Design and Manufacture my own Straight Razor / Shavette

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Manumik, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Manumik

Manumik Well-Known Member

Yes, these are the 3D renderings. The Blade will be mad of polished Stainless Steel ans the scales made of alloy.
    The Razor will allow to use Injector and Feather Blades.
    Do you think the flat Tang could be somting to make it not comfortable to shave with? :/

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    TestDepth and PickledNorthern like this.
  2. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

I'm a user of straights and I have tried lots of stuff with this kind of injector blades (a collection of the ones I loved can be seen at my site: http://roncall.wixsite.com/zendo/feather-kai-razors

The traditional shavettes where a disappointment except for the IBC shavette that I found very good but in the long run the beauty of being able to use a half DE, a Feather and a injector blade in the same razor took a backseat to the fact that the mechanism started to be unreliable (this was however after a whole lot of use). The handling however was very good.

When I look at your design I see a straight razor (no visible mechanism where the injector blade goes in) and the design remembers me of the handles a very good straight razor maker uses a lot (Buddel from Fine Razors Germany). But that's ok, I mean all designs you come up with have probably been done before as far as handles goes.

I have with your permission placed the question on our Dutch shaving forum and am waiting for input.

Good luck with the project!

Keithmax, Manumik, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I like the design, simple yet with style.
    I had to take a feel of how I hold my str8s before commenting on the tang. A curved tang does make the razor feel a bit more secure in the hand. But that's me.

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I would like it better as a Straight Razor.

Manumik, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

My initial gut instinct is that I would like to see some curvature in the tang, but without holding one, it is hard to know. It has a kamisori look to it, and almost looks like it could use a straight, wrapped design, without the scales.

I am following this with interest. Good luck to you.

Manumik, TestDepth and Jayaruh like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

Manumik and Billyfergie like this.
  7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I know I use the curved tail on my straights to help move them when I shave. It almost looks like that one would poke the hand if I held it that way. Beauty of a design though. I would be willing to try it.

Spyder, TestDepth and Manumik like this.
  8. Manumik

Amazing! Thank you!

Spyder likes this.
  9. Manumik

I have a 3D Printed one and for me it goes well with the flat tang. But i will change the Tang and make an other 3D print to compare the... I will post a 3D rendering picture of one with a curved tang soon :)... Thanks for you feedback guys... you are awesome!

10. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

The problem I see is that the blade in your design compared too the lenght of a injector blade would make for a razor that’s too small to hold

Spyder and Manumik like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I would assume the size of the “blade” would be that of an AC style blade, and the injector blade simply wouldn’t take up all the space. (Like the Irving Barber shavette)

Keithmax, Spyder and Manumik like this.
  12. Manumik

The Blade of my razor is longer than the injector Blade. As you can also load it with feather blades i had to make it longer... the blade lenght is about 6cm
    Check my 3D prototype:
    http://www.imgbox.de/show/img/BckqjLql56.jpeg
    [​IMG]

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's cool. I'd be willing to give it a try myself.
    [​IMG]

Spyder, Drygulch and TestDepth like this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I’m also basically drawn to a more traditional type design. Perhaps a thumb notch and curved tail???

Manumik likes this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Spyder likes this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The part thick’s up on the heel I would keep flat. Since it is a shavette and not hollow grind straight you don’t need the support.

Manumik and Spyder like this.
  17. Manumik

You right... I'm almost done with the new design. Thanks

Spyder likes this.
  18. Manumik

Sry i don't get it :)... But im working on a new design... i will post is here as soon as im done..

Spyder likes this.
  19. Manumik

Still working on it :D!
    It takes so much work as expected but it's also very fulfilling and exciting to create something which was just a taught in the beginning and seeing it come to live step by step. After more than 78 3D-printed prototypes and one CNC Machined I'm close to getting my last production-level prototype.
    After I got the first CNC Machined prototype I was forced to change the whole design because of weight and balance issues. But I'm really thankful this happened because I love the new design so much more :D.
    I will reveal the new pictures soon for you guys.

I'm also playing around with different colors options for the handle. I will start with only one color and add more options later on to keep things simple.
    Black would be the smartest option to start with, but I can't help myself to start with a color first :D... maybe dark blue, red Bordeaux or green...
    What do you guys think about that? Would love to get some opinions - Thanks!

(Handle will be anodized aluminum)

20. DarkSpy

DarkSpy New Member

How is this project coming?

Manumik likes this.