Deodorants don't work, suggestions please

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Demidog, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

This title is a bit of a misnomer because there is actually one deodorant that sort of works for me - Old Spice. The problem is that it causes a lot of burning after only a few applications. Combined with the dryness of winter, my underarms are in a world of pain throughout the day. I have dealt with this for decades although there were some points where the pain was driving me mad and led me to spending a lot on trying new deodorants that didn't work.

Here is what I have tried:
    1. Old Spice - burning and tremendous amount of pain as stated above
    2. Speed Stick - useful for about 3 seconds until my underarms start stinking
    3. Herban Cowboy - little bit of burning, no lasting power
    4. Every Man Jack - the best of the bunch but useful for maybe only an hour, much less during warm weather
    5. Arm & Hammer - worst burning of my life, even more so than Old Spice
    6. Various sprays (Axe, Old Spice) - totally useless other than for smelling like a high school locker room
    To put it bluntly, my underarms stink. I'm always extremely self conscious about how I smell so I put up with the Old Spice but it has been killing me this winter. I've been busier than usual and sometimes the burning is so bad that I can't focus on my work. Right now, I carry the stick of Herban Cowboy in my work bag to reapply throughout the day after the Old Spice or Every Man Jack wears off, but I can't carry it to some places like weddings and it leads me to hiding in a corner all by my smelly lonesome.

If anyone has any suggestions whether it be other brands or just things like lotion that I use in conjunction with sticks, I'm all ears and eyes.

2. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

Are you opposed to antiperspirant?
    Dove men’s care sensitive skin works well and is easy on the skin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demidog and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Demidog likes this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

An alum block may help

Robert1955, BigD, Kokak and 2 others like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

In my experience, there's a huge difference between deodorants and antiperspirants. I sweat easily, and I have to use antiperspirants to stay dry and odor free. I prefer unscented varieties by far. This is what I currently use, and it works well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EO23OKI/?tag=thshde-20

I also wear a plain white cotton t-shirt under all my shirts. I found some really lightweight V-necks at Lands' End. It's another layer of protection, easy to change if needed, and it protects my outer shirts from pit stains.

I hope you find something that works.

Hairy Alaskan, Demidog and Zykris like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I used Mitchum, it stained my undershirts.

Demidog likes this.
  7. swarden43

No stains with Brut.

8. wristwatchb

Every product I try stains my undershirts. I wish I could find one that works and didn't stain them. I figure undershirts are disposable after a few months.

9. wristwatchb

Can you get it unscented? I couldn't handle the scented product.

10. swarden43

I don't think so. They have 3-4 different scents. I use their Classic scent.

wristwatchb likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

99% isopropyl. Slather or spray on, let dry. No germs, no untoward odor.

BamaT, jeraldgordon and Demidog like this.
  12. swarden43

But will it keep you dry?

13. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Consider a multilayer defense. Take a shower every morning and use an antibacterial soap like dial. This will wash away most of the bacteria and it’s the bacteria that causes most of the smell. You might follow it up with a splash of isopropyl but it might dry out your skin. Don’t use deodorant. Use antiperspirant as it will reduce the moisture and that is what is helping bacteria to grow. Put on a fresh clean shirt every morning.

If your still having trouble take a serious look at your diet. Pungent spices like onion, garlic, curry and the like can cause you to smell as do some Asian fruits. It can be a tough nut to crack and a dermatologist might help if the above fails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PLANofMAN, BigMike and Demidog like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm a big fan of Degree, but I'll tell you a little secret, my wife uses Dove and I've had to use hers in a pinch, good stuff.

Demidog likes this.
  15. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I've always been very apprehensive of it because it sounds risky to block sweat from being released. I'm also concerned over the aluminum used in them. Old Spice has generally been good enough that I can sweat enough to fill an Olympic swimming pool and still come out smelling pretty good, so it leads me to believe that sweat isn't actually that much of a problem with the right deodorant. Unfortunately the only one that works in spite of all the sweat also feels like hydrochloric acid against my skin.

16. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Here was your big chance to say... "Secret. Strong enough for a man, made for a woman". :D

Demidog likes this.
  17. swarden43

You're making an assumption without trying the product.
    I've used Brut antiperspirant/deodorant for the past 35 years - zero issues.
    Not saying you won't have a problem or that it will work for you, just sayin' give it a go.

Demidog likes this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That’s what gives me the best results. My husband (who can also smell bad) likes Mitchum Unscented Gel. In addition, he showers with eucalyptus soap. Eucalyptus oil is a natural antiseptic, which helps because body odors are caused by bacteria.

178-bplatoon, BamaT and Demidog like this.
  19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Alum block can be used as a deodorant. Also, plain coconut oil (with or without added essential oils) works pretty well too. Neither will keep you from sweating, but they will (to greater or lesser degree) kill the bacteria that makes ya stink. Someone around here said he had good results by just "sterilizing" his pits with rubbing alcohol before putting his shirt on.

BamaT and Demidog like this.
  20. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Perspiration is not sweat. Sweat is your body’s natural cooling process kicking in as a result of work and overheating and every pore in your skin releases moisture. You can’t block your armpits with anything to stop sweat.

People naturally perspire in different amounts thruout the day and antiperspirant helps reduce that.

Demidog likes this.