Kokak's Safety Razor journey...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kokak, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170902 Sat@1730

Prep: Stirling Lime Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Soap Commander Fortitude
    Shaving Bowl: Jays Clay's "Best Grip" Lather Bowl
    Brush: Stirling Boar Brush (24 mm x 57 mm)
    Single Edge Razor: GEM MMOC (WTG - XTG - WTG)
    Blade: GEM Personna RED (1)
    Splash: Humphreys Witch Hazel
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot Lavender (+Menthol) + Orange Chill (+Menthol) + Sandalwood (+Menthol)
    Balm: none

This Single Edge GEM is really nice. The Open Comb feels really good while reduce my whiskers and left my face BBS after 3 passes. No irritation, nicks or cuts. As this is the only Single Edge I have, my entries will become quit boring this month.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

By definition, a straight razor qualifies as a single-edge razor...
    ;)

Kokak and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  3. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

All of my razors are vintage, but a well written and understanding review like yours could very well sway me to try new ones.
    I too enjoyed the journal format. Thanks for the interesting, informative and well written posts, and the discussion it prompted!

Kokak likes this.
  4. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

You know... I was thinking the same thing earlier.

Thanks.

5. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170903 Sun@1315

Prep: Stirling Lime Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Single Edge Razor: GEM MMOC (WTG - XTG - WTG)
    Blade: GEM Personna RED (2)
    Splash: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

So today I decided to Chill out, Glacially. It has been sometime since I used the Glacial Lemon Chill soap and aftershave... WOW. My face was numb from all the menthol. And the aftershave was so cold it was hot. If I plan on using the aftershave again I will need to mix it with something to dilute the menthol a bit. The shave was smooth and relaxing. I do believe I get a better shave from my straight razors and even my Rockwell DE. But this razor ads a bit of variety and nostalgia at the same time. I was fortunate to receive this as a PIF and am grateful I have had the opportunity to use it.

6. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170904 Mon@1130

Prep: Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Proraso Green
    Single Edge Razor: GEM MMOC (WTG - XTG)
    Blade: GEM Personna RED (1)
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot Lavender (+Menthol) + Orange Chill (+Menthol) + Sandalwood (+Menthol)

I tried to have a 3rd shave with the same SE blade (GEM Personna RED), but that was a no go. With just one stroke upon my cheek I came to that conclusion. The tugging was going to leave my face irritated for sure. I changed to a new blade and irritation averted. I also settled on a DFS 2 pass shave. The idea; if I limit my shaves with the GEM MMOC to 2 passes, I might be able to get 3 comfortable shaves from a blade (we will see).
    The lather and scent from the Proraso is very pleasant. The slickness and post shave feel was okay. I will continue to use this soap, occasional, until done but will probably never buy it again. I have too many better preforming soaps to take up space in my den with just an "okay" soap.

7. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170905 Tue@2230

Prep: Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: B & M 42
    Blade: GEM Personna RED (2)

Another SE shave. The second shave on the GEM blade was good. I am hoping I get a 3rd shave out of it (we will see). B & M was a good performer as well. Slickness and post shave feel is very nice. Lather cushion was so-so (maybe my lathering technique last night). My face was nice, soft and smooth.

8. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170906 Wed@2200

Prep: Chiseled Face Pre-Shave Gel
    Shaving Soap: MWF
    Blade: GEM Personna RED (3)

It was "Wool Fat" Wednesday. Man do I love the "Fat"! It was a great 2 pass shave that left me with DFS results. Very comfortable and smooth.

9. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171116 Thu@0730

Prep: none
    Shaving Soap: Wadi "Brushless" Men's Care
    Shaving Bowl: none
    Brush: none
    Straight Razor: Rockwell 6C (#4) WTG - XTG
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (3)
    Splash: Long Rifle "Bay Rhum"

So I was in a rush this morning but had a meeting so I decided to break out the much neglected DE and clean up. I received a jar of Wadi "Brushless" Men's Care shaving cream, in a contest, so I gave it a try. Here are my thoughts...

