Cleaning limescale off a safety razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Alex7, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Hello. How do I remove limescale off a safety razor? After every shave I wipe down the razor with a microfiber cloth. After every blade change(about once every 4 shaves), I clean the razor with a toothbrush, water and dish soap. I used CIF Bathroom Ultrafast, but I believe it may have damaged my first safety razor(Edwin Jagger 89DE). Now I have a Wilkinson Sword Classic Safety Razor. No matter how dry my razor it, after some time limescale appears. Maybe it's because I have hard water.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Scrubbing Bubbles.

3. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Like I said, I've ued CIF Bathroom Ultrafast(this is the alternative for Scrubbing Bubbles in Romania I believe), but I think it damaged my first razor(an Edwin Jagger 89DE).

4. swarden43

How long did you let it soak?
    I have heard of Scrubbing Bubbles taking the color off of Gillette Lady Star razors, but after prolonged soaking.
    I've never had any problems, I allow it to soak only as long as it takes the bubbles to dissipate. And that's even using it on the Star razors.

5. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

I've let the CIF Bathroom Ultrafast sit for 1 minute on the razor.

6. swarden43

Must be some potent stuff!!!

7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Barkeepers Friend and an old toothbrush.

8. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

I was told from another forum to let it sit for 1 minute on the razor and then scrub with a toothbrush that also was sprayed with the CIF Bathroom Ultrafast for another 1 minute. So 2 minutes total.

9. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Perhaps you might use distilled water for your shaves. That should solve the problem

10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Were you using the version with bleach? Might be the reason why........

11. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Bleach isn't listed on the list of ingredients.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  12. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I use CIF mousse which I am sure is the same thing as you have with no problems, (dont leave it in for long) just for the bubbles to dissolve (5 mins tops) then a proper rinse off.
    Or get a sonic cleaner they are cheap enough (well in the UK they are) I have one for under £20 would pay for its self soon enough as you wont need to be CIF for your razors.

13. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Is the ultra fast CIF a mousse? as I use the CIF bathroom mousse, if its the trigger spray them that is something I have not used.

14. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

It's not a mousse.

15. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Buy the mousse as that I do know works and seems mild even on gold plated razors, as I said I only leave it on for a few minutes and then a proper rinse off

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

16. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

17. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

"
    Safety warning
    Precautions: Keep away from children. Keep away from eyes. If product gets into eyes rinse thoroughly with water. Rinse and dry hands after use. Avoid breathing spray. Do not use on marble or other natural stones, brass or gold taps. Before use on old or damaged enamel or any painted surface test on a small inconspicuous area first.

18. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

So this shouldn't be used on safety razors?

19. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

At least avoid exposed brass and gold wash, and limit the length of exposure. I wouldn't use it myself.

20. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

So what should I use as an alternative?