~ Bay Lime Twist 4x
    Bowl: - Captain's Choice
    Razor: - Fatip Testina Gentile Close Comb
    Blade: - Gillette Nacet #3
    Post: - Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic / L'Oreal Hydra Sensitive Aftershave Balm with Birch Sap
    Fragrance: - Dolce&Gabbana Pour Homme

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod171119.JPG
    Sunday's Shave
    zcws.gif

Proraso Pre Shave
    Fine Snake Bite
    Jayaruh #241
    Gem 1911 Lather Catcher
    Original Gem Cutlery SE
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Barbasol AS

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Fine Snake Bite Shaving Soap face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #241 synthetic brush. I did two passes with the Gem 1911 Lather Catcher with an Original Gem Cutlery SE and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Barbasol AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  7. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

New Sandalwood Smoke release. This stuff is really good!! Rockwell 6S Plate 4 with a Voskhod....so smooth!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Burak Kucukler

Burak Kucukler Well-Known Member

9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Red Tip
    Blade: Personna Tungsten (12)
    Brush: El Druida Red Heart Chakte Kok/African Blackwood 2 Band
    Soap: Nuavia Blu
    A/S: Floid Blue
    Scuttle: Tanakaska

Winter storm moving in tonight. We will see what we have in the morning. :)
    I used a filter on my photo today. I usually just point and click, but I thought I'd try a very variations.

18 11 17.jpg

10. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Catie's Bubbles - V
    Ever-Ready 100T | Elite Razor Manchurian
    Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead | Gem PTFE

[​IMG]

I fully anticipated Catie's Bubbles' "V" to smell like reptilian extraterrestrials, but alas, it turns out "V" is the Roman numeral thus commemorating their fifth anniversary in the business.

Catie's Bubbles is among my favorites, and has firmly maintained "top artisans" league status for me since the first time I used it approaching one year ago, now. V utilizes their luxury soap base. There's no need to belabor the performance of V, including the top-level slickness, protection, and post-shave it offers, because there are ultimately no strikes against it.

I purchased the full set of soap, splash, and eau de parfum, so my logic dictates that I convey my impressions of the EdP and then address how it translates to the soap. V opens with a bright, sharp, slightly sweet citrus that is an unambiguous grapefruit and to a lesser extent lemon. It's quickly flanked by a woodiness and gentle green botanic musk. This, in a subtle way, is reminiscent of their masterpiece, Confiant, but with a grapefruit lean as opposed to verbena or lemon. I estimate this stage sustains for a good hour or more. However, the descent was quite lengthy. The accord begins to take on some peppery and spicy attributes before they can clearly be defined. This "limbo", as it were, is interesting and subtle. With time, V gains even more complexity and depth becoming darker and more herbaceous and ultimately resinous, approaching syrupy. Finally, in an ever so insidious fashion, breaches that familiar smoky Haitian vetiver requisite to any Catie's Bubbles commemoration. The smoky vetiver is downplayed such that it maintains its elegance.

The lathered soap opens as a less descript citrus battle between something similar to lemon battling grapefruit. Ultimately grapefruit wins out. Halfway though the shave, the green notes actually remind me of freshly broken green fruit tree branches, starting with a camphor and impending medicinal note before rapidly being overtaken by green wood. Unlike the EdP, the soap doesn't give the accord time to burn off the citrus before fully introducing the more resinous and dark sweet notes. This is not a detraction, but rather an observation as to how the base hurriedly translates and mutes the heart fragrance.

I finished with the perfectly matching splash (formally denoted "Before and After Shave") which is difficult to evaluate performance-wise, since the preceding soap nourishes my skin more than adequately. I use the splash for the full experience and the refreshing feel of an alcohol-based aftershave. The fragrance is essentially a less potent iteration of the EdP devoid of any glaring conflict with the splash base itself.

This was a fragrant journey lasting a good 8 hours. It was apropos for a morning shave coinciding with a day that began with an unseasonal muggy 78°F and, as a cold front blew through, is approaching 50°F.

V is an artfully blended and crafted fragrance opening with an unassuming light citrus and ending with a dark resin seemingly telling a story from morning to night or perhaps Summer to Autumn. I'm a huge fan of Catie's Bubbles' Confiant, but I believe V may well have taken its place, or at least become it's colder counterpart.

