Are Synthetics Really Best?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Steve C, Jul 23, 2017.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'd have to say no. There are favorite brushes for each individual shaver. There is certainly nothing wrong with synthetics or boar or badger for that matter. Use what you like and works for you. I do have a personal prejudice with horse hair. I doubt I'll ever buy a horse knot again but there are people that like them too.

2. Macktheknife

Macktheknife Active Member

The only synthetic that worked for me is the $11.95 Maggard black and white 22mm. Tried half a dozen others.

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. Epicurean

Epicurean Active Member

I have been using synthetics from Razorock for a few years now but only just ordered my first silvertip brush from West Coast Shaving. Maybe I should also compare a best badger, and pure badger for a more balanced comparison. Does the hair differ from company to company? If I compare a silvertip from one company against a silvertip knot made by someone else, how much will the quality and performance vary?

Spyder likes this.
  4. jar

jar Well-Known Member

There is no real standard when it comes to naming grades of badger and often each manufacturer sets their own criteria and even naming practices. What may be Silvertip in one make might be Finest or High Mountain White or Manchurian or Best at a different maker.

Historically they were all simply called "Pure Badger" and names like Silvertip are a recent marketing device.

Spyder likes this.
  5. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

These days most knots are sourced from China where the budger is considered to be a pest. Big buyers can demand for their specific requirements.

6. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

I like both. There is good and bad in everything.

Redfisher likes this.
  7. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

I have nothing against synthetics, they dry up in no time and are also quick off the mark getting the lather going. When it comes to face feel though, I would never trade my 2 band finest for a synth. This is a hobby and as such, we all strive to get as much satisfaction and pleasure from our equipment as possible. Under this light I would only use a synth in an emergency and not with the intention to derive pleasure. Shaving is an occasion to be enjoyed. I would consider it a sin to use my Sabre, or ER 1912, or FB, with a synthetic brush if I have ample time to shave and enjoy. If I had to be out the door in 10 min. I would use the synthetic along with Chinese Futur pretender. I wouldn't even bother to rinse the brush or the razor.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    BamaT, Marine68 and Jim99 like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If I may paraphrase...
    It's your shave. Enjoy it your way. :)

Well said, Kypros! :happy088::happy088:

9. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I like both and have about an equal number of each. Now some brushes just plain suck but a decent quality brush synthetic or natural should do a good job. Every brush has a personality and sometimes takes a little while to figure out. Like how much water it holds, how much soap to use etc. It's fun to have the choice!

BamaT and Marine68 like this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Very well said, and I appreciate your viewpoint. However, how a brush feels to the face, and how we derive pleasure is subjective. I'm perfectly fine with how my H.I.S. synthetic feels, and it is a superb performer. What @swarden43 said is absolutely correct, it's your shave, enjoy it your way!

Marine68 likes this.