Razor fatigue?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Eeyore, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

There are two very nice stainless steel razors for sale on a local site, for an attractive price (about 60% of the original resale price). I've come very close to buying one of those already several times, in the last few days. But each tme just before I click, I start thinking "why bother?". The truth is that, with each of my current razors, I can get an excellent shave. I don't think it's going to be drastically better with yet another razor. In fact, if I only had two razors (a milder one and a more aggressive one), I would be set for life as well. I think I am suffering from razor fatigue, and I think someone else is snatching up the bargains before I do ... not sure if I should be happy or sad :p

BamaT, Yehuda D, Shaver X and 8 others like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

ADs come and go. The challenge is to be happy with what one has.

Tdmsu, BamaT, Yehuda D and 7 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sounds like you are missing RAD? It's a phase many of us are stuck with, but coming out the other side is a good thing. Being satisfied with the tools you have was the reason for The Quest for razor that work for you. No shame in becoming a Minimalist. Did you want to be a Collector?

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

BamaT, Shaver X, Demidog and 3 others like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

For me, I’ve become very selective now that I have most every razor I’ve wanted. It’s not that I wouldn’t buy, but it needs to be special.

Tdmsu, Herm2502, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011: Great advice not only for our shared shaving hobby, but also for many other aspects of life as well.

BamaT, Shaver X, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the very useful input :)

RyX and richgem like this.
  7. drwevil

drwevil Well-Known Member

But it sell it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I think we all reach that point eventually. You find products that work for you and feel less of a need to experiment.
    I know that when I first started, for about a year I was trying various razors, brushes and soaps; to the point where I was getting packages almost every day. Then, I kind of settled on a minimalist approach and now I'm a disposable and brushless cream guy. I spend a lot less and my shaves are just as good, although my gear isn't a cool as it used to be.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Shaver X, RyX, Demidog and 2 others like this.
  9. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I'll look through the "bay", put a handful of razors on my watch list to decide a purchase, then let them all end lol.
    By happenstance, my three vintage razors are dramatically different...a MMOC, a pat. 1912 Ever Ready and a late 70s Tech. I've got the spectrum pretty well covered as far as characteristics go. I'd love a de open comb though, just haven't done it. I have, on the other hand, been trying carious aftershaves, creams, soaps, etc, so that's been keeping my ad satisfied. 346x0f4.jpg

BamaT, Shaver X, Razorhound and 2 others like this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

My dad once told me to be happy, you need to have what you want and want what you have. Don't worry about the rest...

BamaT, tuxxdk, Razorhound and 3 others like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Same here: I think I have two de’s, three se’s left.
    We’re not gonna talk about str8’s though :p

12. David W650

David W650 Active Member

I agree with that.

Shaver X likes this.
  13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are suffering from common sense. It doesn't get much better than excellent. My theory is that, regardless of what they might say, most collectors/accumulators buy tons of stuff to find the very best gear. They seek the soap/cream, razor, blade, brush, etc. combination that will give an outstanding shave every single time. Once that is found, the motivation to use anything else is greatly decreased.

How many times have forumites bought hugge hoards of gear, and later pared that collection down to a few choice pieces? Quite a lot from what I have seen. They then start posting less often on the forums and eventually disappear. Everyone? No, but most. That's a good thing because it means mission accomplished for yet another shaver.

It doesn't even have to be a safety or straight razor, and a brush is not necessarily required. Except when we are fortunate enough to get a barbershop shave, shaving is a very individual and personal task. Traditional, cartridge, or even electric shaver, it is is all about what works best for each person as an individual.

BamaT, PanChango, RyX and 3 others like this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I enjoy the hunt of the razor. As I am fully committed to SE and straight razors now. I sold off all but a couple of DE’s. That being said I still find myself buying DE’s when the price is right. I like taking and cleaning them up and getting them to their formal glory.

I will hang on to them. That way I have stuff to barter with when I see something that I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LOOT, BamaT, RyX and 4 others like this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Very insightful and true on all accounts. I am now in the process of whittling down the Straights into a manageable pile of me favorite pieces. Probably a couple of higher end str8’s, and I’ll probably be done. I have used up a number of soaps, and have added one. The ad’s have really began to subside.

LOOT, RyX, Shaver X and 1 other person like this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I thought I had my safety razor AD's well under control until this month. I now have two new razors coming. I have a Merkur 'Future"clone($10.99). and a Bevel 3 piece($19.95) "it's supposed to work like the "Bump Fighter" on their way.:happy093:
    Beating the AD's is soooooooo hard.:)

LOOT and Spyder like this.
  17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

For my fellow Christians here, the Bible tells us we have to "learn" to be content. Very true, and it does apply to many aspects of our lives as you said.

LOOT, twhite, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.