11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Another clean photo Matt. :happy096:

clint64, RyX and 120inna55 like this.
  12. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Thank you, sir!

13. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Sunday planned SOTD
    [​IMG]

Cobra Classic razor
    Thater 4125 brush
    MdC Fougère Shaving soap
    The Veg aftershave

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  14. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

Schick Type M Injector
    Schick blade
    Stirling boar brush
    Stirling Island Man soap
    Pinaud Clubman aftershave

15. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 11.18.2017

Head Shave Only:
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: VDH Boar
    Shave Cream + Soap: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can + Tabac soap http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/ and http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-adulterated-barbasol-thread.57857/page-4
    Razor: Merkur 34c
    Blade: Derby (I've no idea how many shaves this one has had)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree), Nivea Sensitive Skin PS Balm, Stetson Cooling Moisture AS, Stetson Original Cologne

I don't remember the last time I used the Merkur 34c (one of my early favorites) so I pulled it out to use. Still had a blade in it from last time. I don't usually leave blades in the razor but I did, and I used it. The blade, the razor and the lather all worked great! Achieved a DFS. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!
    IMG_1684.JPG

Smooth Steve, PLAla, Str8on2 and 15 others like this.
  16. sdguero

Thank you for the 1st-rate assessment of Catie's Bubbles - V. I haven't had the pleasure to use any of the products but you have me thinking about it!

17. sdguero

Cool effect on the filter, Doug. Was it already raining.... looks like the wood is already wet?

Dan

Douglas Carey, clint64 and RyX like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with a new razor of mine. It preformed flawlessly, with a 2 pass shave, and BBS results. Awesome American razor.

Razor- New England Razor Co. Boston.
    Brush- B400 By Tom
    Soap- Stirling Spice
    Aftershave- Family Dollar "Spice"

PB181345.JPG

Smooth Steve, PLAla, Str8on2 and 16 others like this.
  19. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

A sweet shave with my Geo Wostenholm Pipe. Adding to the pleasure was a new Romera 28mm Silvertip fan Wengue wood chubby. Blossomed out right away, wonderful feel and great with the soap. Looks pretty special, too. ;)

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Mike’s Natural Soaps Hungarian Lavender
    Romera Wengue Chubby Silvertip
    Geo Wostenholm 5/8 Pipe
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

Geo Wostehholm 5-8 AOS MNSHL RW TRWH.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

NOVember!!!

November 18 - Qshave Focus

Razor - Qshave Futur Clone
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Stirling Ozark Mountain
    Brush - Stirling Synthetic
    Post - Alum

First of all, what a great day. FINALLY a day full of people walking through the door, with money available, looking to put it in my pocket. I'll take more of those, please and thank you. I was looking forward to a great shave tonight to finish the day right.

In order to help that great shave take place I chose Stirling Ozark Mountain soap and their big Pro Synthetic brush. Fantastic scent and lather and with the Qshave on setting "me" and the Israeli Red in for the second day all looked great. And, all was fantastic through the first pass. Great smooth feel, good reduction and then.....at the start of the second pass.....I heard a "click" as I came across on the XTG. Hmmmmm. Seemed to be working all right. Looked ok. Just that "click". So, I finished the right side, switched to the left, started the stroke and "click". What the........ I looked at the razor again, rinsed it, checked it, then grabbed the cap. Hmmmmm. Some wobble in the head of the razor. I could wobble it up and down from end to end and from side to side. What in the world? I dialed it back to 1 and it seemed to stop. Dialed it back to 6 and it was a bit wobbly again if I played with it. Well, let's see what happens. Started again on the left and "click". Ok, now I'm paranoid. I finished the pass at a nice DFS but no extra work for the baby. Let's get rinsed off and take a look.

I took the cap off and the blade out. No apparent damage to anything. Reassembled it, snapped the cap into place and it seemed firm. Don't see anything broken or out of place. A couple of working theories. First, I had really heated the razor under the running hot water to get that good hot feel on the second pass. Perhaps a reaction to the heat? Second, there is a bit of a film forming inside and underneath the blade rest. Maybe the tolerances are close enough that the blade sitting on just that amount of soap film is enough to torque upwards on the cap. My plan - clean the razor good and give it a go tomorrow. I'll try it hot like it was tonight and if it holds together I'll assume I discovered the problem.

Hey @RyX - anything like that happen with your Ming Shi? Inquiring minds want to know!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.