Nov 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2017.

?

What's YOUR plan for NOVember?

1. A Rule with a DE razor

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. A Focus with a DE razor or razors

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. A Rule with a straight razor

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. A Focus with a straight razor or razors

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Something like a Focus but not really a focused Focus

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. I'm just hanging out for Thanksgiving. Turkey baby!

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. Did someone say cookies?? Because I thought you had forgotten!

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug.

2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thanks, Clint!

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

After a shower, I was combing my hair. I keep it short - between 1/2" and 3/4". My granddaughter Melody watched as I passed the comb around my standard male pattern baldness.
    When I ran the comb over the top she asked, "Why are you combing up there?" I answered." Combing my 'air..."

4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I’m firmly on the Dark Side. Once in a while I step into the light and then slither back.
    The Kent things are for combing the few hairs I have left.

5. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

I have the "standard" receding hairline. It just keeps moving back farther and farther as time goes on. What I do have, I keep short. I break out the trimmer, slap on the #1 plate, move the lever to the shortest setting and go to town! I haven't paid for a haircut in years, nor have I owned a comb or brush in years. I reckon the money I save in hair care can be applied to shaving supplies! ;)

6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

She said she started with the three ingredient recipe here, and changed it a little to add Vitamin E oil and Almond Oil both. She was very surprised I liked the scent as much as I do, as Jasmine isn't something she would think of as a male fragrance. Mark, I lived 28 years in Arizona, and didn't have these kinds of issues with my skin until I moved out of the desert. Or allergies.

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful picture, Mark!

Great wrap up and picture, Clint!
    Nice picture, Charlie! Is that another scrapbooking background?
    Super picture, Perry!
    Terrific set up, Brian!

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

NOVember Focus restored

Route 66 Retro Spice
    30 DC LE Cashmere
    Ming Shi 2000S on 5
    Ming Shi MP-036 blade
    Alum, Shulton Old Spice
    Unrefined Shea Butter

SOTD 11302017.gif
    Enough dilly dallying, back to the Clone to finish No Variation Focus. Easy Route 66 lather via Jason's Limited Edition handle and a synth knot. Skipped the bowl and loaded from the OS ceramic, straight to a face lather. Popped an O.E. blade out of it's double wrapped/no wax dots paper and into the adjustable. Setting Five seemed to be where I've settled and it didn't disappoint. Great audible from the razor and the blades are certainly sharp. Three passes with a little clean up rewarded me with a DFS and further confirmed this blade holder is a keeper. Alum let me know I still need to concentrate on riding the cap. Old Old Spice went on smooth and I ran my scented hands through what's left of my hair. Knowing my procedure for applying Shea Butter is used by at least one other shaver, it was rubbed in with confidence leaving my skin happy.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Another great photo, Jason. I also got a little bit of a burning sensation from the Farinik, presumably from the cinnamon. But I like the scent well enough that I will be keeping it around.
    Here's to a better shave tomorrow, John! :eatdrink047:
    Fantastic setup, Mark!
    Another great month of shaves and even better photos, Clint!
    Awesome photo, Charlie! Are you going to stop at 7 ?
    Great photo, Perry! I like the scent profile of AdP too!
    Great shot, Brian!

10. Norcalnewb

851AB27C-C16A-4D02-8E43-F230F23C7A76.jpeg

November 30 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    Arko
    Gillette Tech
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Clubman VI Bay Rum

Last NOVember shave, and I had to work in some Arko. Two passes and near BBS. A very easy going shave for this morning. I am also heading back home this afternoon, so it is a great day. I hope everyone else has a great day as well.

wristwatchb, Boojum1, RyX and 9 others like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Mark. I love it also. You, Clint, and I have owned the Panna Crema Twitter feed for the month. :happy088:

Boojum1, FaceScraper, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I suppose I should put yesterday's shave up, as it will be my last one for November. I got a gift from my Secret Santa with a return address of South Korea on Tuesday. I opened it to find two frame back straight razors, and two soaps. Wednesday's shave was with the French Frameback. I spent some time on Tuesday night working on the edge, and got a DFS shave from it. First use of RazoRock XXX. Scent is awesome, performance is great for the price point. I didn't get as long of lasting of a shave with this razor as I like. The front two thirds of it had a fantastic edge, but the heel wasn't as good. I am going to try and refine the edge a bit before tomorrow's shave.
    492BF434-92F4-4AD8-93AB-A95F99D6023A.jpeg
    Focusing on my rotation this month has helped me identify a few things.
    1) I have way too many razors.
    2) Life is too short for soaps that I don't enjoy using. I have a ton of really good soaps, but am only keeping the ones I really like.
    3) I have approximately 6 years worth of soaps. I don't need any more. I have more on the way.
    4) Keeping a razor in the rotation until I dial in the edge is helping me improve my honing skills.
    5) You guys take amazing photographs. If you want to see a big change, go back to the first few months of the 30DC, and look at those pictures. Big changes since then. Mine have gotten better, but not in the same class as some of you.

wristwatchb, RyX, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  13. Linuxguile

Interesting to see the Ming Shi blades were actually decent, Rick!

RyX, FaceScraper, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Perfect setup and picture Brian. Great Mongoose.

FaceScraper, clint64, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Brovo Jim. :happy088:

FaceScraper, clint64, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  16. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Doug!

17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank is an excellent looking razor Perry. :happy096:

18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I did the exact same cut for about ten years. My wife convinced me to grow it longer a little over a year ago. Now I have a favorite barber shop

19. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

The monthly wrap ups are my favorite posts on the 30DC threads. Thanks everyone for sharing.

wristwatchb, RyX, Norcalnewb and 8 others like this.
  20. Linuxguile

Nice photo Adam, XXX is a great scent. Do you know if you have the new Super Tallow formula(with lanolin and shea butter)? I find that it stands pretty close to the better Artisans in terms of performance.
    Nice photo, Jim! Have a safe trip home!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.