Beginner straight razor?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by James_P, Nov 18, 2017.

1. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I’m looking for my first straight razor. I know a 5/8 round tip is a good starting point. Where should I look to buy? I don’t want to spend a lot Perhaps a kit with a strop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie, RyX and Zykris like this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

WhippedDog.com is a good starting point or Anthony Espositio on Facebook. That's from my experience. They'll get you set up with your preferences and won't hit your bank badly.

Billyfergie, DaltonGang, RyX and 3 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

If you are looking to try them out cheaply, check out Whipped Dog. He offers some vintage straights that may not be pretty but will shave for a decent price.

James_P, Zykris, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Another vote for Whipped Dog. He has sigh unseen straights for a price that will not hurt the wallet and he also has a 'poor man's strop.' You can test waters for a very reasonable price. I started down the path of straights with a ugly but razor that shaves from Whipped Dog.

James_P, Zykris and RyX like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

+1 for Whipped Dog. Larry, the owner of the company will correspond with you via email and discuss your wants and/or needs. The idea of a "Sight Unseen" is that he moves so many razors he doesn't have time to post photos of the more common ones. He does have some special ones listed for a little bit more bucks. I am happy with the 5/8 round point and poor man's strop I got from him.

6. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

Well since I got an overwhelming response about whippeddog.com I contacted him.
    Thanks all!

Perhaps I’ll ask my wife for this item for Xmas so she won’t look at me crossed eyed since I just got into wet shaving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The guys beat me to it.
    I don't recall hearing anything negative about Whipped Dog.

Billyfergie, James_P and Keithmax like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Whipped Dog.

Billyfergie, James_P and Keithmax like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor