Modern razor like Gillette New Improved

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Nov 26, 2017.

1. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

The Atlas R2 is generally similar in concept, but I doubt it's anywhere near as smooth. You can't beat Gillette brass razors for smooth! If your face likes the New Improved, you're gonna have to use a New improved.

tuxxdk and BamaT like this.
  2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

WCS Midnight Collection Razor 78B, Black Stainless Steel, Open Comb
    West Coast Shaving

"This textured handle is constructed with stainless steel and coated with black so it is long-lasting, corrosion-resistant, and dramatic."

"The heads are zinc-alloy with black-coating." <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It looks to me the teeth have the downward curved ends, not the straighter ones like an Old Type.

4. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I have the M2 and R1 plates and I find both to be smooth. I think the M2 is smoother though, so I'll probably be looking for a R2 plate. I've never used a NEW Improved, but I do have a short comb and I much prefer the ATT M2.

5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with teeth length or angle, it's the head design. The Pearl head that you posted, and the OLD type, have a simple curve on the top of the baseplate for the blade to sit on, with pretty much zero blade gap, and a three pin alignment system, like this.

e798df230b5f20ad4301bd1446679762 (1).jpg

The New Improved still used three hole blades, and the three pin alignment system, but the blade bed sat higher than the combs giving a blade gap and somewhere for the slop to go.

e798df230b5f20ad4301bd1446679762 (2).jpg

The New was a complete redesign of the head, with a new blade alignment system that precluded the use of Gillette three hole blades.

e798df230b5f20ad4301bd1446679762.jpg

Jim99, TestDepth and BamaT like this.
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

The New Improved and the New are different designs, so they will shave differently. I've never shaved with an ATT, so I'll take your word for it! :happy088:

7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Better pictures.

OLD type, and Pearl, and many others, have a baseplate like this.

1918 Bulldog handle silver beschriftet Logo.jpg

The New Improved with fulcrum edges on the flat top blade bed, the cap pushes the blade edges, under tension, over the fulcrums, where the blade edges "float" over the comb teeth.

1922 Aristocrat.JPG

Jim99, TestDepth and BamaT like this.
  8. jimjo1031

And that's why I said it, the base plate of the West Coast razor looks similar to the New, not the old type. This pic shows the curve of the teeth on razors 2,4 and 6.
    Midnight-Collection-Razor-Black-Stainless-Steel-WCS.jpg

Jim99 likes this.
  9. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

He's not looking for a long comb New, he likes the New Improved, which is a completely different razor.

10. jimjo1031

I know, I have one, a Bostonian and New Short and Long models. It differs only in that the teeth of a New Improved are longer than a New Short and shorter than a New Long. It's in the middle in length between the two New Razors, but the all three have the same profile when viewed from the side. All I did was suggest that razor because of it's similarity and it isn't expensive. about $25.00. I haven't seen a modern New Improved on the market, maybe there is one, I really don't know. For me,all three shave almost the same, with the New Improved closest to the New Long, with the New Short slightly more aggressive.

11. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Brother Tuxxdk

So your Gillette New Improved razor has a crack in the handle. So what? The razor is almost 100 years old. Given decent care, it still will outlast anyone reading this thread.

The crack does not affect the shave, and most of the time the common cracks are small and really don't have much negative impact on the appearance of the razor. The crack probably is not even visible, unless you're looking for it. Your razor probably is "triple plated silver," and it will shine up beautifully to a beautiful "white" with a tad of silver polish, several times a year. That should compensate for a tiny non-consequential crack.

tuxxdk and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

What I am worried about with the crack is that it'll worsen now that it's seeing some usage. I know it doesn't affect the shave as such.

I soon have a New Deluxe on the way. From what I can gather from reading it's supposed to be the best from the New and New improved. It's a simple 3-piece design where I don't have to worry about cracks.

For the past 3 shaves I have tried my Rockwell on plate R5 and R6. Seems like efficiency is on par with the New Improved although it's not open comb. Smooth as well. I have stopped looking for a modern alternative to the New Improved because I have yet to find someone who rates an ATT better than Rockwell. If I hadnt already have a Rockwell I would go for an ATT but since I do, I'll stick with that and the few vintages I have.

I have benefitted a great deal from this thread and for that a thank you will sound! Thank you.

Jim99 likes this.
  13. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

"Simple three piece designs" can crack. I have a Gillette NEW SC that has a cracked handle. Cracks are not caused or exacerbated by "usage." Cracks are caused by pressure from friction-fit fittings.

14. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I'm in for info... I've been struggling to find a New Improved.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

15. What about a Charcoal Good’s razor? All brass but not sure which Gillette head they are based on

16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Never heard of them before, but oh my they look fantastic IMHO! Really like the looks.

I know how the cracks are formed, but I wasn't aware that the handle from the never vintage Gillettes was designed like the old ones press-fitted. Luckily, being 3-piece, it's easily swapped with a handle that''s not prone to cracks.

I'd venture out and say, given the design with the friction-fitted fittings, usage (repeatedly loose/tightening procedure) it's exactly the cause.

17. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Well based on your review of the New Improved I think you have your answer. Stay with the proven. Vintage Gillette. By the way your review has me even more antsy. I have a New Standard on the way but won't get here until late next week.

tuxxdk and jimjo1031 like this.