Nov 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2017.

?

What's YOUR plan for NOVember?

1. A Rule with a DE razor

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. A Focus with a DE razor or razors

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. A Rule with a straight razor

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. A Focus with a straight razor or razors

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Something like a Focus but not really a focused Focus

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. I'm just hanging out for Thanksgiving. Turkey baby!

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. Did someone say cookies?? Because I thought you had forgotten!

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

November Wrap Up

I began a focus in late October to compare and contrast the performance of various Russian DE blades and to dial in my Simpson Chubby 2 in Super (aka The Soap Destroyer). It has been an eye-opener for me. First of all, I have observed only minute differences in blade performance between the brands. All have been very good. If I had to pick a favorite so far, it would be the Perma-Sharp Super by a small margin. For me, it has the perfect combination of sharpness, smoothness, and longevity. I re-focused on the basics: skin prep, lather building, using no pressure, skin stretching, and riding the cap. As a result, my shaves improved in both closeness and comfort. I also tried "pushing" a couple of DE blades to 7 shaves (Perma-Sharp Super and GSB), and they performed flawlessly. I think my re-focus on the basics is the main reason for the extended blade life.

I learned that loading The Soap Destroyer properly (heavily) is only the way to go. If I do this, I'm rewarded with mounds of slick and protective lather. The CH2 has gone fromIt a 'so-so' brush to an absolute favorite. I could continue to use the Weber indefinitely. I consider it to be a bit above average on aggressiveness, and I love the weight and feel of it in my hand.

I've got a bunch of blades to work through, so my current focus will continue through December. I'll be challenged to come up with unique photos of the same set up each day, but it will fun trying.

I have so enjoyed following everyone's progress this month. I continue to learn from each of you, and I'm amazed by the wonderful setups and photos you all share daily. Most of all, I'm thankful for the friendships, support, and prayers from you all. This is a safe and supporting place where we can all share our 'ups and downs,' and I'm glad to be part of the 30DC. A big thanks to @NCoxSTL for leading the charge!

I'll see you all in DECember!

November.jpg

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great recap Charlie.

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great writ up Charlie. Thanks for your participation.

4. wristwatchb

Thanks guys! It was fun riding along with you!

:thanks:

5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

it was fun having you by my side[​IMG]

RyX, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  6. wristwatchb

I made one improvement to my bike for DECember.

6.jpg

RyX, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.