Wadi "Brushless" Men's Care Shaving Cream
    Ease to Lather: na
    Lather Volume: na
    Slickness: 7
    Scent Strength: none
    Scent: na
    Post Shave Feel: 6
    Cost: $15.99 (4oz tub from Wadi on Amazon)

So this is my 1st time using a brushless shaving cream and the work cream, for this product is misleading. I would call it more of a "salve" than a true cream. There is no scent to this, which was my 1st surprise. I put a small dab on my fingers and rubbed my hands together and then rubbed it into my face. It felt more like a thick lotion. There was no noticeable lather but it left my face slick. My razor glided across my face effortlessly. The one thing I did not like was; the fact I could not visually keep track of what areas I had already gone over with my razor. As there was no lather to contrast the just shaved areas. When trying to clean my razor; I found it necessary to loosen the top cap and shoot water under the blade in order to clear the cream from the razor head. The product was very slick but the post shave feel was so-so. Would I buy this product again... probably not. Could I recommend this to someone... probably not. Now I do see that this version of their cream is no longer available and the have a Lime scented cream available. Will I buy it... probably not.
    Have a great day everyone.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    LOOT and Keithmax like this.
  10. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171130 Thu@0645

Prep: Proraso "Red" Pre-Shave Cream
    Shaving Soap: Wild West Shave Co "Little Bighorn"
    Shaving Bowl: Captain's Choice Lather Bowl
    Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar Brush (22 mm x 55 mm)
    DE Razor: Gillette 109 "Black Beauty" (#6) WTG - XTG (face) WTG - XTG (neck)
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (3)
    Splash: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
    Splash: Proraso "Red"

Second day using Proraso Pre-Shave Cream and it is really winning me over. I absolutely can see using only this product for my Pre-Shave routine (sorry Stirling). This mornings shave, with a much neglected DE "Black Beauty" adjustable, was sublime. I could have stopped with the 1st pass and accepted the DFS results it brought. But I wanted to use a little bit more of the lather I had whipped up and had a second pass. Which then left me with BBS results.
    I also tried Diluting the Proraso "Red" aftershave with the Humphry's. The result was a milder scent, but still very much present. But unfortunately... the wife just doesn't like it. So I will use this as well as my "Bay Rhum" on the days we don't commute together.
    Hope everyone is having a great day!

11. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171201 Fri@0745

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shave Co "Medicine Man"
    Brush: Dogwood "Seascape" Badger\Boar Brush (24 mm x 55 mm)
    DE Razor: Gillette 109 "Black Beauty" (#6) WTG - XTG (face) WTG - XTG (neck)
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (1)
    Splash: Proraso "Red"

Received my new brush form Dogwood Handcrafts (Etsy) and this looks incredible. It is a wood/resin combination that is just fantastic. I also selected a combination knot; with both badger and boar hair. This brush has less backbone than any of my boars and soaks up twice as much water and lather as my boar brushes. I will have to get used to it, but I am very happy. Here is a LINK to the video of him making my brush. I will have pictures up later tonight.
    I am enjoying the Proraso Pre-Shave Cream so much, I have put away all my Pre-Shave Oils and have ordered the "Green" and the "White" versions of both the Pre-Shave Creams and Aftershaves.
    The Gillette 109 paired with a Feather blade works just perfect and there is really nothing more to be said about it. I am thinking of buying a New OC DE, just to have a verity of DE's to rotate through, when I am rushed and can't have a Straight Razor shave. I am thinking of getting the PAA "DOC" but we will see.
    Have a great day everyone.

LOOT likes this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Wow, 2 1/2 hour video. Beautiful brush

13. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

It is even more impressive in person. Well worth every cent.

14. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171204 mon@0500

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shave Co "Black Sails"
    DE Razor: Gillette Old OC Ball WTG (face) WTG (neck)
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (2)
    Splash: Stirling Citrus & Sandalwood "Blend"

Needed a cleanup before heading out to work this morning. So a single pass shave with a trusty OC razor this morning it was.
    Pre-Shave was great
    Shave Soap was great
    Brush is fantastic
    Razor was incredibly smooth
    All in All it was a FANTASTIC 1 pass DFS shave.
    Have a great week everyone!

sdguero and Keithmax like this.
  15. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171204 mon@2330

Shaving Soap: Long Rifle "Cedarwood | Lavender"
    DE Razor: Rockwell 6C (#4) WTG - XTG (face) WTG - XTG (neck)
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (2)
    Splash: Stirling Citrus & Sandalwood "Blend"

Decided for a quick late nite cleanup and decided on a different soap. Long Rifle is my personal #3 soap. With all of the available scents being really nice and the "Bay Rhum" being my favorite. So I whipped up a bowl of lather and had a perfect 2 pass DFS shave. I Also used my Rockwell 6C with plate #4, loaded with a Feather blade. The finished feel is very different form a straight razor. I have come to really appreciate my straight razor shaves now. After 12 hours I can still find myself rubbing my cheeks because they just feel that smooth.
    Anyhoo...
    Have a glorious day all.

LOOT, Keithmax and sdguero like this.